BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #45
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
Oz car confirmed - From video, steering wheel was on right.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #46
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Designs View Post
Thanks, it has been such a let down. I spent months researching, locating and finding a car, and now boom. I had suspension already selected and ready to go... Just such a pita.

I really do hope BMW steps up to the plate on this. I've been a long time fan, and believe they will right the situation... I do hope it doesn't end up in court. I guess having a lawyer as a sister can't hurt either. Just hope it doesn't go to that.
BMW WILL step up to the plate ....no reason not to do the right thing. My experience so far has been great getting BMW to step up and i am hoping they do this for you...BMW's a super platform across the board with ALL of there models but you sir will love the 135i once you get the suspension set where you want it. A bit of advice if you have not heard it yet....DO NOT RETAIN A LAWYER TILL YOU EXHAUSTED ALL YOUR RESOURCES WITH BMW...if your issue does not get resolved to your liking then get a your sister....
      07-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #47
BEAR-257
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 7DCT

I think if they replace the short block, which means the local guys will be partially be reassembling the engine from existing & new parts that an extended warranty on the engine would be a fair deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #48
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
BMW WILL step up to the plate ....no reason not to do the right thing. My experience so far has been great getting BMW to step up and i am hoping they do this for you...BMW's a super platform across the board with ALL of there models but you sir will love the 135i once you get the suspension set where you want it.
Thanks for the encouraging words. I really do hope so... I went to welt last summer instead of the Audi plant, so BMW will either gain a life long BMW enthusiast or one that shares the exact opposite for the company. I believe a company establishes itself in the consumers eye by how they handle their mistakes, not just making a good product. Time will tell, but thanks for the encouraging words.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #49
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Welcome to the world of BMW.. Great quality. It took my car a year to get all of the bugs worked out of it. It has been running GREAT now.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #50
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldnate View Post
over 30 days in the shop = bmw will buy it back.
HA!!!! I wish...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #51
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldnate
over 30 days in the shop = bmw will buy it back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
HA!!!! I wish...

I believe coldnate is correct.... CA lemon laws does say if a car is in the shop for longer then 30 it does fall under the CA lemon law.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #52
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Well guys, my experience thus far has been one of shock. Complete, utter and total bewilderment putting it mildly.

**updates. BMW is wanting to replace the entire engine now. It appears it was a spun bearing.

-Matt

Well thats good news.. and so you know, an "exchange engine" is a completely assembled engine from BMW, sans the manifolds and accessories etc etc. It is a much better choice then what we would call a "short block" because in BMW speak a short block is a totally bare block supplied with a box with the pistons that were fitted during machining, and thats it !! building that requires that each individuial part is transfered over from the defective block that can be reused, and then get the non reusable stuff new.. a tremendous PITA....

due to the metal in the pan..... they deemed the head and block non-usable.

feel good that you have a complete engine assembled from the same assy line that the orig one came from.

if available it takes 2 days to get engine... 2 more to get it in and tweeked.

Good Luck !!!
      07-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #53
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
It is a much better choice then what we would call a "short block" because in BMW speak a short block is a totally bare block supplied with a box with the pistons that were fitted during machining, and thats it !!
Good Luck !!!
Thanks for the information. I have been always under the impression that a short block always consisted of the bare block, hence why its called a short block? Does BMW's use of the term, "Short block" consist of anything other then a standard short block, as used by the automotive industry? I've been around engine builds for 10+ years, so I am somewhat familiar with what's involved, but I do appreciate it! I think that is also why I am expecting a new car, even if it is a complete engine.

Last edited by MD Designs; 07-07-2011 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #54
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Short block is the block, crank pistons etc etc. Long block is a short block with a head on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #55
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicker View Post
Short block is the block, crank pistons etc etc. Long block is a short block with a head on it.
Yep, that is my understanding as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #56
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicker View Post
Quote:
Yep, that is my understanding as well.
American iron / old school consider Short block with all rotating internals installed..

BMW does not have that ..BMW's short block consists of an aluminum hump with absolutly not one additional part not even the dowels. they supply a box with the pistons that were fitted ( measured and matched to bore) for the technician to install. , no crank,no rods, no bearings, nothing, nada, zilch...

BMW does not have a long block per-say.. they call it an exchange engine.. head installed comes with valve cover to oil pan sans any accessories or intake/ exhaust manifold. The timing gear comes installed already..
      07-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #57
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
American iron / old school consider Short block with all rotating internals installed..

BMW does not have that ..BMW's short block consists of an aluminum hump with absolutly not one additional part not even the dowels. they supply a box with the pistons that were fitted ( measured and matched to bore) for the technician to install. , no crank,no rods, no bearings, nothing, nada, zilch...

BMW does not have a long block per-say.. they call it an exchange engine.. head installed comes with valve cover to oil pan sans any accessories or intake/ exhaust manifold. The timing gear comes installed already..
Interesting. Thanks for the information.

Wiki: A short block is the portion of the engine block below the head gasket but above the oil pan. An in-block cam engine will also include the camshaft and timing gear. The overhead cam style of engine will not include the aforementioned parts on the shortblock. A shortblock is usually purchased to upgrade the water jacket, piston size or bore. Assemblies typically include the crankshaft installed and balanced along with the main bearing.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #58
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Apparently it is on backorder.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #59
rogm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I

what did they give you as a loaner? tell them you want to switch for an x5 M
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #60
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Apparently it is on backorder.
oh boy...

well BMW B/O's usually add 7 to 10 days to the wait ( shipping time from germany if available there)

considering the days you have down already, the days that you will be down waiting for the parts, and the repair time on top of the all important fact that it happened at 100ish miles >>>>> in my book they are not gonna have a choice but to find you another car.. my .02

I would ask nicely that they start to look for you and start the process with BMW...
      07-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #61
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks for the information.

Wiki: A short block is the portion of the engine block below the head gasket but above the oil pan. An in-block cam engine will also include the camshaft and timing gear. The overhead cam style of engine will not include the aforementioned parts on the shortblock. A shortblock is usually purchased to upgrade the water jacket, piston size or bore. Assemblies typically include the crankshaft installed and balanced along with the main bearing.
There is a saying in BMW land..

There's the right way

There's the wrong way

Then there is the BMW way. <<< they have always written there own rules LOL >>>>
      07-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #62
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

If i bought a NEW car and this happened to me.. My answer will be the deal is off I want another NEW car not another engine or whatever block they call it..

I would ask and press nicely toward that approach.. I think your case is super strong and you will have a shot at getting what you want..

Just remember as every1 said keep the lawyer as your last card to play..

If worse come to worse and they were able to get you that block/engine within 10 days or so, you should demand that they add at $0 cost to you an extended 6 years/100K miles warranty + Service plan that will cover everything. Just make sure the extended warranty should cover you bumber to bumber...Usually it costs ~ $4.5k.

just my $0.02 and Good luck..

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #63
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogm View Post
what did they give you as a loaner? tell them you want to switch for an x5 M
328i. The issue is really the mileage. Had to opt out of a trip already because we are only allowed 100 miles per day. Not to mention, I had to cancel all of my appointments for the 135i (tint / suspension / etc). It has been such a headache.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #64
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
If i bought a NEW car and this happened to me.. My answer will be the deal is off I want another NEW car not another engine or whatever block they call it..

I would ask and press nicely toward that approach.. I think your case is super strong and you will have a shot at getting what you want..

just my $0.02 and Good luck..
Thanks. At this stage we are demanding a new vehicle that's description matches what was sold. Nothing more... Well almost nothing....

I politely informed them that I specifically went out of my way to visit Welt last year during my automotive tour, instead of seeing the Audi factory. I am also requesting my money back for my entrance ticket, if they do not right the situation.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #65
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

you have more miles on the loaner than you do on your car...

thats bad

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #66
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
you have more miles on the loaner than you do on your car...

thats bad
That's not half as bad as when people are complimenting you on your new car, telling you made a good decision to buy a 4 door etc., and you then have to tell them that this is a loaner from bmw. Of course the next question is, "Where is your new car at then?"

I simply look at them with a smile, and tell them, "The engine blew up... Ya that's right... boom."
Appreciate 0