BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Which Wheel?
Rota Torque 4 14.81%
Rota P45R 5 18.52%
Rota G-Force 18 66.67%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

05-19-2009, 01:40 AM   #23
Motorsports_3
E30 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135, 1988 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWeber View Post
48 on the front is way too high unless your just going to run 225s any larger and you'll rub on the strut. 38-40 is the perfect offset for 8.5s on the front
Hell no. 38-40 would rub like hell on the outer fender if the car is even mildly dropped and on 225s or larger. I would say you need a 43-45 offset up front.
      05-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #24
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsports_3 View Post
Hell no. 38-40 would rub like hell on the outer fender if the car is even mildly dropped and on 225s or larger. I would say you need a 43-45 offset up front.
Hell yes. BMWeber is correct, and knows what he is talking about.

I'm dropped, running 41 offset 9" wide wheels with 245's up front and needed a 5mm spacer to get it away from the strut. A 43-45 offset will cause you to need an even larger spacer.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #25
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

SilverBullet is running a 235/35/19 up front with a 19x8.5 +46offset wheel lowered on eibach springs without rubbing...

Anyone have pics of a 38-41 offset on their car. It seems like the wheels would stick out like a 4x4 with those offsets Even the current CSL in 18x8.5 +40 offset stick out of the fenders like a 4x4....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #26
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
i thought silverbullet rolled his fenders.
      05-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #27
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang View Post
i thought silverbullet rolled his fenders.
Not to my knowledge. I remember him saying specifically that he had no fender mods, but I can't find the post right now...\

Running a higher offset makes the wheel more sunken in, thus allowing wider tires without rolling the fenders... I could not imagine being able to fit a 8.5-9" wheel with a 40 offset in the front with a 245 offset without major rubbing or fender mods..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #28
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmxomar View Post
AND LETS GET SOME WIDE 10.5 WITH 62 OFFSET IN THE BACK
Not trying to be a dick, but their is no possibility of that width working. 9.5" is too wide without fender mods, and berk has had a hell of a time getting a 9.5" to work even with custom offsets... Just curious, why are you and so many people fascinated by wide wheels when they are detrimental towards performance compared to a proper offset 9" wheel?

Post from Berk on 9.5" wide wheels in a 57 offset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
Here is the 275/35/18 fully loaded. This should not rub on the track, may rub on the street in certain situations where the suspension is fully loaded (going up a street driveway or large speedbump).

18x9.5 +57 prototype high offset for 135i. Falken 275/35/18 RT615.

I just barely hits the fender when it's fully loaded. It clears everywhere else, but where the rear bumper meets the rear fender it rubs. It is rubbing on the sidewall of the tire so we're ALMOST clearing it, but not quite. I need to test fit this on a 265 and see if we can clear. I will try to get this all done today. I gotta be on a plane at 2PM so less typing, more work!

Another view.

For reference, here is how WIDE the Falken runs. Sitting in the foreground is a 265/35/18 Hankook RS2. The Falken has got to be at least 20mm wider than the Hankook! Those are both identical wheels (18x9.5), save for the offset. I always knew the tire sizes would deviate a little bit, but this seems like they are using arbitrary numbers! So a 275 brand A, may be wider than a 285 brand B. Something to keep in mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #29
fmxomar
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
Not trying to be a dick, but their is no possibility of that width working. 9.5" is too wide without fender mods, and berk has had a hell of a time getting a 9.5" to work even with custom offsets... Just curious, why are you and so many people fascinated by wide wheels when they are detrimental towards performance compared to a proper offset 9" wheel?

Post from Berk on 9.5" wide wheels in a 57 offset...
NOT trying to be a dick but you DONT know what your talking about. Get your facts straight.

look at evolution racewerks

Wheels: Forgeline Competition ZX3R with titanium fasteners

Rear: 18x10 +62
Spacer: none
Rears: Did not roll the rear quarter panel. No rub on fender.

Tires:
Rear Yokohama Neova AD07 285/30/18

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #30
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
NOT trying to be a dick but you DONT know what your talking about. Get your facts straight.

look at evolution racewerks

Wheels: Forgeline Competition ZX3R with titanium fasteners

Rear: 18x10 +62
Spacer: none
Rears: Did not roll the rear quarter panel. No rub on fender.

Tires:
Rear Yokohama Neova AD07 285/30/18

You are being a dick by leaving out information though... FROM THAT SAME POST YOU TRIED TO PROVE ME WRONG:

"Rears: Did not roll the rear quarter panel. Slight rub on inner plastic liner. No rub on fender. If you roll the fender, it might tuck the plastic liner higher and might not rub at all anymore."

How convenient to leave that last part out

Not exactly a problem free install you tried to claim... higher offset= inner fender hitting, Lower offset= running hard on fenders. It's the fact that the 135i's fenders can not physically fit even a 10" wide wheel without mods to keep rubbing from happening...

Do you want to chew through tires because of the amount of negative camber they have to run to fit even a 10" wheel with mods to keep it from rubbing? So you think you will be able to run a wheel a half inch wider with a streetable alignment compared to ER's race team? Unless you want to replace your tires every couple thousand miles as well as do fender mods, you can't even run a 10" tire yet alone a 10.5" wheel.

your idea of a 10.5" wheel on a stock bodied 135i is a pipe dream... Just give up....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #31
fmxomar
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
You are being a dick by leaving out information though... FROM THAT SAME POST YOU TRIED TO PROVE ME WRONG:

"Rears: Did not roll the rear quarter panel. Slight rub on inner plastic liner. No rub on fender. If you roll the fender, it might tuck the plastic liner higher and might not rub at all anymore."

How convenient to leave that last part out

Not exactly a problem free install you tried to claim... higher offset= inner fender hitting, Lower offset= running hard on fenders. It's the fact that the 135i's fenders can not physically fit even a 10" wide wheel without mods to keep rubbing from happening...

Do you want to chew through tires because of the amount of negative camber they have to run to fit even a 10" wheel with mods to keep it from rubbing? So you think you will be able to run a wheel a half inch wider with a streetable alignment compared to ER's race team? Unless you want to replace your tires every couple thousand miles as well as do fender mods, you can't even run a 10" tire yet alone a 10.5" wheel.

your idea of a 10.5" wheel on a stock bodied 135i is a pipe dream... Just give up....
Once again you are WRONG ! you think you are mr. knowitall but your not.

First of all they are talking about the outer part of the plastic lining smart guy, not "higher offset= inner fender hitting" . "If you roll the fender, it might tuck the plastic liner higher and might not rub at all anymore." So for one their fenders aren't even rolled and we know how much material is left there. Second my fenders are SHAVED from the inside, and i already have cut about 2 inchs out of the liner that would normally sit there. Third i wouldnt be running a 285 tire on it. Not to mention we have mocked up 11 inch widened csl on my car and made measurements coming to the conclusion that a 10.5 inch wheel can be done quite easily. just give up yourself and go get under the car and check yourself and ill gladly shove it in your face when i get cash for new wheels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 11:53 PM   #32
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Just go ahead and blow a huge amount of cash to get 10.5's to fit. If that's what you want, knock yourself out.

Then you can be the big swinging dick knowing you got the widest rims on the board.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 12:02 AM   #33
fmxomar
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Just go ahead and blow a huge amount of cash to get 10.5's to fit. If that's what you want, knock yourself out.

Then you can be the big swinging dick knowing you got the widest rims on the board.
please tell me where this huge amount of cash is coming into play... all i need to spend is money on wheels and tires like everyone else. i didnt saying anything about trying to have the widest wheels on the board. what makes you want to jump in with your useless post anyways. im not looking for you or anyone else's approval, all i did was suggest that they make a wide set up, and that they will fit because i have experimented with it unlike talking out of my a** like you two who have obviously not experiment with ANY setup other then the stock wheels your both running.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 12:36 AM   #34
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Once again you are WRONG ! you think you are mr. knowitall but your not.

First of all they are talking about the outer part of the plastic lining smart guy, not "higher offset= inner fender hitting" . "If you roll the fender, it might tuck the plastic liner higher and might not rub at all anymore." So for one their fenders aren't even rolled and we know how much material is left there. Second my fenders are SHAVED from the inside, and i already have cut about 2 inchs out of the liner that would normally sit there. Third i wouldnt be running a 285 tire on it. Not to mention we have mocked up 11 inch widened csl on my car and made measurements coming to the conclusion that a 10.5 inch wheel can be done quite easily. just give up yourself and go get under the car and check yourself and ill gladly shove it in your face when i get cash for new wheels.
Irrelevant, but I will address your opaque arguments anyways...

Your argument is that you would add the weight of a 10.5" or 11" wheel while putting skinny tires that don't look right in the first place? That is stupid if you are concerned with performance or looks, so what are you going for?

Are you very informed on suspension dynamics, or understand the tire wear that is a result of running a great deal of negative camber?

Fit a 10.5" or 11" inch wheel in the back with no mods and I will apologize... Until then, piss off Nobody is going to create a wheel with that width from the factory when it required fender mods to fit, so why suggest a poor choice that does not benefit the performance in any way? It is a stupid idea to put wide wheels with skinny tires for a big dick competition on retarded wide wheels...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 01:05 AM   #35
fmxomar
Major
Rep

so since when is a 275 or 265 tire labeled as "skinny"
and who said anything about running a great deal of negative camber. get out of here man you think i dont know that negative camber increases tire wear LOL. my car is stock bodied and it will fit 10.5's ..so my point once again.. your wrong
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 04:16 AM   #36
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so since when is a 275 or 265 tire labeled as "skinny"
and who said anything about running a great deal of negative camber. get out of here man you think i dont know that negative camber increases tire wear LOL. my car is stock bodied and it will fit 10.5's ..so my point once again.. your wrong
265 and 275 on a 10.5" rim is very skinny... My next setup is running a 265 on a 9" wheel. You just said that you had to mod your fenders to put a 10 or 10.5" wheel on the back. ER was able to get a 10" wheel with some rubbing... You sre saying that a 10.5" wheel in the back in the same offsets as ER? That's 6mm less clearance on both sides of the wheel. No way that you can put tires that aren't stretched as shit on wont perform like a correct width wheel with the same tire...

On the discussion on negative camber, ER along with other race teams run a lot of negative camber to add more clearance to the wheel wells as well as added traction...

Therefore a race alignment will have the tires clear the fender easier than a street alignment would allow... This will allow for even less fender clearance than the 10" wheel that ER has on their car with the same offset as you cant chew through tires like they are able to.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #37
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Well let's see some pics and some proof. The numbers say that - first, the appropriate tire for a 10.5" rim is a 275. You could go narrower, but it would look stretched. Second, what exactly will that offset be, because there is only so much room inboard. I'd like to see a wider rim fit a stock body because I like the look of a wide rear wheel, but unless you go completely custom, who makes such a wheel with a 52 or higher offset?

Yes, the more you increase camber in any direction, the faster the tires will wear out. For me, a high negative camber is either a temp set up for racing or all show and no go for daily driving, cause I'm not made of tires.
      05-24-2009, 06:21 AM   #38
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Advan rs reps! I am in!!!!
      05-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #39
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I don't know how much clearance we have on the inside (I hear an inch plus) but a 10.5 et 62 setup according to the E90 wheel calculator would stick out 4mm LESS towards the outer fender than what I'm running. I didn't rub on the stock suspension. I got a very good fender roll and I dont rub now after lowering around 20mm, no cambering other than what comes from the lower. So the 10.5 setup should work IMO as long as it clears the inner strut. It might need a slight roll depending on how much lowered or tire choice.

However, to get the most orders, a custom designed wheel manufacturer should go with 8.5 fronts and 9.5 rears IMO. That should allow 255 to 265 rears which is what a lot of people want. With my et45 wheels I think I'll probably just stick with 245s since I know it works.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #40
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
please tell me where this huge amount of cash is coming into play... all i need to spend is money on wheels and tires like everyone else. i didnt saying anything about trying to have the widest wheels on the board. what makes you want to jump in with your useless post anyways. im not looking for you or anyone else's approval, all i did was suggest that they make a wide set up, and that they will fit because i have experimented with it unlike talking out of my a** like you two who have obviously not experiment with ANY setup other then the stock wheels your both running.
Actually, I haven't started talking out of my ass just yet. But you are right, I'm a lesser mortal cause I still drive with *gasp* my stock wheels on.

I'm just pointing out that you act like an ass anytime this discussion comes up.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #41
fmxomar
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I don't know how much clearance we have on the inside (I hear an inch plus) but a 10.5 et 62 setup according to the E90 wheel calculator would stick out 4mm LESS towards the outer fender than what I'm running. I didn't rub on the stock suspension. I got a very good fender roll and I dont rub now after lowering around 20mm, no cambering other than what comes from the lower. So the 10.5 setup should work IMO as long as it clears the inner strut. It might need a slight roll depending on how much lowered or tire choice.

However, to get the most orders, a custom designed wheel manufacturer should go with 8.5 fronts and 9.5 rears IMO. That should allow 255 to 265 rears which is what a lot of people want. With my et45 wheels I think I'll probably just stick with 245s since I know it works.

first off im not going to need to add any neg camber okay buddy i have enough as is. do you think that because your name says "racer" in it that no one else knows what camber is and what it does? i already have it figured out.. no need for any more of your info because its not correct. 275 on a 10.5 inch rim is not "very skinny" i have 255's on a 9.5 and there is just a slight stretch that looks perfect.

and to eyeman
finally someone else that knows a thing or two about what will fit unlike mr. boy racer
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #42
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
first off im not going to need to add any neg camber okay buddy i have enough as is. do you think that because your name says "racer" in it that no one else knows what camber is and what it does? i already have it figured out.. no need for any more of your info because its not correct. 275 on a 10.5 inch rim is not "very skinny" i have 255's on a 9.5 and there is just a slight stretch that looks perfect.

and to eyeman
finally someone else that knows a thing or two about what will fit unlike mr. boy racer

You said that you mocked up a 10.5" and 11" wheel... Where are the pics? If you had... Surely you would have pictures... You would have 30mm less clearance compared to eyemans setup with your 62 offset 10.5" wheel, which comes out to 1.18 inches. You add in the extra tire width, and theirs no way in hell you can fit that seup without significant fender mods.

For all that work, you can a run the same tire as a 9" +50 to +54 offset wheel that will be lighter and perform better. So I am going to ask once again, what are you going for? performance? Looks? Running a stupidly wide wheel just adds unsprung weight, and makes you stretch tires. So it will look like crap and perform the same way it looks.

And yes, a 275 tire on a 10.5" wheel is skinny and a waste. At a minimum you would need a 285-295 tire on a 10.5" to look decent. a 275 tire is stretched as shit, not to mention it would simply add undprung weight to the car....

Here's SilverBullets car with a correct offset 8.5" +46 offset front and 9" +50 offset rear with 235/265 setup tires... You might be able to fit a 275 tire on this width or go to a 9.5" wheel. His setup has a very slight stretch with a 265 on the rear with a 9" wheel... Add around 38-39mm to the width of the wheel and only 10mm to the tires like you want to run and it will look like shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet135i View Post

If you want a shitty performing 10.5" wheel with stupid looking stretched tires, when be my guest... I'm done arguing with a person that has no idea wheat the hell he is talking about and wants to put a set of ricer spec'd wheels on his car
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #43
fmxomar
Major
Rep

you sir are retarded... heres 11's with way less than a 62 offset

my "shitty performing" 10.5 wheels will be a whole lot better than your STOCK setup
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #44
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
you sir are retarded... heres 11's with way less than a 62 offset

my "shitty performing" 10.5 wheels will be a whole lot better than your STOCK setup
OH NO, A STOCK SETUP!!
Appreciate 0