BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
jack2233
Rep
Drives:

DTC

I've had my 135 for about three weeks now. Love it. After experimenting a bit with "spirited driving", I have noticed that the DTC seems to zap more power than I originally thought. It gives the car a less powerful feel even when I didn't think it would be engaged. Only when I turned both DSC and DTC both off did I realize that the DTC interferes before you can notice it (i.e. before any detectable wheel slippage). Taking both off makes this car have a very different feel.

This may seem obvious but I really didn't think that the DTC would have as much of an "all around" power-sucking effect as I think it does.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

I always turn off driving aids no matter what car I drive. It can get dangereous to leave them on sometimes(on snow or rain).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

It is dangerous to leave them on??? It is never dangerous to leave DTC and traction control on. The system is there to prevent the car from getting out of control. The only time it is beneficial in normal driving to have the system completely turned off is when you are starting in snow. You need some wheel slip in that situation but that is about the only time.

Driving without the aids is fine but it isn't safer. Fun, yes. Safer? No. The computer is faster than you ever will be.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by whya1? View Post
It is dangerous to leave them on??? It is never dangerous to leave DTC and traction control on. The system is there to prevent the car from getting out of control. The only time it is beneficial in normal driving to have the system completely turned off is when you are starting in snow. You need some wheel slip in that situation but that is about the only time.

Driving without the aids is fine but it isn't safer. Fun, yes. Safer? No. The computer is faster than you ever will be.
You said what I wanted to say... Snow...One wheel drive+snowbanks=disaster. Maybe I exagerated a bit but ...I dont like to drive with the (brakes)on lets say youre skidding might be better to drift around an obstacle rather than hitting it because the car has no more power. Most of the time to regain traction you need power. An other fact is that people tend to drive worst because of that false sense of security(I can drive stupid because the nannies will get me out of trouble)(Ditto for SUV's,4X4's)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

just be safe if you're turning the dtc off. i always read on forums about guys that turn it off and don't realize how suddenly a powerful car can bite em in the ass (and i'm sure there are lots more that are too embarrased to post). i know everyone thinks they're the greatest driver in the world (best lover too) but just keep in mind its a different animal with dtc off.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
AwesomeBMW
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
just be safe if you're turning the dtc off. i always read on forums about guys that turn it off and don't realize how suddenly a powerful car can bite em in the ass (and i'm sure there are lots more that are too embarrased to post). i know everyone thinks they're the greatest driver in the world (best lover too) but just keep in mind its a different animal with dtc off.
Soooo true (of course I never had that experience)
      05-07-2008, 02:42 AM   #7
Bartleby
Rep
Drives:

does anybody know if turning off dtc and dsc would improve our 0 to 60 times or quarter mile times? anybody try it?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 02:52 AM   #8
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

^pretty sure turning off dsc will help. not sure if just dtc is better than nothing at all though.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 02:59 AM   #9
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

dtc is a subfunction of dsc so dtc can be switched off while other dsc functions are still on not vice versa. at least that is the way my 120i works. turning off dtc is enough to give you some wheelspin so i am not sure why you would want to turn other dsc functions off as well such as 'brake drying" and "hill start".
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 07:07 AM   #10
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Try what they showed us at the PCD. Turn off DTC completely. Find wet curve, stomp on gas, car will do at least 3 revolutions.

Turn on DTC, same curve, stomp on gas, can't break car loose.

Safer w/o DTC....come'on
Appreciate 0