BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #67
wildcat767676
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

That seems like a really good idea! Anyone have experience with this that wants to share?

2008 135i AT, iDriveNAV, Remus quad exhaust, A.P. DP/MP/IC, Custom Oil Cooler, BMS JB4/Meth/DCI, JIC Cross Coilovers/Camber Plates/STB, BMWP rotors, EBC Track pads, Motul Fluid, CF Hood, BMWP Kidneys, black painted roof/mirrors, BMWP CF rear spoiler, Roof Spoiler. VMR V710 18" Wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #68
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Been running the approved Mobil 1 0W-40 since I started at the track. No other cooling mods. Manual trans.

Based on responses I've read, I still was expecting my car to explode and burn down neighboring cities... instead, max oil temp = 260-270 on ~90 degree track days. I dunno.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #69
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeryan View Post
Been running the approved Mobil 1 0W-40 since I started at the track. No other cooling mods. Manual trans.

Based on responses I've read, I still was expecting my car to explode and burn down neighboring cities... instead, max oil temp = 260-270 on ~90 degree track days. I dunno.

Same thing here. Mobil 1 0W-40 and distilled water and Water Wetter in the radiator, no limp modes since these 2 mods.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #70
wildcat767676
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Do you track your water temps on track? Did you see a real difference in numbers with water wetter?

2008 135i AT, iDriveNAV, Remus quad exhaust, A.P. DP/MP/IC, Custom Oil Cooler, BMS JB4/Meth/DCI, JIC Cross Coilovers/Camber Plates/STB, BMWP rotors, EBC Track pads, Motul Fluid, CF Hood, BMWP Kidneys, black painted roof/mirrors, BMWP CF rear spoiler, Roof Spoiler. VMR V710 18" Wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #71
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat767676 View Post
Do you track your water temps on track? Did you see a real difference in numbers with water wetter?
I always wanted to, but I always forget how to access the hidden menu to see the water temp. Water wetter is no special ingredient. Water cools down faster than antifreeze and water wetter is there only to provide enough lubrication.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #72
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
I have a water temp gauge, but I don't know how I could do a valid test. I've seen reviews that seem to prove that Water Wetter in 50/50 mix reduces temps a little, and in 80/20 or 100% water reduces it more, but not by 30 degrees. Anyway, it's only $10 though some people use two bottles.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #73
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
I always wanted to, but I always forget how to access the hidden menu to see the water temp. Water wetter is no special ingredient. Water cools down faster than antifreeze and water wetter is there only to provide enough lubrication.
Thats incorrect. Water Wetter essentually breaks the surface tension of the coolant, and increases the latent heat transpher of the coolant.

Water wetter can be added to regular 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze for enhanced cooling.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 09:07 AM   #74
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerox445 View Post
Thats incorrect. Water Wetter essentually breaks the surface tension of the coolant, and increases the latent heat transpher of the coolant.

Water wetter can be added to regular 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze for enhanced cooling.
Some articles I read on the product indicated otherwise. Most of them indicated that Water Wetter by itself doesn't help cool down the engine. Water wetter is more like an additive to the water to keep all the seals and piping lubricated. Water by itself is going to cool down faster than the coolant and that is where you will see the benefit. I don't know of anyone using the product with the coolant but I know it is compatible. I guess adding it to 50/50 mix just makes it 40/60, so partial benefit might be there.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #75
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
Some articles I read on the product indicated otherwise. Most of them indicated that Water Wetter by itself doesn't help cool down the engine. Water wetter is more like an additive to the water to keep all the seals and piping lubricated. Water by itself is going to cool down faster than the coolant and that is where you will see the benefit. I don't know of anyone using the product with the coolant but I know it is compatible. I guess adding it to 50/50 mix just makes it 40/60, so partial benefit might be there.
Can you quote or link the articles? I've been using water wetter for over 10 years in cooling systems with and without anti-freeze; and before that we used to put a few drops of liquid soap in the cooling system, it essentially does the same thing.

Obviously you are going to get a larger temperature drop when using just water, and a bottle of water wetter, but that is due to the greater heat transfer of a purer mix of water vs water/antifreeze. To suggest that water wetter product itself is "more effective" in a %100 distilled environment is incorrect.

The water wetter is still going to increase heat transfer by reducing surface tension in any mixture.

Here is the link to some of the tech specs of the product:

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...ech%20Info.pdf

Note the graph on page 1, right hand side.

DYNO TEST RESULTS
Dynomometer tests performed by Malcolm Garrett
Racing Engines showed significant improvements in
coolant temperatures using WaterWetter®. These
tests were performed with a Chevrolet 350 V-8 with a
cast iron block and aluminum cylinder heads. The
thermostat temperature was 160°F. The engine operated
at 7200 rpm for three hours and the stabilized
cooling system temperature was recorded and tabulated
below:
Cooling System Fluid Stabilized Temperature
50% Glycol/ 50% Water 228°F
50/50 with WaterWetter® 220°F
Water 220°F
Water with WaterWetter® 202°F
These numbers are similar to the temperatures
recorded in track use and heavy-duty street use.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #76
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerox445 View Post
Can you quote or link the articles? I've been using water wetter for over 10 years in cooling systems with and without anti-freeze; and before that we used to put a few drops of liquid soap in the cooling system, it essentially does the same thing.

Obviously you are going to get a larger temperature drop when using just water, and a bottle of water wetter, but that is due to the greater heat transfer of a purer mix of water vs water/antifreeze. To suggest that water wetter product itself is "more effective" in a %100 distilled environment is incorrect.

The water wetter is still going to increase heat transfer by reducing surface tension in any mixture.

Here is the link to some of the tech specs of the product:

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...ech%20Info.pdf

Note the graph on page 1, right hand side.

DYNO TEST RESULTS
Dynomometer tests performed by Malcolm Garrett
Racing Engines showed significant improvements in
coolant temperatures using WaterWetter®. These
tests were performed with a Chevrolet 350 V-8 with a
cast iron block and aluminum cylinder heads. The
thermostat temperature was 160°F. The engine operated
at 7200 rpm for three hours and the stabilized
cooling system temperature was recorded and tabulated
below:
Cooling System Fluid Stabilized Temperature
50% Glycol/ 50% Water 228°F
50/50 with WaterWetter® 220°F
Water 220°F
Water with WaterWetter® 202°F
These numbers are similar to the temperatures
recorded in track use and heavy-duty street use.
I am using it over 5 years and I love the product. What you just posted basically is the same what I read 5 or more years ago when I did the research. I am just interpreting it differently though. ~5* drop was achieved during the testing if the product was added to the coolant mixture. In my opinion if you are experience heat issues, this by itself is not going to help you. On the other hand using this product with plain water approximately 15-25* drop was achieved in different engines. In other words I agree with what you are saying
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #77
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
Brakes - stock pads, stock brake lines, stock brake fluid WILL FADE. If you dont experience it then I will guarantee you are not at your cars limit or not really pushing it. Not a single car out on the track that is running hard and pushing it would survive with the stock pads,lines, fluids.

my 2 cents
Minimum change so that the stock system doesn't grenade? Perhaps RBF 600 and some new pads? What pads are people running on an otherwise stock system?

My 135i is a backup car if it rains hard next weekend at the track and planning for contingency. My track car has tires that won't do in the rain.
Appreciate 0