BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #67
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Awesome.. Really enjoyed taking the 1M on the track.

Actually, I found it easier to take the 1M around EC, than the E92 M3, I drove at the track day four weeks earlier.. Just had more torque coming out of the twisties, and a lot more balanced IMO.

The car has that much torque, that I never took it out of 3rd gear, except on the straight went to 4th.

No heating or braking issues whats so ever..
Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it Zuzu.

1M really comes alive on the track and turns from Clarke Kent to Superman! Definitely agree on the torque, I'm mostly in 3rd for Hidden Valley as well.

One of the most interesting things is the braking, I'm amazed at how well it holds up to the punishment. It's always funny seeing the service indicator coming down though!

My only complaint is steering 'feel' which is quite numb. But I think I get spoilt on that front!

In regards to cooling, what was the ambient temp and how many consequetive laps did you get in?
      05-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #68
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Quote:
IMO and a couple of the other " mature and experienced " drivers, that is how it came across..

I never said you endangered anyone else, but at your level of experience (and this is only my opinion, to put it in your words, " a 20yo in a hp car), you should have concentrated more on technique and less on your overtaking skills..

So don't get all upset, life is all about learning and taking constructive advice.. from us old guys..... Whether you want to take it in or ignore, is totally up to you.

I learnt a hell of lot more about my 1M on the day at EC and will continue to, the more I drive it and I am 52yr old, and have been around high performance cars since I was 16yrs old..

If you want we can meet up and talk.. I have no animosity towards you mate, like I said, its just my opinion..

Ahh ok glad that is cleared up.

I apologise to you and any other "mature and experienced" drivers on the day if I came across as irresponsible.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #69
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it Zuzu.

1M really comes alive on the track and turns from Clarke Kent to Superman! Definitely agree on the torque, I'm mostly in 3rd for Hidden Valley as well.

One of the most interesting things is the braking, I'm amazed at how well it holds up to the punishment. It's always funny seeing the service indicator coming down though!
My only complaint is steering 'feel' which is quite numb. But I think I get spoilt on that front!

In regards to cooling, what was the ambient temp and how many consequetive laps did you get in?
Started @ 22 degC and ended up around 28 deg around the last session at 12.30pm, if I remember correctly.. So really wasn't a big test on temps..

I think we where doing 8 to 9 laps per session. Roughly 2mins a lap or over..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #70
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
Ahh ok glad that is cleared up.

I apologise to you and any other "mature and experienced" drivers on the day if I came across as irresponsible.
All good mate.. No apology needed..

Just sitting here in the sun on my rocking chair, enjoying my coffee and cake, whilst warming the old arthritic joints up...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #71
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Started @ 22 degC and ended up around 28 deg around the last session at 12.30pm, if I remember correctly.. So really wasn't a big test on temps..

I think we where doing 8 to 9 laps per session. Roughly 2mins a lap or over..
Sounds like lovely temps! Car would have felt amazing - I am still shocked at how much better it feels at cooler temps.

Looking forward to running in the dry season up here as we should be on about 30C or so.

8 or 9 back to back is pretty good. Not sure of lap times at EC so 2 mins means nothing to me!

What temps did the car hit?
      05-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #72
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Gazz, surprised you raced a biker on the gold coast and survived!
Nah, no big deal. Look, it's all a big misunderstanding; Hells Angels ( no apostrophe ), Bandidos, Nomads, Finks etc etc are just normal everyday blokes who want to ride bikes. All this shooting nonsense has been way over played in the media. Riddling one's house as you drive by is their way of saying " was in the neighbourhood and just thought I'd say g'day". The shooting at Robina, just cry for attention; these blokes do toy runs for the kiddies and nobody thanks them.

Next time you see a Commanchero just go up and give him a big hug, I wouldn't be surprised if you see a little tear trickle from his eye in silent gratitude.

And speaking of age, most of these blokes are grampas.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #73
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like lovely temps! Car would have felt amazing - I am still shocked at how much better it feels at cooler temps.

Looking forward to running in the dry season up here as we should be on about 30C or so.

8 or 9 back to back is pretty good. Not sure of lap times at EC so 2 mins means nothing to me!

What temps did the car hit?
yeh.. The earlier morning sessions where the best for the twins..

Car went up to 125 whilst on the track (No biggie, mainly cause I never got out of 3rd..) then back to around 115 once cooling down in the pits garage..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #74
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
yeh.. The earlier morning sessions where the best for the twins..

Car went up to 125 whilst on the track (No biggie, mainly cause I never got out of 3rd..) then back to around 115 once cooling down in the pits garage..
I do like them being referred to ask the twins!

125 is pretty good mate. Mine ebbs up a fair bit higher...

Lucky cooler weather bastards! Then again we do have publicly owned track, hireable for $100! Only thing the NT Govt ever did for me!
      05-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #75
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I do like them being referred to ask the twins!

125 is pretty good mate. Mine ebbs up a fair bit higher...

Lucky cooler weather bastards! Then again we do have publicly owned track, hireable for $100! Only thing the NT Govt ever did for me!
Actually... was at Advan Performance yesterday morning discussing your temps over there in SA, and Justin and I had a look at my car in reference to the additional oil cooler for placement on your car...

Doesn't look like it can be mounted in place as per the 135i placement..

Justin will probably contact you and discuss an alternative..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #76
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
What was the procedure for overtaking at EC on the day anyway? At most track days it's on the straight only but here it seemed to be anywhere you could get past.

I've been to track events with SBC before and lap time wise he's always been right up there so he must be doing something right (and that was in his 2litre 4banger e90), he also snagged a podium finish at our e90post gokart day last year too.
Overtaking was allowed only on the straight, unless waved through with caution.. Not many stuck to that rule thou..

Mate, his lap times where up there aswel at EC.... But that really wasnt my point thou...
My recollection from the driver briefing by john Boston was you can overtake anywhere (no mention of straight) as long as it is safe. The main point he made IMO (which was the same one he made at Wakefield when I went) was if you see someone behind you don't be a prick and let them through by pointing to the side (out the window) you want them to overtake on.

I saw a lot of folk with their windows up, that slowed and pulled to one side.

As far as I saw there were no unsafe or risky overtakes!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #77
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Actually... was at Advan Performance yesterday morning discussing your temps over there in SA, and Justin and I had a look at my car in reference to the additional oil cooler for placement on your car...

Doesn't look like it can be mounted in place as per the 135i placement..

Justin will probably contact you and discuss an alternative..

Zuzu, thank you so much for that mate. I wanted to ask you, but didn't want to request something you wouldn't be comfortable with. I really appreciate it.

Shame about the fitment issue, but I suppose it's better to know prior.

Would be interesting to see the alternatives. I can imagine upgrading the current coolers with something more efficient would go a long way, since the positioning is pretty much perfect.
      05-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #78
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

The tracks I drive on state that the driver's window is to be open and for passing, not in corners, you must point out the window to the side to pass on. I hate it when you come up to mates in a convoy. The one in front can't see you and the rest are just following the leader. You flash furiously but they just get confused as to what to do as there is no space between them, or the last guy finally points just as a corner is approaching. Grrrrrrr.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #79
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Zuzu, thank you so much for that mate. I wanted to ask you, but didn't want to request something you wouldn't be comfortable with. I really appreciate it.

Shame about the fitment issue, but I suppose it's better to know prior.

Would be interesting to see the alternatives. I can imagine upgrading the current coolers with something more efficient would go a long way, since the positioning is pretty much perfect.
All good.. No biggie..

The section behind the front bumper of the M, is much more confined than the 135..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #80
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
All good.. No biggie..

The section behind the front bumper of the M, is much more confined than the 135..
Thanks - it means a lot.

Stupid 1M front bumper! We'll see what they can come up with, hopefully there is some solution or 1M track days might have to take a back seat...
      05-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #81
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
The tracks I drive on state that the driver's window is to be open and for passing, not in corners, you must point out the window to the side to pass on. I hate it when you come up to mates in a convoy. The one in front can't see you and the rest are just following the leader. You flash furiously but they just get confused as to what to do as there is no space between them, or the last guy finally points just as a corner is approaching. Grrrrrrr.
Race in a category that is door handle to door handle.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #82
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
My recollection from the driver briefing by john Boston was you can overtake anywhere (no mention of straight) as long as it is safe.
You are correct....
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #83
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #84
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
But I like my door handles.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #85
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz
Had a drag race from the lights today against a guy on a tricked Harley. He had one of those death's head masks on, all in black ( of course ), ape hangers and shotgun exhaust. I smoked him up to 140 on my speedo and then backed off. When he caught up he gave a nod. I felt good about that.

How old does this make me?
Its not so much the age it makes you... More than anytging it officially identifies you as "suicidal".

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 03:09 AM   #86
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Suicide is painless, it brings on many changes and I can take or leave it if I please, La da de dah.

Though suicide by bikie may not be so painless.

Perhaps you're right, maybe I should leave them to their own nefarious devices.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #87
Bruno28
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i F20 M-Sport

I'm 21
And waiting anxiously to get full license so I can get the 135i.
For now my 130i until it gets sold.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #88
joshuaa187
Private
Rep
Drives: car

20 in a couple of months.
Appreciate 0