BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Talking Took my neighbor for a spin...

Over the past month my neighbor has been asking me for a ride in my e88. He hears me every morning fire her up and drive up the street taking the kids to school and every day coming home with them. He sees me in the garage with the car up on jacks tooling away replacing this or modding that and he's been quite curious about what I've been up to.

Now, I've taken him for a ride in my 2007 335 (with just a JB4) and my 2008 STi (like a gutted race car with a back seat) so he's had the privilege to experience my automobile evolution. Me personally, the 335 was too heavy and long, was by far the largest vehicle I've ever owned. The STi was tons of fun, but felt cheap and out of place for me (like a grown man trying to pretend he's still a kid). The 135 though, it's just enough sophistication to go out on a date with my wife. To one of those fancy "coat and tie" dinners and get the nod of respect from the valets as I drop my wife off at the door (yeah right, like I would let those idiots have the keys!) and still be able to drive around with my backwards cap and t-shirt while running errands.

So my neighbor walks over one day and asks if he can go for a ride, I say sure but my schedule is kind of crazy. My neighbor is a semi-retired airline pilot so he's got more time to spare than I and we leave it as a "when I get a chance". Last night that chance presented itself and I called him to see if he was free. I roll over to his house and before I could honk or text him, he was out the door walking towards me (I guess my exhaust is louder than I thought). He stops 5 feet from my car (I have the top down) and he's just taking in the car's profile. Black paint, Beige interior with the stock 5 spoke rims (I have to admit, I love these rims more than anything), the time is Twilight and my car is relatively freshly cleaned (i.e. prior day). He stands there and comments about the beauty of it all, I can't argue there.

Leaving our neighborhood there are a lot of little streets to wind through before we get to the highway, just long enough to hit that 160*F oil temp as we reach the onramp. This whole time, I'm keeping it under 3k RPM, dogging it and keeping the speed very very...legal. As we enter the highway, I notice a nice 1 mile of open road, took a gander behind and saw nothing to "impede" my better judgment to floor it. 3rd gear, ~3,200RPM I go WOT! Immediately the turbo's spool up to 16PSI, quickly climbing to their 20PSI peak before backing back off as we reach redline. 4th gear, turbo's surge as my custom tune holds timing and keeps the pressure from evacuating, the surge of power kicks us back into the seats once again, car keeps climbing as the turbo spool can be heard through the VTT inlets as well as the cat-less exhaust. We hit 130 and I back it off. Looking over, my neighbors eyes are WIDE open, a grin from ear to ear as his brain takes in what just happened.

As we slow back to legal limits he slowly starts to collect words and formulates a sentence: "I've never felt power like that before!" This coming from a guy who was a fighter pilot in the air force and flies 737's as his day job. He asks how fast we were and I said "somewhere around 130-ish"... "REALLY, wow!??". We talk about what I've done to the car, the mods, the software. He talks about how his son's Ducati 959 (which he just got) doesn't feel that fast. I highly doubt that to be true, but on a bike, I imagine, he wouldn't go WOT just from fear alone.

Two exits up I take a cloverleaf...in 3rd gear 4500rpm pushing it the whole way around. He's gripping the door handle like my son grips his blanky. I exit the cloverleaf punching through 4th one more time before I slow. I take a left turn and head up some country roads. We get to a section of road that was recently repaved, long, straight and flat. I stop. He asks me what I'm doing as I press the DTC button for 5 seconds, I give him a side glance grin as the triangle appears in my cluster and I mash the throttle down while stomping on the brakes. A second later I release the brakes as we leave a trail of smoke and the last couple millimeters of my tire's tread behind. 1-2-3 I hit 80 and relax. Without looking at him I just say "0-60 3.8 seconds" he starts to laugh.

At this point the sun is pretty much gone and we're into the night which tends to bring out more dangers as animals start to move about. So I casually head back towards home. When I drop him off his legs seem a bit wobbly. He thanks me for the drive and congratulates me on my car. I laugh and admit that he's the first person to actually get a true "drive" in my car because no one else would dare go, except my family...who are bound by blood and the law.

All in all, my neighbor (who practically owns a fleet of Honda's) said he might just have to buy a BMW now.

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods

Last edited by rhodesman; 08-05-2016 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: my English teacher made me do it!
Appreciate 4
      08-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
Over the past month my neighbor has been asking me for a ride in my e88. He hears me every morning fire her up and drive up the street taking the kids to school and every day coming home with them. He sees me in the garage with the car up on jacks tooling away replacing this or modding that and he's been quite curious about what I've been up to.

Now, I've taken him for a ride in my 2007 335 (with just a JB4) and my 2008 STi (like a gutted race car with a back seat) so he's had the privilege to experience my automobile evolution. Me personally, the 335 was too heavy and long, was by far the largest vehicle I've ever owned. The STi was tons of fun, but felt cheap and out of place for me (like a grown man trying to pretend he's still a kid). The 135 though, it's just enough sophistication to go out on a date with my wife. To one of those fancy "coat and tie" dinners and get the nod of respect from the valets as I drop my wife off at the door (yeah right, like I would let those idiots have the keys!) and still be able to drive around with my backwards cap and t-shirt while running errands.

So my neighbor walks over one day and asks if he can go for a ride, I say sure but my schedule is kind of crazy. My neighbor is a semi-retired airline pilot so he's got more time to spare than I and we leave it as a "when I get a chance". Last night that chance presented itself and I called him to see if he was free. I roll over to his house and before I could honk or text him, he was out the door walking towards me (I guess my exhaust is louder than I thought). He stops 5 feet from my car (I have the top down) and he's just taking in the car's profile. Black paint, Beige interior with the stock 5 spoke rims (I have to admit, I love these rims more than anything), the time is Twilight and my car is relatively freshly cleaned (i.e. prior day). He stands there and comments about the beauty of it all, I can't argue there.

Leaving our neighborhood there are a lot of little streets to wind through before we get to the highway, just long enough to hit that 160*F oil temp as we reach the onramp. This whole time, I'm keeping it under 3k RPM, dogging it and keeping the speed very very...legal. As we enter the highway, I notice a nice 1 mile of open road, took a gander behind and saw nothing to "impede" my better judgment to floor it. 3rd gear, ~3,200RPM I go WOT! Immediately the turbo's spool up to 16PSI, quickly climbing to their 20PSI peak before backing back off as we reach redline. 4th gear, turbo's surge as my custom tune holds timing and keeps the pressure from evacuating, the surge of power kicks us back into the seats once again car keeps climbing as the turbo spool can be heard through the VTT inlets as well as the cat-less exhaust, we hit 130 and I back it off. Looking over my neighbors eyes are WIDE open, a grin from ear to ear as his brain takes in what just happened.

As we slow back to legal limits he slowly starts to collect words and formulates a sentence: "I've never felt power like that before!" This coming from a guy who was a fighter pilot in the air force and flies 737's as his day job. He asks how fast we were and I said "somewhere around 130-ish"... "REALLY, wow!??". We talk about what I've done to the car, the mods, the software. He talks about how his son's Ducati 959 (which he just got) doesn't feel that fast. I highly doubt that to be true, but on a bike, I imagine, he wouldn't go WOT just from fear alone.

Two exits up I take a cloverleaf...in 3rd gear 4500rpm pushing it the whole way around. He's gripping the door handle like my son grips his blanket when he's scared. I exit the cloverleaf punching through 4th one more time before I slow. I take a left turn and head up some country roads. We get to a section of road that was recently repaved, long, straight and flat, I stop. He asks me what I'm doing as I press the DTC button for 5 seconds, I give him a side glance grin as the triangle appears in my cluster and I mash the throttle down while stomping on the brakes, a second later I release the brakes as we leave a trail of smoke and the last couple millimeters of my tire's tread behind. 1-2-3 I hit 80 and relax. Without looking at him I just say "0-60 3.8 seconds" he starts to laugh.

At this point the sun is pretty much gone and we're into the night which tends to bring out more dangers as animals start to move about. So I casually head back towards home. When I drop him off his legs seem a bit wobbly. He thanks me for the drive and congratulates me on my car. I laugh and admit that he's the first person to actually get a true "drive" in my car because no one else would dare to go, except my family...who are bound by blood and law.

All in all, my neighbor (who practically owns a fleet of Honda's) said he might just have to buy a BMW now.
Gotta say I almost did a TL;DR when I first saw how long this was but that's some quality writing! (rare on these forums). I really love the 1 series, it's such a special car and very underrated.
Appreciate 4
rhodesman112.50
Dackelone10527.50
Kev!n27.00
      08-05-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
VazzVenom
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Was a pleasure to read and really captures the feeling of driving these fun little cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #4
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Succinct and well written
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Great story. Thanks for sharing!

08-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Nice to see you sharing your experiences with others.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Was that article also submitted to the Penthouse Forum? Outstanding, so much so it barely sounded believable!!
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #8
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Thanks everyone for the kind words. My English teacher would be proud. It was fun to finally have someone other than me really experience the joy and insanity that these cars deliver.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 10:47 PM   #9
PawlyGuNNz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM 6spd MT N54

Great story man!
      08-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #10
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Wow, not gonna lie I had a smile in my face as I read through it.
Pretty sure you're going to see him roll up in a BMW pretty soon..
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #11
JM_128
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i with M Package

Great writing, only missing is a pic of that E88 ?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 12:07 PM   #12
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM_128 View Post
Great writing, only missing is a pic of that E88 ?
Yes... post some nice pics!
      08-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #13
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Yes... post some nice pics!
well.... okay, sure!

Here are a couple, kind of older ones but apparently I haven;t been taking many pictures of my car recently

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 2
Esteban43339.00
      08-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #14
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I love those rims as well. Had them on my first 1er and think they are a pretty great looking stock wheel. Better looking IMO than some of the popular aftermarket wheels we see here on the forum.

Last edited by Esteban; 08-06-2016 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0