BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-11-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Cheating in the NFL has neglible consequences

So I learned that the NFL has decided what penalties to levy against members of the NE Patriots football team in connection with "inflate-gate:"
  • Tom Brady --> four game suspension in 2015
  • NE Patriots -- > $1,000,000
The NFL, last I heard, haven't doled out the penalty to the individual(s) who actually deflated the balls.

Four game suspension and $1M? Really? That's it?

Sure, to individuals who don't measure their net worth in the hundreds of millions or more, even most likely to Tom Brady, $1M is a huge sum. To a $2.6 billion team, it's "chump change," at least when it's the sum levied as a penalty for cheating. After all, for a $2B+ organization/company, $1M is a small enough sum to just count it as part of the cost of doing business. (http://www.ibtimes.com/tom-brady-sta...triots-1799880)

The NFL, Robert Kraft, and Mr. Brady should all be ashamed of themselves!
  • The NFL for tacitly sending the message that if one can afford it, cheating is okay. Also for not, upon discovering the irregularity, having stripped the Patriots of their conference win and denying them the right to play in the Superbowl. There is simply no way the balls, 11 of 12 of them, could have have all been accidentally two pounds under-inflated.
  • Mr. Kraft for establishing a "tone at the top" that fails to create a culture of high enough integrity that nobody in the organization would cheat to advance his organization's fortunes.
  • Mr. Brady for not reporting that there was an irregularity the instant he noticed his grip on the ball was better than it would have been were the balls filled with two pounds more pressure. That man throws footballs for a living; there's no way he couldn't have noticed.
This is a sad day for professional football. It's not sad because there was cheating. Cheating is nothing new and individuals will attempt to cheat if they think they can get away with it. It's sad, because for all intents and purposes, the people who are the stars of the Patriots organization -- the owner and the lead quarterback -- have effectively gotten away with it in spite of it being clear that cheating happened.

All the best.

Edit:
FWIW, I am not an NFL football fan of any sort. I root for the Redskins if they are doing well or appear to be. That said, for the past 20+ years, the Skins have done so poorly that I haven't watched them or any other team play. I don't know if that makes a diehard Skins fan or a sometimey fan, but either way, for me, it's the Skins or nobody. I did not watch the 2015 Super Bowl.
- T

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 05-11-2015 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

I agree with everything stated above. The punishment was nowhere near what it should have been after investigation. Stripping the Patriots of their superbowl title would have sufficed. The millions of revenue the team came up with for winning the championship dwarfs the $1M they just lost off the fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Not pretty but way of the world. Don't get to the top cleanly.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
I agree with everything stated above. The punishment was nowhere near what it should have been after investigation. Stripping the Patriots of their superbowl title would have sufficed. The millions of revenue the team came up with for winning the championship dwarfs the $1M they just lost off the fine.
Frankly, were I part of the group that determined the penalties, I would have suspended the Patriots from playing in the 2016 season. Unfortunately, the team owners in the NFL are a chums and nothing can be done that they don't approve of. I would bet money that the penalty is so light because every one of those other owners wouldn't want super stiff sanctions levied upon them were their teams found to have cheated. I wonder therefor if the under-inflated balls aren't the only form of dishonesty going on.

It's a damn shame that what is supposed to be a game is more about money and business than it is about sport.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
      05-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive ///M Sport

Im a Giants fan, hate the pats and Tom Brady and I think the penalty imposed fits the crime. I mean it's not like they were caught bribing referees or doing anything that could significantly alter the course of a game. An under inflated football doesn't win you a game. Does it help ? Sure. But it doesn't win you a game or a championship.

They lost their starting QB for 1/4 of the season and lost a first round and fourth round pick. That's significant in today's the NFL.

Aaron Rodgers has said he bends the rules about football inflation, preferring them as close or over the maximum limit, yet no investigation has been launched or have penalties been imposed.

True honesty is rare in sports at any level, let alone the pros where millions of dollars are at stake, teams will try to get any edge they can get. The Pats got caught and they were accordingly penalized, end of story.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

"Excuse me. Excuse me. I believe this ball is slightly deflated."

Said no quarterback ever. Get the ball, play the ball.

What a whiney bitch.

Want to get on someone for not noticing and rectifying the situation? Get on the referees. Get on the equipment crews. Oh no, lets blame the Evil Empire of the NE Pats. Mastermind cheaters at sports with a slight pressure drop on balls handled literally hundreds of times by referees through the game. F off.
      05-11-2015, 10:52 PM   #8
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
"Excuse me. Excuse me. I believe this ball is slightly deflated."

Said no quarterback ever.
Get the ball, play the ball.

What a whiney bitch.

Want to get on someone for not noticing and rectifying the situation? Get on the referees. Get on the equipment crews. Oh no, lets blame the Evil Empire of the NE Pats. Mastermind cheaters at sports with a slight pressure drop on balls handled literally hundreds of times by referees through the game. F off.
Red:
Well, has there been evidence before that a clear reason to have done so existed?

Blue:
Fair enough, to a point. That they all may have had opportunity to have said and done something isn't beyond plausibility. Indeed, the most plausible explanation of who deflated the balls would be, IMO, someone on the equipment crew, so I hardly think they would have come forward. Yet, I suppose a member of that crew other than the one or two who partook in the deflation may have been in a position to have noticed. Be that as it may, the QB without a doubt would have noticed and, noticing, honor would dictate that he speak up.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #9
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blu View Post
Im a Giants fan, hate the pats and Tom Brady and I think the penalty imposed fits the crime. I mean it's not like they were caught bribing referees or doing anything that could significantly alter the course of a game. An under inflated football doesn't win you a game. Does it help ? Sure. But it doesn't win you a game or a championship.

They lost their starting QB for 1/4 of the season and lost a first round and fourth round pick. That's significant in today's the NFL.

Aaron Rodgers has said he bends the rules about football inflation, preferring them as close or over the maximum limit, yet no investigation has been launched or have penalties been imposed.

True honesty is rare in sports at any level, let alone the pros where millions of dollars are at stake, teams will try to get any edge they can get. The Pats got caught and they were accordingly penalized, end of story.
Perhaps it is. Can you point to anything that quantifies the cost of those two additional penalties? I can't. I also cannot help but wonder just how significant those two things might be to a team that won the Superbowl. Do they not have a strong enough team to weather those two things?

After all, next season, NE need only make it to the playoffs. I think that so long as they do that, having their star QB back in the lineup at that time along with being the prior year's Bowl-winning team, they will nonetheless have a very fine chance at winning their conference and advancing to the 2016 Bowl.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 06:21 AM   #10
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Since my other post was deleted

.....Tom Brady is a hero and in celebration of being a fan of watching the best to ever do it I am buying my kids more TB12 gear.

Vacate a super bowl, ( because they didn't play with regular balls in that game?) ( its all about the money (of course it is)

Give me a break! Most who want to punish the patriots are blinded by hate for a franchise who has the blue print to wining. A real NFL fan would cut their leg off for TB to be their QB.
      05-12-2015, 06:29 AM   #11
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blu View Post
Im a Giants fan, hate the pats and Tom Brady and I think the penalty imposed fits the crime. .
You "hate" the pats but you are okay with the penalty.....You sound very unbiased and I am sure you are looking at this fair, diplomatically.

there is no real competitive advantage with a .5 less psi ball.... He broke a silly rule... A rule non the less it should be one game only and just a Fine for the pats.. A first round pick is huge blow, way over the top
      05-12-2015, 07:03 AM   #12
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

We should have a congressional inquiry. Kind of like they did when they went after baseball players for juicing because some how a bunch of guys shooting roids and swinging a bat became a matter of national security.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 07:07 AM   #13
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Red:
Well, has there been evidence before that a clear reason to have done so existed?

Blue:
Fair enough, to a point. That they all may have had opportunity to have said and done something isn't beyond plausibility. Indeed, the most plausible explanation of who deflated the balls would be, IMO, someone on the equipment crew, so I hardly think they would have come forward. Yet, I suppose a member of that crew other than the one or two who partook in the deflation may have been in a position to have noticed. Be that as it may, the QB without a doubt would have noticed and, noticing, honor would dictate that he speak up.

All the best.
Point is lots of people came in contact with it and no one said anything.
      05-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #14
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
Since my other post was deleted

.....Tom Brady is a hero and in celebration of being a fan of watching the best to ever do it I am buying my kids more TB12 gear.

Vacate a super bowl, ( because they didn't play with regular balls in that game?) ( its all about the money (of course it is)

Give me a break! Most who want to punish the patriots are blinded by hate for a franchise who has the blue print to wining. A real NFL fan would cut their leg off for TB to be their QB.
It's a typical Pats fan response. Nobody questions the talent of Brady and the genius of Belicheck. But, the culture that has been built is one of arrogance and win at all cost. They broke the rules now twice (that we know of) in the playoffs to gain a competitive advantage. Would the Colts won the game? No, I don't think so. But, why cheat to win? And then, to make it worse, he covers up the incident, doesn't turn over evidence to the NFL, and makes 2 guys take the fall for his actions. It's cowardly and beyond despicable.

It is a joke that they are allowed to keep all the wins after being caught cheating. This is a slap in a wrist and nobody will care after the season starts. I do hope this tarnishes Brady's reputation like to did to A-Rod and others in baseball. But, Pats fan can't ever be objective and stop looking through rose colored glasses.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 07:53 AM   #15
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
You "hate" the pats but you are okay with the penalty.....You sound very unbiased and I am sure you are looking at this fair, diplomatically.

there is no real competitive advantage with a .5 less psi ball.... He broke a silly rule... A rule non the less it should be one game only and just a Fine for the pats.. A first round pick is huge blow, way over the top
People that hate the pats are kicking and screaming that the penalties weren't harsh enough. Whether I hate the pats or not, and no matter which other team would have been caught doing the same, I would think that this punishment fits the crime.
      05-12-2015, 08:03 AM   #16
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Perhaps it is. Can you point to anything that quantifies the cost of those two additional penalties? I can't. I also cannot help but wonder just how significant those two things might be to a team that won the Superbowl. Do they not have a strong enough team to weather those two things?

After all, next season, NE need only make it to the playoffs. I think that so long as they do that, having their star QB back in the lineup at that time along with being the prior year's Bowl-winning team, they will nonetheless have a very fine chance at winning their conference and advancing to the 2016 Bowl.

All the best.
It is hard to quantify the loss of draft picks, just as hard as it is to quantify the effects of an under inflated football on the outcome of a game. The Patriots are contenders and all this does is make it harder for them to make it to the post season.

Brady refused to cooperate with the investigation and broke the rules to have an edge, he sits for 4 games. The Patriots were seemingly aware that the balls were under inflated, they get a fine and the loss of two draft picks. It's hard to agree on what a fair punishment might be, as we can see. Some claim that no punishment was needed while others are asking for bans, suspensions and vacating super bowls.

Franchises and players alike try to get an edge in all professional sports, some get caught, most don't.
      05-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #17
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

the penalty is bullshit as stated before....$1mil is NOTHING.

honestly i wouldnt be surprised if they knew about this from before the superbowl but wanted to keep the show going for monetary reasons

what would have been a more realistic punishment? disqualify NE from the superbowl and have someone else play. what hurts more than losing a superbowl? NOT BEING IN ONE........that'll teach them a lesson
      05-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #18
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I'm not a football fan, can someone explain why the teams get to possess the gaming balls for the entire season?

Why not the NFL and referee govern all the gaming balls and supply them at kick-off? Like most other sports do?

If any ball is "deflated", then both teams gets the same benefit.
      05-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #19
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

How did Belichik get out totally unscathed?

"A Liar, a murderer, and a cheater walk into a bar. . .

The Patriots must be in town"
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #20
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

man, I hope they reduce it to 3 games so the Cowboys still gotta face him LOL
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #21
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Haven't combed through every response, but I wanted to comment.

The two ballhandlers that were in control of the ball pressure were suspended indefinitely. Last I read, there were text messages between Tom Brady and the official ballhandlers that suggested he knew very well what was going on. In the end, the $1M penalty isn't enough for the team.
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #22
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

The New England guy defends the cheating and all of the rest are outraged. Surprised? The NFL has no integrity, so what did you expect? Goodell and NFL corporate are stooges for the owners, and Kraft is the alpha owner, Brady is the biggest brand within the league. I was actually impressed with the severity of the penalty based upon who cheated. Can you imagine what the punishment would be if it had been Michael Vick who was caught cheating?
Appreciate 1