BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-03-2017, 10:26 PM   #1
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
ISO wavetrac LSD reviews...

Planning to finally do an LSD for my 135i 6MT in the next few weeks and after some research and lots of dumb questions have settled on a wavetrac. Same gear ratio 3.08 as OEM, car is DD. Considering doing ring and pinion polishing as well as gear polishing (+$400 from the shop I'm buying the LSD from)

Any wavetrac guys out there have any issues/complaints/suggestions/recommendations etc?

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #2
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhill19 View Post
Planning to finally do an LSD for my 135i 6MT in the next few weeks and after some research and lots of dumb questions have settled on a wavetrac. Same gear ratio 3.08 as OEM, car is DD. Considering doing ring and pinion polishing as well as gear polishing (+$400 from the shop I'm buying the LSD from)

Any wavetrac guys out there have any issues/complaints/suggestions/recommendations etc?
What shop is this? I am looking for one to put in this spring. Can't decide on what to get. I am kind of leaning toward a clutch type, but the performance oriented clutch type LSD's are ridiculously expensive and really on offered by Dan at diff online.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhill19 View Post

What shop is this? I am looking for one to put in this spring. Can't decide on what to get. I am kind of leaning toward a clutch type, but the performance oriented clutch type LSD's are ridiculously expensive and really on offered by Dan at diff online.
Lol same seller but he recommends using ace performance in Tewksbury for the install. All in $3,000 for the diff, polishing and installation (gotta double check that $ but pretty sure that's what his last Email said)

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 12:46 AM   #4
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

I ran a 3.08 wavetrac in my e90 and am running a 3.46 wavetrac in my 135, no polishing or other, from Dan as well. It's awesome with the new gearing. Still fine for DD.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 07:59 AM   #5
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
I ran a 3.08 wavetrac in my e90 and am running a 3.46 wavetrac in my 135, no polishing or other, from Dan as well. It's awesome with the new gearing. Still fine for DD.
How do you like the 3.46 for track? These cars already make massive torque down low, I can't possibly see any reason why you'd want to run a shorter ratio diff. But, people do it and love it so what do I know...

I am thinking Mfactory helical w/ 3.08. I was talked out of a clutch type by a track enthusiast who says the helical is superior/smoother in every way for power delivery... except when you lift a tire of course... better for a DD in snow too.
Appreciate 1
NORAGRETS440.50
      12-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #6
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
How do you like the 3.46 for track? These cars already make massive torque down low, I can't possibly see any reason why you'd want to run a shorter ratio diff. But, people do it and love it so what do I know...

I am thinking Mfactory helical w/ 3.08. I was talked out of a clutch type by a track enthusiast who says the helical is superior/smoother in every way for power delivery... except when you lift a tire of course... better for a DD in snow too.
M factory had a recall for their diff's...I won't buy one personally. Wavetrac all the way

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:

The benefit of the wavetrac it is a helical gear type LSD, but it also has a special ramp system to keep power going to both tires even if you lift one. Sounds like the best of both worlds!
      12-05-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:

Get the 3.08, I have the 3.46 that i got for a price I couldn't refuse, but I would have rather had the stock gearing ultimately. If you do get the 3.46 get your car tuned to give you peak power as high in the power band as possible.

The 3.46 would be better if you were doing drag racing and not trying to get high hp numbers
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
Get the 3.08, I have the 3.46 that i got for a price I couldn't refuse, but I would have rather had the stock gearing ultimately. If you do get the 3.46 get your car tuned to give you peak power as high in the power band as possible.

The 3.46 would be better if you were doing drag racing and not trying to get high hp numbers
You're way off. For roll racing and drag, you'd want the 3.08. Sure, it helps to move your powerband as far to the right as possible, which you can help when running stock turbos with upgraded inlets and a custom tune, but a 3.08 is LONG. 3.46 still isn't even that short. Some of the NA M3 guys run 3.93's and 4+. The 3.46 is the best of both worlds. I didn't enjoy staying in one gear and loading up the car so much on track with the 3.08. The car finally feels alive with the 3.46. SO responsive. Just step on it in any gear and the car is awake and ready to party.

You can see it on track here. Perhaps not the best track to show it off, as I could have used a longer 4th gear here, or a shift to 5th, but the car just rips. I'll never go back.

Also, for what it's worth, these Wavetrac diffs are no joke. I beat the piss out of my e90, from drifts to donuts to burnouts to track days and canyon runs. Not a single issue over 35,000 miles. Which is why I got another one without hesitation for my e82 project.

Just watch it boogie to 120.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #10
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You're way off. For roll racing and drag, you'd want the 3.08.
I'd agree with this depending on the power curve.

Quote:
You can see it on track here. Perhaps not the best track to show it off, as I could have used a longer 4th gear here, or a shift to 5th, but the car just rips. I'll never go back.
I guess on a road course it's less impactful where you can keep rpms above 4k and torque is already falling off. However, I am thinking that from an autocross perspective 3.46 would be impossible to use in 1st and 2nd gear. I already spin 275 rcomps in 2nd with ease.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #11
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
You're way off. For roll racing and drag, you'd want the 3.08. Sure, it helps to move your powerband as far to the right as possible, which you can help when running stock turbos with upgraded inlets and a custom tune, but a 3.08 is LONG. 3.46 still isn't even that short. Some of the NA M3 guys run 3.93's and 4+. The 3.46 is the best of both worlds. I didn't enjoy staying in one gear and loading up the car so much on track with the 3.08. The car finally feels alive with the 3.46. SO responsive. Just step on it in any gear and the car is awake and ready to party.

Also, for what it's worth, these Wavetrac diffs are no joke. I beat the piss out of my e90, from drifts to donuts to burnouts to track days and canyon runs. Not a single issue over 35,000 miles. Which is why I got another one without hesitation for my e82 project.

Just watch it boogie to 120.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-kUFEgs8_o&t=0
I should have elaborated more on that lol. I have no doubt 3.46 rips since I have that gearing lol. In general, I just think 3.08 is more flexible with the torque that this car can make. I guess it ultimately depends on what track you want to take it on.

Tbh, I think the 3.46 gears are better at everything at my power level, launching 3.46 gearing is a lot faster, I have no doubt that my 1/4 time is quicker and it's significantly faster from a roll. My gripe with it is I find I end up needing to shift at inconvenient times and I find I just leave it up a gear to avoid being at high rpm out of the powerband.

Also, fwiw every time I wish some gears were a bit taller I punch it in 1st, 2nd and 3rd I shut myself up . I'm not really saying it's a bad choice though and it actually fits perfectly with the car when I dial back the tune.

*shrug*
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #12
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
I should have elaborated more on that lol. I have no doubt 3.46 rips since I have that gearing lol. In general, I just think 3.08 is more flexible with the torque that this car can make. I guess it ultimately depends on what track you want to take it on.

Tbh, I think the 3.46 gears are better at everything at my power level, launching 3.46 gearing is a lot faster, I have no doubt that my 1/4 time is quicker and it's significantly faster from a roll. My gripe with it is I find I end up needing to shift at inconvenient times and I find I just leave it up a gear to avoid being at high rpm out of the powerband.

Also, fwiw every time I wish some gears were a bit taller I punch it in 1st, 2nd and 3rd I shut myself up . I'm not really saying it's a bad choice though and it actually fits perfectly with the car when I dial back the tune.

*shrug*
Yeah, I just found the opposite. With the 3.08 I found that I was just always too low in RPM, loading the car up, lugging it out of turns. Everyone's complaining about the big torque hit with the stock turbos and wheelspin. This is because 90% of the dudes run these OTS maps that request 18psi at 2200rpm. That is fun on the street, but your tires can't cope on the track or auto-x, especially with the short wheelbase.

Boost by gear is 1 step in the right direction, but tuning for a more linear boost and power curve is another completely.
Appreciate 0