BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-19-2016, 03:03 PM   #1
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Mystery sound Identified!!

So I've been having a mystery sound in my car for about 6 months. It sounds kinda like an irregular scraping/ metallic wooshing sound, but it is very hard to describe. It is independent of speed or RPM (does not change frequency or amplitude with speed or RPM).
I can only hear it with the windows closed, fan low or off, stereo off, and at lower speeds because road/wind noise and exhaust sounds mask it (it is very soft). It does not manifest itself in any way that is problematic - I just know it shouldn't be there.

So it has been vexing me for a while. I mentioned it at my last servicing but they were unable to duplicate or recognize it. It seems to be getting worse, so I took the car in this AM and drove the service manager around to try to get him to hear and ID the sound. He was eventually able to hear it. We tried trouble-shooting, including shutting the engine off at about 30 MPH. The sound STILL occurred, so it is not in the engine.

The dealership called a few minutes ago and they said it was the transmission (I have a 6MT)and they were going to replace the transmission under CPO warranty!! I asked for specifics, but he was unable to give any until they get the xmsn apart, but suggested it might be a bearing or something.

Anyway, thank the gods for CPO warranty. Anybody know what it would cost to replace the xmsn if I weren't under CPO? Does this problem sound familiar to anybody, or has anybody experienced it before?
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Hmmm... does not sound familiar but I know I will be hearing it today as I drive home because I read this post !!!!!
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

You are indeed a lucky man to have noticed this and are getting it replaced while still under warranty.
      07-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban
You are indeed a lucky man to have noticed this and are getting it replaced while still under warranty.
Indeed. I am anxious to find out the dealer price for a tranny swap. Can't be cheap.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #5
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i
Hmmm... does not sound familiar but I know I will be hearing it today as I drive home because I read this post !!!!!
I know, right? Now you're going to start second-guessing every little sound.

It pays to be familiar with your car, pay attention to it, and know what right looks and sounds like, so when something is not right it stands out.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Congrats!
Glad to see you reaping the benefits of your efforts- many wouldn't have bothered taking the time to get the SA out for a ride along to identify the sound. You've clearly shown the extra effort is a good thing!

Hope they share what the actual problem is!
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:40 PM   #7
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Wow that's scary!!! Good thing I have a warranty as well O.O
      07-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #8
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

I have a noise that some on these boards have attributed to DMFW. I wouldn't call it a scrape or whoosh as does the OP here, rather more of a quiet rumble? Marbles in a coffee can, but very muffled? It really is difficult to describe, and in reading this thread I now wonder if we're talking about the same thing? What I hear is too quiet to record, else I'd post that here (and might make this post useless, but I thought I'd mention it anyway)
      07-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #9
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
I have a noise that some on these boards have attributed to DMFW. I wouldn't call it a scrape or whoosh as does the OP here, rather more of a quiet rumble? Marbles in a coffee can, but very muffled? . It really is difficult to describe, and in reading this thread I now wonder if we're talking about the same thing? What I hear is too quiet to record, else I'd post that here (and might make this post useless, but I thought I'd mention it anyway)
Yes! I feel like the sound I had could also be described as such. I think the "woosh" is a poor descriptor. I went with scraping, but muffled marbles in a can could work too. Maybe more like small rocks/gravel in a muffled coffee can (marbles sound too smooth - there is definitely a scraping element to my sound).
Actually the thing I feel it sounds most like is if you ever had an old car whose freon-based AC system would freeze up if used too much. Then there was a particular sound when it was thawing that is hard to describe.

Anyway, take a ride with a tech and set the conditions so they can hear it, and have them check the transmission (if you are still under warranty - if not, that could get expensive).
My sound was too faint to record also, but your description could describe mine too. I just found it really difficult to even describe.

Last edited by Cavpilot2k; 07-20-2016 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #10
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

I get some kind of noise at city speeds in mainly 4th gear. I don't know how to describe, but "marbles in a can" might be somewhat close... Like something loose is spinning inside. It can be heard when the vehicle is cold, especially; it's been like that for about two years. Had it on the lift last year and found out it is coming from the back of the transmission - where it meets the crankshaft.

Curious what is the exact issue with your car.
      07-21-2016, 06:15 AM   #11
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

You are very lucky! Great catch!

How were u able to shut the engine off at 30mph???
      07-21-2016, 07:28 AM   #12
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther
You are very lucky! Great catch!

How were u able to shut the engine off at 30mph???
Put it in neutral, Press and hold the start button for a few seconds.
Beware! You lose power steering.
Appreciate 0