BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
DCD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Looks like I'm getting Space Grey

Well after BMW shipped my car to NZ as an auto instead of a manual and I had to reorder it, I just got a call yesterday and got told that it will not be SGM as I had originally ordered, but will now be coming as Space Grey.

This means it's a 2009 year model, but I'm not sure what else I'll be getting. The dealer hadn't heard anything about the iDrive being different for 09 1 series, only for 3 series and 7 series. I would think that once the factory starts making the car in 09 spec then all cars would get all get the new bits, but I guess I'll have to wait and see. I'm on the fence about it though because I like the sound of the new HDD based system, but I don't like the fixed screen.

I hope I like this space grey on the 1 I went and saw a M3 that they had there in SG and compared to the SGM it's much much lighter.

Man it's just one thing after the other with this car and I don't even have it yet!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
subscience
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

They're both beautiful colors. I know I would be happy with either!

08 jet black 135i | sport, 6-mt
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
How long is it going to take for you to get the new car DCD?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
DCD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Yeah the Space Grey looks nice from pics I've seen the 3 series in but I the same color can look different on different cars so I'm reserving judgment until I see a 135i in Space Grey

I should be getting the car sometime in October. I should have been driving it for over a month now! I see you have one arriving in October too? I guess after they fire up the factory again in September and make the cars it takes them a while to get down to our side of the world! Do you know if you are getting the new iDrive as yours will be a 09 year model as well?

Oh well at least after seeing the M3 I know Space Grey looks good with Carbon Fiber so all the free CF bits they are chucking on for getting the wrong car in should look nice!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Mine is getting built next week (no. 35). I'm not fussed about the iDrive as I didn't order Nav as I don't use those things.

Shipping to Australia takes 4-6 weeks depending on which side of the island you're on, so I expect 6 or 7 weeks to UnZud? On top of that is the 5-10 days for the dealer to do prep before you take delivery.

Mate stick your head over the the Australia regional forum too sometime, we have a good group of people over there
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
DCD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Ah I see. I'm a toy guy I can't help myself

Yeah I think it's about 6 weeks for shipping down here? I hear a large part of the shipping delay can come down to how full the boat is. I guess little ol NZ isn't big enough to get full boats going out all the time.

Cheers I will check that regional forum out. I've never really looked in there before but I'll start
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCD View Post
Ah I see. I'm a toy guy I can't help myself

Yeah I think it's about 6 weeks for shipping down here? I hear a large part of the shipping delay can come down to how full the boat is. I guess little ol NZ isn't big enough to get full boats going out all the time.

Cheers I will check that regional forum out. I've never really looked in there before but I'll start
Space Gray is a great colour! Im sure things will be great!
Cant wait to see Auckland again when i go back home for a visit at the end of this year.

Btw did you get it from team mcmillan?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 02:58 AM   #8
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
I think you will be in luck with the new iDrive. Mine is an 09 build (first week of September) and I am definitely getting the new idrive and navigation. You went for Professional Navigation right?

As for the fixed screen, it's hard to say how good that will look but the new screen has a much higher resolution and displays images much better than the old one. And I have played with the new idrive in a 3er and it is soooo much better than the old one. Really glad I delayed my order so I could get it.

So don't worry :smile:

As for the colour, space grey is nice. I just looked at the BMW NZ configurator and you do have a really limited colour choice! Le Mans blue is also a really nice colour. And of course Sedona Red but then I'm a little biased...
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
GigEm93
1derful
Rep
Drives: SGM 135

So what are you getting for your trouble and your time since they mucked up your first order, and they couldn't fulfill your order completely the 2nd time? I smell a big discount, or some free options/accessories.
      08-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
DCD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Yeah I'm hoping that I get the new iDrive. My salesman told me that I'll be getting Bluetooth for free now, so I"m hoping thats tied into other changes in the stereo/iDrive system
Yeah everyone here that has used it says that it's much better than the old one, so I guess thats the compromise. I'd rather have the flip down screen but if the system is much better then I guess it's all good.

Yeah Space Grey looks pretty good on the 3 series, but I think that it's a bit plainer than the SGM. SGM has more depth and just looks a bit more interesting to me.

Yeah I got the car from Team McMillan.

For mucking up the order the first time they have thrown in a free CF diffuser and CF mirrors, as well as install of some other bits that I have coming from Dan. Quite a bit of moneys worth over here in NZ, the CF spoiler is $1200 over here so I imagine the diffuser and mirrors will be rather pricey.
I haven't discussed anything about the colour with them, but I've told them that I'll only take the car if I decide I like it when I see it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #11
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
I see that BMW NZ updated their website to show the new iDrive from 1 September so I think that pretty much confirms the 09 builds are getting it. Hope you like your car when it finally arrives. Still enjoying the 123D?

I'm in New Zealand in January although only Wellington and Masterton. Otherwise I'd pop by for a look at your car!
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
DCD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Ah have they? Interesting I might have to give the dealership a call one day and see if they can give me an official low down on whats happening.
Yeah a few things have changed on it so hopefully it still meets all my expectations!

Yeah the 123 is good. It's a nice chill out cruising car I feel. Easy to drive conservatively so I'm taking the opportunity to save money on gas, because I know thats al going out the window when I get my 135!

Ah thats a pity it would be great to show off the car to another 1addict
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #13
imported_McLovin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

My car went in to be serviced this weekend and I got a space gray X5 as a loaner. I must admit that the more I look at it the more the color grows on me. I think you'll be pleased.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #14
DCD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Yeah I've been seeing a 335i that I'm pretty sure is Space Grey driving around where I work. It looks pretty good, but colours can look quite different on different cars. Fingers crossed it looks great on the 135!
Appreciate 0