BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2016, 10:14 PM   #1
marco_135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

2012 135i n55 ready to mod

Hey guys,

The pass couple of days I been reading these forums quiet a bit in order to research modifying my 2012 135i w/ DCT a bit further.

So far I have the JB4 stage 3, Intake and just order a catless downpipe today. From my understanding once I get the downpipe installed I could be running the JB4 on MAP 2? Can anyone confirm this? Also my next mod is an upgraded front mount intercooler and oil cooler. I would like to reach 400whp on my car, but not sure these mods will be enough for the n55 engine as I read some posts that the N54 makes more power with the stock turbos and can reach 400whp pretty easy.

Can someone provide me with some guidance on how to successfully achive 400whp on a 2012 135i n55 motor? Thanks in advanced.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 10:36 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

You're not gonna get a legit 400 whp without a hybrid / upgraded turbo or fueling with 100% methanol (and all the fueling upgrades / headaches that would case). Reason being the turbos can't flow enough air. Methanol would work because although it has less energy per weight than gas you can cram WAY more in thus making a bigger bang per amount of air.

Anyway, what you DEFINITELY want is water / meth injection. HUGE bang for the buck. It will heavily supplement your intercooler, especially if you inject directly after it, suppress detonation--especially if you spray thru a throttle body spacer--and add a little fueling any way you go. You can easily inject in 2 or more locations using using simple connectors all the meth kit guys offer. Don't use brass fittings from the hardware store as they will be attacked by the methanol. Mix the water and methanol 50 / 50 by WEIGHT. You can also use denatured alcohol / ethanol but DO NOT use isopropyl!! It doesn't work. As far as safety goes, the JB4 leaves the engine's internal safety mechanisms intact and they're more than enough to deal with a standard meth / JB4 setup on stock turbos.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 10:42 PM   #3
marco_135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
You're not gonna get a legit 400 whp without a hybrid / upgraded turbo or fueling with 100% methanol (and all the fueling upgrades / headaches that would case). Reason being the turbos can't flow enough air. Methanol would work because although it has less energy per weight than gas you can cram WAY more in thus making a bigger bang per amount of air.

Anyway, what you DEFINITELY want is water / meth injection. HUGE bang for the buck. It will heavily supplement your intercooler, especially if you inject directly after it, suppress detonation--especially if you spray thru a throttle body spacer--and add a little fueling any way you go. You can easily inject in 2 or more locations using using simple connectors all the meth kit guys offer. Don't use brass fittings from the hardware store as they will be attacked by the methanol. Mix the water and methanol 50 / 50. You can also use denatured alcohol / ethanol but DO NOT use isopropyl!! It doesn't work. As far as safety goes, the JB4 leaves the engine's internal safety mechanisms intact and they're more than enough to deal with a standard meth / JB4 setup on stock turbos.
Yeah based on my research I didn't think I could hit 400whp. What should I expect without a turbo upgrade and FBO's more like 350whp you think? What does a hybrid turbo mean is it a type of turbo? Such as the stock twin scrolled turbo the N55 comes with?

So if I get FBO's and upgrade the turbo should I hit the 400whp easily?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #4
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_135i View Post
What does a hybrid turbo mean is it a type of turbo? Such as the stock twin scrolled turbo the N55 comes with?

So if I get FBO's and upgrade the turbo should I hit the 400whp easily?
Hybrid turbo means the turbo is fitted with a larger compressor wheel / housing so it pushes more air in.

If you're willing to modify the turbo you could get 500+ whp but you'll also need fueling. I don't believe there are any real offerings in the way of enlarged turbine housing / turbines either, which means the part powering the compressor is gonna get really damn hot during any extended use of that power so your turbos may not last very long.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
marco_135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for your feedback. When upgrading the turbo to an aftermarket turbo when it comes to fueling is upgrading injectors and fuel pump is sufficient?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 03:38 AM   #6
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_135i
Thanks for your feedback. When upgrading the turbo to an aftermarket turbo when it comes to fueling is upgrading injectors and fuel pump is sufficient?
check out a thread me and a buddy on here made. there is a video of my fbo jb4/meth stock turbo n54 with 405 whp doing a pull on a street course in mexico with a fbo jb4/E85 n55 stage 1 pure turbo upgrade. pretty dam close. I just barely start pulling away. from what I understood the stage one pure turbo wasn't horribly expensive. look up N54 vs N55 thread. maybe loesch can share a link to it. as far as fueling we both had the inline fuel pump so we could run E85. we've taken both our cars from stock to where they are today in our own garages with diy threads from here and videos and internet research. not many tools in my garage. jack, jack stands and a hand full of sockets and wrenches. not sure where your locate but unless your planning on tracking your car a lot the extra oil cooler probably won't be extremely beneficial. maybe someone with knowledge can chime in but I wouldn't think you need it unless tracking.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 03:57 AM   #7
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
I wouldn't think you need it unless tracking.
Correct. If you need an oil cooler for the street you need to save up for a good lawyer.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
marco_135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
check out a thread me and a buddy on here made. there is a video of my fbo jb4/meth stock turbo n54 with 405 whp doing a pull on a street course in mexico with a fbo jb4/E85 n55 stage 1 pure turbo upgrade. pretty dam close. I just barely start pulling away. from what I understood the stage one pure turbo wasn't horribly expensive. look up N54 vs N55 thread. maybe loesch can share a link to it. as far as fueling we both had the inline fuel pump so we could run E85. we've taken both our cars from stock to where they are today in our own garages with diy threads from here and videos and internet research. not many tools in my garage. jack, jack stands and a hand full of sockets and wrenches. not sure where your locate but unless your planning on tracking your car a lot the extra oil cooler probably won't be extremely beneficial. maybe someone with knowledge can chime in but I wouldn't think you need it unless tracking.
Thanks for the feedback guys much appreciated.. Hey is this intercooler okay http://www.topgearsolutions.com/vrsf...i-n54-n55.html
? Seems like 520 is a bargain. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_135i
Thanks for the feedback guys much appreciated.. Hey is this intercooler okay http://www.topgearsolutions.com/vrsf...i-n54-n55.html
? Seems like 520 is a bargain. Thank you.
I would just keep an eye out here in the for sale threads for a used one. I don't like vrsf but that's a personal choice. can save a lot of money by acting quick on some of the for sale threads.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #10
marco_135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I would just keep an eye out here in the for sale threads for a used one. I don't like vrsf but that's a personal choice. can save a lot of money by acting quick on some of the for sale threads.
Thanks for the feedback I will most definitely do that. I was sort of looking for recommendations. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #11
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
I'm a cheap ass so I would go with the cheapest you can find. with where your going, pretty much either one is going to do the job with almost little difference.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #12
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_135i View Post
You'll just want to get a low pressure fuel pump upgrade for 400whp. You'll see it abbreviated as LPFP all over the forums. I recommend Fuel-It's Stage 2. You can get away with their Stage 1 if you go with methanol instead of E85 mix.

If you go with something like Pure Turbos' Stage 2 turbo upgrade then you'll want to upgrade the high pressure fuel system also in order to max out the turbo's potential. There are 2 options there. You don't replace the injectors but add more fuel in 1 of 2 ways...Port Injection or Throttle body injection. Currently port injection seems to be the best option based on users experience but it's crazy expensive.

Based on what I'd read so far...

up to...
350whp - no fuel upgrades necessary
350whp - 450whp - Stage 2 LPFP
450whp - 550whp - Stage 2 LPFP + Throttle body injection OR Port injection
550whp + - Stage 3 LPFP + Port injection

People seem to really like the stepped intercoolers. Wagner gets pretty good reviews.
2011 135i M Sport 6MT LeMans Blue | Active Autowerke Gen II axle back | Berk d******* | N54 gutted mids | FuelIt Walbro 450 fuel pump | Pure Turbos Stage 2 | 3.5bar TMAP | Pure Turbos inlet pipe | BMS intake | BMS oil catch can | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | BMS JB4 w/ ISO firmware | BMS backend flash stacked on PPK | Eibach springs | Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts | cosmetic tidbits

Last edited by loesch; 04-05-2016 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0