BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Which one do you recommend based on what I'm looking for?
KW Variant 2 13 44.83%
KW Street Comfort 11 37.93%
Other brand (please mention it) 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

08-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Lightbulb Need Help: KW Street Comfort vs. KW V2

Hi guys. Planning to do suspension upgrade after I'm done with wheels and tires approximately next month. I'm looking to improve the car performance without sacrificing the comfort at all. Comfort is my priority since I live in an area with many potholes and cracks. I use my car as dd without any track or auto cross time. So basically something comfortable for commuter with increase on performance side.

I'm opting out the damper set+lowering spring because some said lowering spring is stiffer and opting out KW V1 because the price gap between KW V1 and street comfort is not that huge, so why not if I can get more adjustable coilover?

Any of you have try street comfort before? I'm looking for pros and cons of both KW V2 and KW street comfort. I'm looking just for mild drop. I don't really know what's the different between progressive springs (V2) and linear springs (street comfort), so it will be really appreciated if someone can chime on that.

Please help me out here. Any picture, detail explanation are welcome.

Thank you guys!
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Get comfort for comfort. Kw2 for performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeetur
Get comfort for comfort. Kw2 for performance.
Got it. Thanks man!
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Lowering springs aren't necessarily 'stiffer.' You need to find the right set of springs for your application. Shocks + Springs is a great option especially if you want comfort with a little bit of performance thrown in. Konis + Swift Spec Rs are a great way to start. There are some threads floating around regarding technicalities. Go read some of the threads!

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport
Lowering springs aren't necessarily 'stiffer.' You need to find the right set of springs for your application. Shocks + Springs is a great option especially if you want comfort with a little bit of performance thrown in. Konis + Swift Spec Rs are a great way to start. There are some threads floating around regarding technicalities. Go read some of the threads!

-Mike
Actually my first option was Bilstein B12 with Eibach Pro kit. I don't exactly know what's the difference between coil and damper+lowering spring. Do you mind giving me some? I know some coils are adjustable by both height and dampening ratio. Also, which one do you recommend for the shock, Bilstein or Koni yellow?

I'm really interested with KW sleeve-over kit too bad it's not available for 135i.

Last edited by CL 19; 08-07-2013 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep

eibach is junk. compared to KW. comfort makes u feel planted to the road, without it being so stiff. comfort is almost like stock but stiffer in a good RAIL way. when i go over dips really fast it will plant me down. instead of bouncing up and slamming back jarringly hope u get what im trying to say. also i had H&R coilover too they were to stiff. im telling you if you want comfort go KW comfort everything else would be perofmance or stiff ride.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeetur
eibach is junk. compared to KW. comfort makes u feel planted to the road, without it being so stiff. comfort is almost like stock but stiffer in a good RAIL way. when i go over dips really fast it will plant me down. instead of bouncing up and slamming back jarringly hope u get what im trying to say. also i had H&R coilover too they were to stiff. im telling you if you want comfort go KW comfort everything else would be perofmance or stiff ride.
I understand what you're trying to say. After all the different is not too much from shock/spring set to coilover. Do you know anything about auto fortune coilover?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
giOsaurus rEx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP

KWs feel stock-like while giving you the planted feel. I like suspension for a sports car to be stiffer than that. It's all personal preference, but I will never install "comfort" springs/coils on a sports coupe. With that said, what are your goals? Stance? Subtle drop? It all depends on what your aiming for. Look into ST Coilovers also.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

I know you're trying to say better for me get something stiffer for a price of street comfort. I'm looking for just mild drop with better handling but keeping the comfort level. I daily drive my car and no intention to track or auto cross it.

The reason I don't want to get something too stiff is because I live in an area with quite a lot of potholes.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just got back from Houston. And street comfort will work fine. Don't get st or kw1 u can't adjust them.kw2 is tune for track. I dunno anything about auto fortune. Or u can pm Harold for HPA and ask him what he suggest. They can do custom setups.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #11
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Okay. I will probably ask him about it and probably about AST but I think the most street oriented will be street comfort
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #12
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I am very happy with my SC setup. Feel free to PM me.

I was surprised when I was researching 2 years ago that there were very few 1's with SC's. The linear springs, moderate drop, daily drivability and planted feel was a good decision for me. It transformed my car compared to the msport setup. The rear doesn't bounce on me, cornering doesn't induce sway... yet the drive is comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Sounds really good to me. Sure thing sir, I will PM you if I have further questions. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
giOsaurus rEx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19 View Post
I know you're trying to say better for me get something stiffer for a price of street comfort. I'm looking for just mild drop with better handling but keeping the comfort level. I daily drive my car and no intention to track or auto cross it.

The reason I don't want to get something too stiff is because I live in an area with quite a lot of potholes.
Sounds like ST coilovers will work fine for you. Like the V1s, you can adjust ride height and keep the factory-like comfort. You won't need damper adjustment for a car you won't be tracking. My two sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

I will probably get KW Street Comfort since I got a good deal on that and costs nearly the same with KW V1. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Actually my first option was Bilstein B12 with Eibach Pro kit. I don't exactly know what's the difference between coil and damper+lowering spring. Do you mind giving me some? I know some coils are adjustable by both height and dampening ratio. Also, which one do you recommend for the shock, Bilstein or Koni yellow?

I'm really interested with KW sleeve-over kit too bad it's not available for 135i.
I would highly recommend the Koni Yellows. I see you have gotten a good deal on the KW sleeve overs and they are not a bad option. I don't know too much in way of the Bilsteins, but in my honest opinion I like the Koni's performance over the KW.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #17
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport
Quote:

I would highly recommend the Koni Yellows. I see you have gotten a good deal on the KW sleeve overs and they are not a bad option. I don't know too much in way of the Bilsteins, but in my honest opinion I like the Koni's performance over the KW.

-Mike
How about the longevity of Koni yellow compared to KW? I'm opting for KW more since I can adjust the dampening ratio for few hundred bucks more than koni yellow
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #18
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How about the longevity of Koni yellow compared to KW? I'm opting for KW more since I can adjust the dampening ratio for few hundred bucks more than koni yellow
Adjustability really doesn't matter much in terms of longevity. E36 guys have been running Konis since dinosaurs walked the earth (of course they have updated their shock designs overtime for different platforms). Koni's have been proven to last longer and contain a better design than sleeve over kits from KW. Once again, this is just my observation from a performance and build quality standpoint. Hope it helps a little.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #19
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

No, I understand about the longevity and I ask that completely separate from the adjustability. I'm saying with few hundred bucks more I can get the adjustable dampening ratio.

I'm getting full coils, street comfort because sleeve over kit is not available for 135i. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:23 AM   #20
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

B12 best what I did to my car looks good feels even better...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #21
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

I just put ST's on my car and I'm super impressed with the ride comfort.. I commute 45 miles a day on shitty Dallas roads so it's a pretty big deal for me. I was fully prepared to sell them if not satisfied, but I'm very happy! I'm sure the KW SC's would be a great choice, as KW makes ST's..
      08-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #22
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36addict
I just put ST's on my car and I'm super impressed with the ride comfort.. I commute 45 miles a day on shitty Dallas roads so it's a pretty big deal for me. I was fully prepared to sell them if not satisfied, but I'm very happy! I'm sure the KW SC's would be a great choice, as KW makes ST's..
Glad to hear that man! Really appreciate your help here. Most likely I will get the KW street comfort if I decide on suspension upgrade. Thanks
Appreciate 0