BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

People who have gotten their 135i's

Could you please tell me how you like the interior room and comfort after owning now. Also tell me if you purchased the sport seats and how tall you are. I have looked at the 135i automatic several times and wonder how the room with a clutch is? It seems so small in the footwell area for an added clutch.

Also how is the clutch? I am driving an 07 Civic Si and love the clutch, how will the 135i clutch/shifter compare?

I am worried that if I can never drive a 135i with a manual b4 ordering, I might not like the clutch.

Is the clutch long? Is it stiff? How do you like it compared to your other cars with a clutch? What car are you comparing to the 135i manual?

The 135i interior just seems so cramped compared to my little Civic Si. Not bashing, just need opinions to make me feel better about the 135i space around the feet. Also when I adjust the sport seats for an imaginary clutch the steering wheel feels like its in my lap. I am 6'1" 190# and am not sure about the comfort and size.

Thankyou for opinions and input. Jeff
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Room in the footwell area seems fine to me. From my past cars, I would say that I have not noticed any difference while driving (Various Mustangs, Camaro, Mazdaspeed 6). The clutch for this car is really nice, it has a good feel to it (which the speed 6 didn't). I think I could build muscle from the clutch in my 04 cobra .. lol .. this one is easy to push in but has a good feel.

I have not had any issues with interior space at all. I'm not quite as tall as you, but I don't think you will have any issues either. I should note that I have small children and my wife, them, and myself have been in the car plenty of times and I have not had any issues with space. I can not compare to the Civic as I have not been inside one.

Hopefully someone closer to your size can chime in as well ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Room in the footwell area seems fine to me. From my past cars, I would say that I have not noticed any difference while driving (Various Mustangs, Camaro, Mazdaspeed 6). The clutch for this car is really nice, it has a good feel to it (which the speed 6 didn't). I think I could build muscle from the clutch in my 04 cobra .. lol .. this one is easy to push in but has a good feel.

I have not had any issues with interior space at all. I'm not quite as tall as you, but I don't think you will have any issues either. I should note that I have small children and my wife, them, and myself have been in the car plenty of times and I have not had any issues with space. I can not compare to the Civic as I have not been inside one.

Hopefully someone closer to your size can chime in as well ..

Crowley
Thankyou very much, so the clutch is alright:w00t:
After time I hope I get more comments and opinions.:w00t:
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
kerph32
Rep
Drives:

I haven't driven a 135i 6-speed yet, but they dealer had a 335i 6-speed that was available, so I took that for a spin to get a feel - the clutch is very light and engagement is a bit more vague than on my E36, but nothing that I wouldn't get used to. My E36 clutch was new last August, so it's a good comparison, and I liked the 335i. Much easier on the left leg while in traffic, and the shifter was buttery going into gear, unlike the notchiness that accompanies my E36 shifts (partly a product of the short-shift kit).

I look forward to somebody in Atlanta getting a 135i 6-speed in so I can make sure that the footwell is big enough... I am 6'7"
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Interior room is "cozy" and intimate. It's very comfortable and you will get used to it. The footwell is indeed a bit tighter than some other cars, but the clutch isn't a problem with space. If anything, I'd like a tad more space between the gas pedal and brake pedal. When driving with size 10-1/2 athletic shoes, it's a wee bit tight between the gas and brake pedals, but not the clutch pedal. I'm a similar size as you... 6'1", but my weight is 215. The seat and steering wheel all adjust with plenty of latitude and flexibility. You'll be fine. There is a tendency for the wheel to block a portion of the view of the gauges, however.

The clutch effort is light compared to most cars, and the distance is average... So it's a very easy car to shift. My Porsche has a much stiffer clutch, for example.

The 135i is FUN to drive with a manual... I strongly urge you to get the stick... I am certain you will not regret it, and you will enjoy it.

Hope all that helps!!
      05-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Do yourself a favor and locate a 6spd manual car to test drive. Try to get a nice prolonged drive so you can take it out on various road conditions. Don't be afraid after the test drive to look at the car from different perspectives, set the seats as you want, sit in the back, climb in and out of front and back, bring something you normally or occasionally carry w/you and see if it fits in the trunk, bring your iPod and 1-2 of your favorite CDs and play with the radio etc...

I know from your previous posts you want to make absolutely, positively sure you'll want that 135i - imho there's no better way to make sure besides test driving a physical one.

I've been on 5 so far
      05-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
scs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

the "one" is much more comfortable then the civic, (i traded an '07 civic coupe) these cars have a lot more room inside then meets the eye. i'm 6'5" and the car fits great. easy in and out, great clutch, and just a great car.
      05-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #8
Trapperj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Love the 6MT

The clutch seems better everyday. Was great on the test drive with salesman, wife and daughter in car. I am 6'1" @ 215#. The car is more fun solo. Sport seats are great once you get it set to fit you. Shoes do make a difference. The thinner the sole, the better. That goes with just about all M/T cars.
I tried my helmet and there was plenty of room, as long as the seat is down. Dont think I will do a driving school with this car for awhile . Its too new . I do think it would be a fun track car. I had a 996 Porsche before the 1 and I think the 1 is a better shifting car. The clutch take-up is much better. The 911 was a bit like a switch...on...or off. If I was ez with the 911 I would stall it often. We have 1200 miles and have never stalled the 1 ...yet. I thought long about the auto , it is a fine automatic. The 1 just screams tor the 6MT IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Honda gearboxes are some of the best in the world. I know this from 50K miles plus with two S2000's and from many mag articles.

Now to your question.

One of the very reasons I didn't buy a 335i when they first came out was I HATED the clutch and disliked the feel of the throws/shifter in that car.

I have now ordered and am awaiting a 135i manual. Even after a brief and tame test drive (it was a customers car that I had permission to drive) I felt the manual transmission issues that I disliked so much in the 335i were not apparent in the 135i.

Is the transmission in the 135i as good as the S2000, nope, but it's pretty darn good, good enough that I ordered one as I stated.

On the question of room, well like others have said, thats really a personal body fit that imo only you can answer.

I hope this helped a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tskeen View Post
The clutch seems better everyday. Was great on the test drive with salesman, wife and daughter in car. I am 6'1" @ 215#. The car is more fun solo. Sport seats are great once you get it set to fit you. Shoes do make a difference. The thinner the sole, the better. That goes with just about all M/T cars.
I tried my helmet and there was plenty of room, as long as the seat is down. Dont think I will do a driving school with this car for awhile . Its too new . I do think it would be a fun track car. I had a 996 Porsche before the 1 and I think the 1 is a better shifting car. The clutch take-up is much better. The 911 was a bit like a switch...on...or off. If I was ez with the 911 I would stall it often. We have 1200 miles and have never stalled the 1 ...yet. I thought long about the auto , it is a fine automatic. The 1 just screams tor the 6MT IMO.
You are correct about the 911. The 911's clutch is a bit abrupt, and can be tricky in first gear. After that, it's perfect.

135i is indeed an easy shifter in every gear... silky smooth... easy pedal pressure... easy to engage... even has brake-assist to prevent backwards roll for a few seconds, which I think is a very nice touch!
      05-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135i View Post
Honda gearboxes are some of the best in the world. I know this from 50K miles plus with two S2000's and from many mag articles.

Now to your question.

One of the very reasons I didn't buy a 335i when they first came out was I HATED the clutch and disliked the feel of the throws/shifter in that car.

I have now ordered and am awaiting a 135i manual. Even after a brief and tame test drive (it was a customers car that I had permission to drive) I felt the manual transmission issues that I disliked so much in the 335i were not apparent in the 135i.

Is the transmission in the 135i as good as the S2000, nope, but it's pretty darn good, good enough that I ordered one as I stated.

On the question of room, well like others have said, thats really a personal body fit that imo only you can answer.

I hope this helped a bit.
You are absolutely correct about the S2000's shifter. It is the best I have ever driven. The shifter on a Mazda RX-8 is pretty nice as well, but still not nearly as good as the S2000.

I've only driven an automatic 135, but have driven a 6spd 335 coupe. The throws were much longer than the 5spd in my WRX with the short throw linkage. Glad to here that you feel the 135's shifter is improved over the 335.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 02:54 PM   #12
roldan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Does the 128 have the same transmission, clutch, and shifter as the 135? I test drove a 128 with a manual but there was only a 135 with automatic available.. I figured the shift action would feel similar.

Coming from a worn-out old E30 shifter and clutch, I have to say the 128's felt great.
Appreciate 0