BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #23
imported_volsfan0911
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

GF was buying a TSX a few years ago - they wanted to offer 6.0% APR to her, she said NavyFed was giving her 3.9%, beat that, and they just shook their heads and said "we can't". But I'd be very happy with the MX-5. Fun car, enjoy and drive the snot out of her! I know Navy Fed is currently 5% on 60 months, 3.5% on 36 months so if you're eligible (and a lot of folks are) it's a hell of a good deal..............10.7% APR isn't financing - that's rape!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #24
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Shame about the 1. But, the Miata/MX5 is practically an icon. You deserve to enjoy it!... and I hope you do.
      05-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #25
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Congrats on the new ride. The MX5 is in a class by itself...except for maybe the S2000, but very nice ride anyway. You will enjoy it. The only reason I wouldn't get one is there is no back seat and I have two kids!

Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 02:08 AM   #26
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Good luck on your new journey. I have driven a MX-5 from Hertz before and it's a fun car, but the lacking power. Otherwise, I'd be in one or an s2k in a heartbeat. The car is a looker as well, possessing the classical roadster lines.
      05-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #27
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Umm you do know you don't need to go with a manufacturer's loan right? Could have tried capitalone.com, rate is 5.29% I think.

Either way the MX-5 is a very fun car, make sure to hit up some twisty roads. Handling is what Mazda does best, they haven't figured out power yet
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #28
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenington86 View Post
I got a good deal but I have USAA....USAA is freakin awsome not the best everytime but come close...i got my fixed rate at 5.39% the lowest they offer anyone as of right now... I like the car I was considering buying one at one time as well

I'm a USAA fanboy too, but I got my loan through PenFed at 4.25%. USAA ties their rates to a different index which doesn't help us at all.

Nice looking car OP. Sorry to see you go but congrats!
      05-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #29
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Go check out www.miata.net.

Every possible question you have about the car is answered there and the people are great.

For mods check out www.good-win-racing.com. A full i/h/e can give you 20+hp on that motor, it really breathes well when uncorked. And the best part is that you don't pay BMW prices anymore for mods! The whole package will run about $1500 which is less than some BMW catbacks.

First thing is to get either sways/springs to lower the car ($500) and flatten it out. Or coilovers. I went with JIC Magic and they are awesome but expensive.

With these two mods your car will be incredibly fast thru turns and you will be amazed at the speed you can carry. Not as fast as the BMW but it FEELS faster since it is open, low and nimble.

Welcome to the joys of low weight over high horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #30
1stBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Good choice with the Miata. I owned a 2002 Miata (had to sell it when I moved to Europe). Best car I ever had. Fun and dependable. I'd probably be back buying one right now except the lure of 300 hp and the offer of a back seat (well, something resembling a back seat) made me order the 135i vert.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #31
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Noel, love the MX-5. Those wheels rock and that color is great. Enjoy it - I loved mine...

Come back a visit, esp. if you consider a 1er for your next car...
      05-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #32
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stBimmer View Post
Good choice with the Miata. I owned a 2002 Miata (had to sell it when I moved to Europe). Best car I ever had. Fun and dependable. I'd probably be back buying one right now except the lure of 300 hp and the offer of a back seat (well, something resembling a back seat) made me order the 135i vert.
I would thoroughly test drive that car before buying. I had a 2001 miata and sold it like a fool. Bought a 335 coupe and hated it. Drove a 128 and 135 convertible but they just dont' feel the same as a miata.

With the miata you really want to throw the car through turns and you can feel ever little bump and the rotation of the car. The 135 convertible is faster in a straight line but it is about 1000lbs heavier than the new Miata and you feel that. A lot.

I don't need a highway cruiser and am debating between 135 convertible and a newer Miata. I really miss throwing the car around and non-LSD and heavier 135 just isn't as confidence inspiring or as fun (though it is better in nearly every other way except price)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #33
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Yes indeed the Miata is an incredible bargain, light, tossble, and very much momentum machines. You feel dam near everything in that car. Absolutely outstanding and for those who haven't driven one, you should.

But given all that I just sold an NB Miata and purchased a 135 because I want a GT, partly beacuse of where I'm driving and who's riding with me (She Who Must Be Obeyed with her bad back). But I have evil designs on supplementing the 135i with a Caterham/Westfield in a couple of years, about the time I retire. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #34
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelSmart View Post
Oh yeah, would you say I need to do the weeds in my yard? haha.
Mr. T says, "Do the weeds in the yard already sucker~"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Motor Co.
Dear Joe, unfortunately, our service technicians were unable to reproduce the problem that you mentioned. Therefore, we will be unable to perform any work that you claim is necessary. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #35
imported_saturn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelSmart View Post
Thanks for the link. Yeah I do plan on getting into autocross with this car. I would have with the 128i as well.

As far as getting a better rate from a bank: I couldn't resist 4.8% and $1500 off MSRP on a car that I could have NOW instead of waiting 3 months for one to be built especially after that slap in the face from BMW.

I loved my 97 328is though, so I'm sure I'll get another BMW at some point, probably as soon as the need for back seats arises. Again, great forum community, see you all in the future!
If you're happy with your car that's all that matters. But not buying a car because the bank that BMW decided to partner with for loans didn't give you a good rate is crazy. The reason those rates are so high is because so many people out there don't even realize you can get a loan from somewhere else.

Anyways, have fun with your car. And everyone else let this be a lesson -- get a loan from somewhere else before you even walk in the dealership doors.
Appreciate 0