BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Maddad Mid-Pipes + aFe Sound Clips!!!

Please see my brief review here:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363206

Sound Clips below and enjoy:

Idling & Rev:

Inside

Inside:

Drive by:
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Sounds awesome from the outside! It's very loud though but is that because the sound was bouncing off the wall? Also, can you comment on what the in-cabin sound is like? It's hard to tell from that video and I drive in the 2000rpm-2500rpm and that video was mostly 25000rpm+

Thanks for posting the videos so quickly!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

Sounds great!
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

There is drone around 2000-2500 rpm whenever engine was under load (like moderate press on gas padel), but little drone during coarsing. Yes, the exhaust does sound loud but not as loud as other American hot rod which I owned.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

Damn sounds super sick! Looks like I found my mid pipe solution!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
There is drone around 2000-2500 rpm whenever engine was under load (like moderate press on gas padel), but little drone during coarsing. Yes, the exhaust does sound loud but not as loud as other American hot rod which I owned.
Thanks for confirming that, I know it's hard to answer but how much worse is the drone? This is a tempting setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

The drone is due to aFe's mufflerless design and it is not introduced by Maddad's mid-pipes.

I am impressed and strongly recommended Maddad mid-pipes especially you want to add more agressive sound to your existing axle back exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Just dropped this in another thread and figure it would be good here as well. Just to set proper expectations for folks.
--------------------

1. While our midpipe has tuned mini-resonators it will in no way eliminate all the drone in every exhaust. It will simply be less than what it would be with say a midpipe with no resonators. The amount of drone one might get is in a big way influenced by the axleback section, and the harmony of the entire system..which brings up point # 2.

2. When we did the tuning of the midpipe we tuned it with a Whisper series axleback. There have been some Whisper owners that claim it is quiter inside the car cabin than the factory exhaust. I won't argue that claim becuase the Whisper was specifically engineered to be rediculously quite inside the cabin of the car while bringing a better "sport" character to the sound of the car. While our midpipe is a great addtion to any setup its obviously going have its smoothest mate be a Whisper series axleback because the sound tuning was dialed in with that system.

3. If you look at a BMW 135i the wrong way the thing will drone - OK ,that is a joke but honestly, this car is very difficult to tune the sound to totally eliminate droning. As one just noted(in a different thread) even the factory axleback can drone with a performance midpipe..and one with resonators no less.

So I just want to make it clear...mainly to set expectation correctly for any prospective buyers. While I love selling parts, I love selling parts that meet the expectaions of the buyer, and I don't want anyone with a muffler-less exhaust thinking this is the magic part that might allow them to really open it up without any drone at all. I will just say it will open it up while minimizing drone over a midpipe without resonators..while giving a oem'ish type look by staggering the resonators in place of the factory cats and offering our "raw" T304SS look which is a matte grey rather than the typically mirror polish or nickel coated.

Happy Driving...

Rich
      03-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
The drone is due to aFe's mufflerless design and it is not introduced by Maddad's mid-pipes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
1. While our midpipe has tuned mini-resonators it will in no way eliminate all the drone in every exhaust. It will simply be less than what it would be with say a midpipe with no resonators.
I thought this was the case. Thanks for clearing that up My135 and Rich.

I have the AA axel back and I'm tempted to go with these midpipes. I think worst case scenario would be to sell the AA axel back and pick up a Whisper or Street Series Exhaust if it was too loud or the drone was too much. I thought the AA would have no drone but there is definitely some there.
Appreciate 0