FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #46
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
So I guess some people here are too naive to realize that a LOT of cars are based on something seen or learned OUTSIDE of the manufacturers "thinking box". The point HPA was making was that the 1M was first made by others outside of BMW and that it's very possible for them to have been persuaded to go ahead and at least START a dialogue about whether it would be a sustainable venture. HPA = M3 Suspension FACT, Burger/Vishnu = Tune FACT, E/R = Widebody, FACT. But like I said, some of you will never get it, because in reality, you never saw the 1er for what is was or could be until there was the M badge involved. The "M" seems to attract those types sometimes. I however am greatful that,
A: BMW Listens
or
B: BMW knows "somehow" that we wanted this.

Because they got this idea somewhere, and if you followed its creation from way before it was even confirmed, you would know that they (BMW) weren't sure if it would be a seller or not.

This forum is more powerful than some think.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #47
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
So I guess some people here are too naive to realize that a LOT of cars are based on something seen or learned OUTSIDE of the manufacturers "thinking box". The point HPA was making was that the 1M was first made by others outside of BMW and that it's very possible for them to have been persuaded to go ahead and at least START a dialogue about whether it would be a sustainable venture. HPA = M3 Suspension FACT, Burger/Vishnu = Tune FACT, E/R = Widebody, FACT. But like I said, some of you will never get it, because in reality, you never saw the 1er for what is was or could be until there was the M badge involved. The "M" seems to attract those types sometimes. I however am greatful that,
A: BMW Listens
or
B: BMW knows "somehow" that we wanted this.

Because they got this idea somewhere, and if you followed its creation from way before it was even confirmed, you would know that they (BMW) weren't sure if it would be a seller or not.

This forum is more powerful than some think.

Right!!! You can't actually believe this right? This ranks right up there with the end of the world predictions.

I hear the world is ending October 21st now as well.

Wow, I just don't know what else to say just Wow! SPAJPR!
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #48
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I'm trying to figure out the DSC on this 1M. From what I understand, the MDM is a sub-mode of the DSC (the regulator). With MDM active, is this what allows wild power slides? Or, does it intervene earlier. In other words, does MDM only allow mild oversteer, while if you want to have a donut, you need to completely turn off DSC?
CM
      05-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #49
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthColin View Post
In other words, does MDM only allow mild oversteer, while if you want to have a donut, you need to completely turn off DSC?
CM
yea
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #50
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Ok. Thanks. DSC off it is then!
      05-26-2011, 12:56 AM   #51
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

MDM should be the default, it allows me to drive the way I want while keeping the safety net for any sudden loss of traction. It's annoying to hit it every time I get in the car, especially coming from an Evo with no e-nannies. With it on you cannot use the throttle AT ALL to rotate the car which is how I prefer to drive. Words really don't describe how sensitive and intrusive it is. It will cut the power for way too long and I would rather ENGAGE the DSC in bad weather but leave it off otherwise. With it completely off it is a wild animal and I see why BMW had to put that on there for most of its customer base. Any decent driver will reach the limits of the full traction control on the streets way before the skidding starts.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #52
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

How is this any different from the settings on the 135? Why call one MDM, they seem like identical things.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #53
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
Right!!! You can't actually believe this right? This ranks right up there with the end of the world predictions.

I hear the world is ending October 21st now as well.

Wow, I just don't know what else to say just Wow! SPAJPR!
Believe whatever you want. Makes no difference to me.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #54
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

In a loose way, can you compare MDM to DTC? It seems MDM is the way to go for every day driving. Stability control systems I find intrusive and quite annoying. Like most men, I believe I have above average driving skills (attempt at humour). However, this will be my first high-power RWD car. Hopefully I don't make an ass of myself. I'll continue practice with GT5.
      05-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #55
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthColin View Post
In a loose way, can you compare MDM to DTC? It seems MDM is the way to go for every day driving. Stability control systems I find intrusive and quite annoying. Like most men, I believe I have above average driving skills (attempt at humour). However, this will be my first high-power RWD car. Hopefully I don't make an ass of myself. I'll continue practice with GT5.
For lateral movement the mdm mode still holds you back quiet a bit, don't think you can swing the tail out wildly or anying like that. I feel it allows only a couple of inches of travel (lateral).

It does however allow you to take coners really hard just before traction breaks. Dtc will not allow you to enter the corner and apply throttle in the same way as it will cut the fun fast.

Dtc off... I have not tried that yet; reserved for the racetrack. Have not found a need for it as the car is a monster as it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #56
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
How is this any different from the settings on the 135? Why call one MDM, they seem like identical things.
MDM allows a larger slip angle than DSC...
      05-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #57
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
Dtc off... I have not tried that yet; reserved for the racetrack. Have not found a need for it as the car is a monster as it is.

Wise indeed. Seriously... I really can't see any reason for one to have all the traction control devices off on a drive to work.... or even a spirited drive on a Saturday afternoon... Better to save those moments for an autocross or track.. or at the least a WIDE open parking lot.... as opposed to running out of talent and making a guy like me work ..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #58
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I probably won't switch off the DTC until I do some experimentation in a wet or snowy parking lot. Sounds like fun though, but not for the tires.
      05-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #59
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I care... i'm buying a so-say sporty car, and I would like to get some decent seats with it, not the run of the mill crap that have virtually no lateral support, and were already present in my 135i, or my friends 118d. I don't actually care where they are installed - I just object to the fact I need to pay 5K for the performance seats, and then have to store or try and sell the original seats - which nobody will buy because there is nothing special about them (and don't start on about the colour of the stitching). If you really think a dealer in europe will give you a few K to restock new 1M seats then you don't have a clue...

There is no good reason that BMW can't just charge say 2-3K extra and deliver the car to the customer with performance seats (regardless of who fits them).

I really don't see why you don't understand the complaint on this one. The seats have been one of the very few things that people have complained about on this car, and with good reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

Who cares? Plenty of companies install options at the dealer. Subaru for example installs ALL options at the dealer.

Actually.. if you get the car with stock seats... BMW will just ship the peformance seats to the dealer for install. The dealer installs the performance seats prior to delivery (or you Do it yourself... if it's like past seats it is a whopping four bolts per seat) then that means you have a set of brand new 1M seats that you can sell! Not sure if the seats are desired by others, but they might be... Don't want hassle of the extra seats? I am sure the dealer will be HAPPY to take them into inventory and sell them off themselves. I really don't see any reason for concern/complaint on this one ...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #60
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_UK View Post
I care... i'm buying a so-say sporty car, and I would like to get some decent seats with it, not the run of the mill crap that have virtually no lateral support, and were already present in my 135i, or my friends 118d. I don't actually care where they are installed - I just object to the fact I need to pay 5K for the performance seats, and then have to store or try and sell the original seats - which nobody will buy because there is nothing special about them (and don't start on about the colour of the stitching). If you really think a dealer in europe will give you a few K to restock new 1M seats then you don't have a clue...

There is no good reason that BMW can't just charge say 2-3K extra and deliver the car to the customer with performance seats (regardless of who fits them).

I really don't see why you don't understand the complaint on this one. The seats have been one of the very few things that people have complained about on this car, and with good reason

i read your post as more a rant about buying performance seats and them not being installed. If you go back and re-read your post 21... you will see what I mean... Perhaps it was in your thought process, but no mention of the QUALITY of the OEM seats was made.. I don't personally have an issue with the stock seats after autocrossing a friends 135 recently and driving the 1M on street/track/autocross for an afternoon .... If my opinion changes when I own the car, then I'll put in aftermarket seats.. No "performance seat" is going to be better than the race seats I have in my E30 M3 right now anyway...

I'd rather take my 2-3K extra and buy my own aftermarket seats than deal with something the manufacturer is making $$$ on anyway. All I want is an awesome car... which the 1M is... I'll take care of ancillary stuff. Since you currently own a 135 already..., understandably it seems that you are looking for more out of the 1M than a new 1 series buyer..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 05-27-2011 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #61
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
i read your post as more a rant about buying performance seats and them not being installed. If you go back and re-read your post 21... you will see what I mean... Perhaps it was in your thought process, but no mention of the QUALITY of the OEM seats was made.. I don't personally have an issue with the stock seats after autocrossing a friends 135 recently and driving the 1M on street/track/autocross for an afternoon .... If my opinion changes when I own the car, then I'll put in aftermarket seats.. No "performance seat" is going to be better than the race seats I have in my E30 M3 right now anyway...

I'd rather take my 2-3K extra and buy my own aftermarket seats than deal with something the manufacturer is making $$$ on anyway. All I want is an awesome car... which the 1M is... I'll take care of ancillary stuff. Since you currently own a 135 already..., understandably it seems that you are looking for more out of the 1M than a new 1 series buyer..
I'm buying the 1m as a car I can drive daily, and still enjoy on the track ( as you said - like my 136i but better), without having to brace my self in every corner to avoid being pushed against the side window. Installing race seats is not really an option on a daily driver where you want access to the rear seats sometimes. In Europe the seats also need to be homologated. Further more, if I was looking for a race car then I would not be buying the 1m. In any case, my complaint was with the guy's answers which were just like a pre-programmed robot. For example he could have said why those seats could not be installed t the factory.

Last edited by CDR_UK; 05-27-2011 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0