BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-30-2009, 06:15 AM   #1
Tj303
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

Where to go for wheel alignments?

Hi guys

So i've done about 7500km in my car and i need to get a wheel alignment... The guy from the BMW service center said that when they do a wheel alignment they "adjust the steering angle sensors" which only BMW can do.

So do i fork out $330 as quoted by BMW, or just go to the local Jax or Bob Jane and pay $50?

Cheers
      12-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj303 View Post
Hi guys

So i've done about 7500km in my car and i need to get a wheel alignment... The guy from the BMW service center said that when they do a wheel alignment they "adjust the steering angle sensors" which only BMW can do.

So do i fork out $330 as quoted by BMW, or just go to the local Jax or Bob Jane and pay $50?

Cheers
Sorry can't help with your location BUT here in WA I use Wheels World in Osborne Park....$90 for BMW Club members.

$330 sounds like BS, no matter which angle you look at it! Then again, I wouldn't let some apprentice spanner monkey at a discount tyre place fiddle with my car for $50.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:
Hi guys

Cheers

I use spinning wheels
http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/E/V/SYDNE/0021/84/22/
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
nvanorten
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m140

I second Spinning Wheel. They are execellent!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Interesting this thread came up. I recently had to mount my new tyres to my stock wheels and get a wheel alignment. I didn't even bother getting a quote from BMW as i knew it would be a blatant ripoff. The 3 places closest to me on such short notice were:

1. Bob Jane - $169
2. Bridgestone - $125
3. JAXQuickfittyres - $129

Keeping in mind these prices include mounting tyres. The wheel alignment itself varied between $40-60.

My first preference was Bridgestone but they were booked out so I went with JAXQuickfit because they could squeeze me in that day (I was desperate, I hadn't driven my car for 3 weeks). Worst service ever and they kept insisting on me to come back in an hour after the work was done. I didn't trust them and they were more than familiar with my car, also the best car going in for work done was an 02 SS Ute.

Anyways, long story short, after the 3 hours they completed the work on my car I see one of the mechanics drive out of the complex with my car and take it for a spirited drive. He comes back after 2 minutes and I find my oil temperature at normal operating temperature, which should take about 10 minutes to get up to. I shouldn't expect anything less but next time I will go to Bridgestone or a similar tyre shop in a better area that are used to servicing more expensive cars next time.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
dk130i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Blue car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvanorten View Post
I second Spinning Wheel. They are execellent!
+ 2

Had alignment done by BMW once before and they stuffed it up and then could not fix despite going back 3 times, they are hopeless.

Guys at Spinning wheel had it fixed in 10 minutes flat and they know what they are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
Tj303
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks heaps guys I will try spinning wheels
      12-30-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Interesting this thread came up. I recently had to mount my new tyres to my stock wheels and get a wheel alignment. I didn't even bother getting a quote from BMW as i knew it would be a blatant ripoff. The 3 places closest to me on such short notice were:

1. Bob Jane - $169
2. Bridgestone - $125

Keeping in mind these prices include mounting tyres. The wheel alignment itself varied between $40-60.

My first preference was Bridgestone but they were booked out so I went with JAXQuickfit because they could squeeze me in that day (I was desperate, I hadn't driven my car for 3 weeks). Worst service ever and they kept insisting on me to come back in an hour after the work was done. I didn't trust them and they were more than familiar with my car, also the best car going in for work done was an 02 SS Ute.

Anyways, long story short, after the 3 hours they completed the work on my car I see one of the mechanics drive out of the complex with my car and take it for a spirited drive. He comes back after 2 minutes and I find my oil temperature at normal operating temperature, which should take about 10 minutes to get up to. I shouldn't expect anything less but next time I will go to Bridgestone or a similar tyre shop in a better area that are used to servicing more expensive cars next time.
Can relate to this. There are so many cowboys out there and you dont know who to trust anymore.

I took my X5 in for its scheduled free wheel alignment at 5000km post tyre change. I could see the car was out of the garage within 15 minutes! No one told me it was ready for another 45 minutes.

How the hell can one balance and do wheel alignment in 15 minutes??? I suspect as it was a ''freebie'' they probbaly just took the wheels off and spun them and put them back on again. This was at Bob Jane.

I got my pzeros for my 135 done at another bob jane. Took 3 hours! There was another 135 before me and they only took 1 hour. I beleive 1 hour is really the max you would need for swappig out the tyres and doing a wheel alignment.

To the OP, the qoute you got seems a bit rich. I was given a free one by BMW and the guy said that it would have normally cost $100.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Hi guys

Cheers
Steering angle sensor adjustment only required after alignment if your car has active steering (not adaptive headlights) fitted. Doubt your 135i has that, so they are talking rubbish. Any tyre place can align your car. These are the values they need:

01-01-2010, 03:26 AM   #10
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Front only had half a degree camber. Oh I remember WAY told me that before. That is why it is like ripping my front tyres off in medium speed corners.
      01-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post

1. Bob Jane - $169
2. Bridgestone - $125

Just a note - Brisbane BMW uses Bridgestone in New Farm for tyre work. It is much cheaper dealing direct with them. . I found out after taking a screw and took it to the dealer at closing on Saturday. They didn't have anyone to take the car there, so they just told me to take the car there myself $20 later, it's all fixed - which I would imagine it would have cost a lot more if I left it at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
Tj303
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hi guys thanks for the extra info... i might question BMW again regarding the steering angle sensor and price for wheel alignment, or ring a different dealership. I don't mind paying $100 for BMW to do it, Spinning Wheels is a little inconvenient for me to get to.