BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-31-2010, 04:27 PM   #45
benjamin84
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: 120d M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelitto View Post
On this picture you can see me drifting before I had the Quaife fitted. You can clearly see that the outer wheel is also spinning (rubber marks behind it) So I was wondering if 135i e-diff somewhat worked then or is is just because there is enough power to spin both wheel anyways? (Or maybe drifting is different than donut burnout's)

As far as I remember before the Quaife I only experienced the e-diff engaging once when I was drifting on ice v. slow about 15km/h but with big angle I could hear from time to time this sort of abs sound from the inner back wheel. I don't think it worked any other time. I have to wait till the snow and ice so I can test the Quaife in same condition i.e. ice and very slow/ big angle drifting

P.S DSC completely off in all of the above
An open diffed car can slide fine if you have a large enough angle It's getting it going from stationary or maintaining smaller drift angles that is more difficult or even impossible in some cases. I'm hoping the Quaife will make it much easier to drive consistently with just a bit of slip during winter
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 01:49 AM   #46
DigIn3D
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 Nissan GTR

siiiiiiiiick!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #47
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Rather newbie question here but does the LSD have any practical safety applications? From the video I don't get what its advantage is; if it makes it easier to drift the car doesn't that mean it makes it more dangerous for an inexperienced driver? Especially wondering after hearing the 10% twitchier in the snow at highway speeds comment...

What about performance? Faster 0-60 or 1/4 times?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #48
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

10% twitchier on the highway doesn't mean much in the snow...

think about being able to leave every stop sign quickly and easily in the snow, think of a car sliding up behind you and you being able to accelerate out of the way safely in the snow.... that scenerio outweights the slightly twitchier highway aspect... besides, how often are the highways really covered in snow?

even if the twitch makes the back step out, it's very controlable compared to a twitch that might happen without an LSD so in the one aspect, it's a little harder, yet safer overall

0-60 and 1-4 mile will be faster with this as the power goes right to where it's supposed to be, both back tires... If you get a JB3 or procede you'll see very very quickly the need for it when you can barely get any traction in first gear. Why waste a gear?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #49
Vasil
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, M5 and 330i

LSD competes the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #50
benjamin84
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: 120d M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Rather newbie question here but does the LSD have any practical safety applications? From the video I don't get what its advantage is; if it makes it easier to drift the car doesn't that mean it makes it more dangerous for an inexperienced driver? Especially wondering after hearing the 10% twitchier in the snow at highway speeds comment...

What about performance? Faster 0-60 or 1/4 times?
I've now had the diff in place for a good few months, driven in snow, rain, sleet on gravel and tarmac, and I still love this bit of kit I haven't noticed any twitchyness to be honest, the car just seems to find more traction in all conditions. In fact if anything it's meant I don't turn the traction control off as often as I used to do as it no longer gets in the way

Have a look at my other thread about the advantages in winter when it comes to actually getting through properly deep snow

Last edited by benjamin84; 11-15-2010 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 04:40 AM   #51
berne
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin84 View Post
Put together a short clip of me testing the Quaife diff It certainly does what it's supposed to, very happy with it so far, and I'm seriously looking forward to winter now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLFupcWTdAs

upplever du mer ljud i kupen efter du bytte till LSD?
Appreciate 0