BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #23
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

I must be a wuss because I have the DCT and rarely touch the paddles. What I have noticed is the DCT does a forced downshift faster than any other car I have driven with an automatic. It does it faster than most people could do with a manual. This isn't something one uses five times a year on a track. In everyday driving it is invaluable. Just press the sport button and go.
      04-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #24
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
I must be a wuss because I have the DCT and rarely touch the paddles. What I have noticed is the DCT does a forced downshift faster than any other car I have driven with an automatic. It does it faster than most people could do with a manual. This isn't something one uses five times a year on a track. In everyday driving it is invaluable. Just press the sport button and go.
bingo

i love the forced downshift when driving full auto when going up a hill or around a sharp turn

04-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #25
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
I was ready to comment about how everyone is so defensive about the particular transmission they drive (i.e. AT guys and gals love their AT, etc.). My next comment was going to be that 6MT is so much better than the others (notice the irony). In a moment of realization, or an epiphany perhaps, I think it became obvious there is no best transmission, only a best choice for each driver. I've driven the automatics, and it is an excellent auto (the best I've ever driven). I've driven other DCTs and ridden in them many times, and it shifts really fast and is cool. You as the buyer have to determine which transmission is the best fit for your wants and needs, then buy that. The only bad decision is a compromise! In general, if someone says they want a stick but are concerned about traffic, I would suggest they don't get a MT. Once you are committed driving a stick it is no different than an auto or dct for normal driving, and if this is your mentality a MT is not for you IMO. It becomes somewhat second nature. For me, the involvement with a stick cannot be replaced with quick shift times, and I just don't feel connected without a 3rd pedal, but I can respect all of the transmissions. Good luck in your search, and I'm sure you'll be happy regardless.

Tim
      04-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #26
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhatimay View Post
I was ready to comment about how everyone is so defensive about the particular transmission they drive (i.e. AT guys and gals love their AT, etc.). My next comment was going to be that 6MT is so much better than the others (notice the irony). In a moment of realization, or an epiphany perhaps, I think it became obvious there is no best transmission, only a best choice for each driver. I've driven the automatics, and it is an excellent auto (the best I've ever driven). I've driven other DCTs and ridden in them many times, and it shifts really fast and is cool. You as the buyer have to determine which transmission is the best fit for your wants and needs, then buy that. The only bad decision is a compromise! In general, if someone says they want a stick but are concerned about traffic, I would suggest they don't get a MT. Once you are committed driving a stick it is no different than an auto or dct for normal driving, and if this is your mentality a MT is not for you IMO. It becomes somewhat second nature. For me, the involvement with a stick cannot be replaced with quick shift times, and I just don't feel connected without a 3rd pedal, but I can respect all of the transmissions. Good luck in your search, and I'm sure you'll be happy regardless.

Tim
Nicely said and I couldn't agree more!