BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
deploytosave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

VRSF FMIC install 135i HALP!

so i have a question for you fine folks, today i installed my berk midpipe, and was working on my VRSF FMIC, when i ran into some issues..

i used a dremmel to cut out a good deal of plastic from the inside of the front bumper, but am still having issues with the hoses connecting to the intercooler..

i litterally have had screw drivers on these things trying to pry them in, but am not having any luck..

here are some photos of what i am working with, perhaps you guys could see something that i am not understanding, or missing?

Drivers side, will not go any further in

passenger side, as far as it goes

how its sitting, feels like its a little bit low?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

From the last picture, the FMIC is sitting way too low to connect any hoses to.
Is the FMIC hitting on the radiator and keeping it from being raised up, looks like it needs to be pushed further towards the front bumper.
And it looks like you are not on ramps, wow that has to be tight below the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
sour97
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Good luck brother
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
deploytosave
Private First Class
Rep

i think i just figured it all out, they sent me a band clamp, which didnt make any sense, because its "oem" connector ready.. but because of the tolerances, you have to remove the factory hoses, and put them on the intercooler first, then re attach the hoses onto the factory charge piping afterwards.. and iirc the band attaching the factory band is one time use only correct?
if thats the case, that would mean they intend on you having to take off the factory hoses, and having to re attach them with the supplied band clamp
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
deploytosave
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
From the last picture, the FMIC is sitting way too low to connect any hoses to.
Is the FMIC hitting on the radiator and keeping it from being raised up, looks like it needs to be pushed further towards the front bumper.
And it looks like you are not on ramps, wow that has to be tight below the car.
lol its on jack stands... but still, yes, its a tight fit

as i am 6'4 200lbs lol
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deploytosave View Post
i think i just figured it all out, they sent me a band clamp, which didnt make any sense, because its "oem" connector ready.. but because of the tolerances, you have to remove the factory hoses, and put them on the intercooler first, then re attach the hoses onto the factory charge piping afterwards.. and iirc the band attaching the factory band is one time use only correct?
if thats the case, that would mean they intend on you having to take off the factory hoses, and having to re attach them with the supplied band clamp
Why are you installing using oem hoses? Use the two black hoses and tbolt clamps provided by vrsf.

Yes the oem clamps are one time use. If you ever go back to stock youll have to use your own clamps.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
Why are you installing using oem hoses? Use the two black hoses and tbolt clamps provided by vrsf.

Yes the oem clamps are one time use. If you ever go back to stock youll have to use your own clamps.
Because I think he bought the one they sell that uses the stock piping similar to the HPF intercooler. I ordered the same one but am having second thoughts about it now!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
Because I think he bought the one they sell that uses the stock piping similar to the HPF intercooler. I ordered the same one but am having second thoughts about it now!

oh ok that makes sense. I dont think they made too many with oem connectors.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
This is the OEM version connector, we only made about 30 of these. We make mention on our website of the possibility that the OEM connector needs to be removed and attached into the intercooler separately and then re-installed as a whole.

The install process is essentially the same as the 2.75" connector kit but it's a bit quicker since you have less t-bolts

The driver side band clamp can be removed with a flat head screw driver by prying right at the seam, but the passenger side generally requires a dremel to remove it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Also, the FMIC is way too low in that picture, that'll also prevent these from fitting in there

After removing the connectors and inserting them into the OEM intercooler, I generally use the supplied braces to keep the FMIC supported up in the right position.

The braces utilize a spacer which replaces the front most sway bar mount nut. You can hand tighten them and just swing them under the FMIC to keep everything in place. Then you can tighten those mounts, followed by the ear tabs.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
deploytosave
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Also, the FMIC is way too low in that picture, that'll also prevent these from fitting in there

After removing the connectors and inserting them into the OEM intercooler, I generally use the supplied braces to keep the FMIC supported up in the right position.

The braces utilize a spacer which replaces the front most sway bar mount nut. You can hand tighten them and just swing them under the FMIC to keep everything in place. Then you can tighten those mounts, followed by the ear tabs.
got it, i appreciate you stepping in and helping with this

i am going to go play with it some more here in a few mins, and will report back with my finding, and any tips i come across for future customers
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Feel free to PM us if you have any additional questions regarding install, I'm here all day
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
deploytosave
Private First Class
Rep

soooo, it ended up being that i just hadnt taken enough plastic out with the ol dremel lol

i got it installed... but now my issue is that i had taken out those two supports for the radiator on each side, (the giant clips)

and there is no way IN HELLLLL those are gonna go back on... any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I honestly have no idea what modification you're referring to. Can you send me a pic?

What year is your car. I have noticed that certain early years have a piece of plastic that is sometimes in the way and can be removed via those clips. I've removed the clips once and had to use a jack to get it back in.

You shouldn't have had to remove any of that section to get the intercooler in though.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
deploytosave
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
I honestly have no idea what modification you're referring to. Can you send me a pic?

What year is your car. I have noticed that certain early years have a piece of plastic that is sometimes in the way and can be removed via those clips. I've removed the clips once and had to use a jack to get it back in.

You shouldn't have had to remove any of that section to get the intercooler in though.
its an 08

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #16
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You shouldn't have to touch that to install the intercooler
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #17
deploytosave