BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #23
bmwzone
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 5.0 (ordered), 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Help me out here. So the recurring theme has to do with commute and traffic? Why even get a 135i Twin Turbo monster then? Try Toyota Yaris.

135i is a stick, rwd, twin turbo, and funnest car to drive around. That's what it's for.

Traffic? Commute? Huh?

PS They are giving away 328's on lease specials presume those are auto's since it's not a performance car. Go for it if you worried about having to row a gear and push in a clutch pedal while dealing with LA (or whereever) traffic.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #24
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

there's no escaping the turbo's benefit with the auto, you get to maintain full boost while your foot is held on the floor

anyone know what the weight difference is between the MT and Auto?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #25
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
It is a tough decision. I drove both; the manual first and then the step. The step is the best I've ever driven. If you are going to track your car, I would definitely go for the manual. I chose the auto because I have a bad back and the clutch would kill me. I live in the DC area and do alot of stop and go driving. That being said, I do miss the feel of a manual in a sports car like this. I don't think you can go wrong. I know that there are hardcore manual fans out there, but what BMW and Porsche have being doing with DCT, there may not be a reason to chose a manual in the future.
I agree. If you're going to track, get a manual. Unless you truly think you can exploit the steps fast shifts on the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #26
Dr3K0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular View Post
I agree. If you're going to track, get a manual. Unless you truly think you can exploit the steps fast shifts on the track.
Well the only track close by is its a drag strip. I like to attend but hardly would drive the car in there. I rather track on a road track, but dont know of any close to me.

Why is needed a manual on a track?

Is because of the "FUN" feel or the "advantage" of the manual?

How reliable is the step on a road track?

Does anyone have driven a step on a road track or auto-X?

So far to my understanding both trannys are good. Its just about preference.

Now, if there is any weakness on the step? How much constant abuse they take?

Manual will not have a problem with high temps but what about the step??

I tryed to find any info on steps (or any similar tranny) used on race cars but no luck. Found a lot of sequentials and DTC's but thats a different tranny.

I would love to test a manual to compare, but they dont have one.
When return to the dealer I will request another test drive with some serious tests. Like throttle bliping and modulation, fast shifting between gears, reaction to shift and pedal angle. THe CA will be scared or pissed. LOL

Its funny I picked everything on the car in les than 15 min but cant decide in a freaking tranny. I whould love a DCT tranny, but then the price tag is unknown.

Thanks everyone that has put their input on here. You help is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I already have an H&R Touring kit, a set of used TD03L sitting on my garage.

DreX
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #27
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr3K0 View Post
Right now I live in wedgefield, but I will move to my new home located on avalon park by the end of June.

Did you test drive the step??

Thanks

DreX
Cool stuff!

I did test drive the automatic before making my decision. I think that's what made the choice so hard. I knew the car would be fast, and the idea of an automatic seemed like the easy way to use that power.

I had limited experience with manual transmissions before buying my car. However, it's now my favorite thing about driving my car. When I drive my other car now it feels boring only having 2 pedals lol.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #28
UF135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW/CR 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr3K0 View Post
Well the only track close by is its a drag strip. I like to attend but hardly would drive the car in there. I rather track on a road track, but dont know of any close to me.
DreX
There are plenty of autocross opportunities in central Florida. Also there's Sebring, Daytona, and Palm Beach International all at your disposal. All within a couple of hours.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #29
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy View Post
The auto is faster than the manual due to the fact it holds boost between shifts, as well as delivering pretty quick shifts for an auto.... Check around, and the fastest 135s are all autos. It all comes down to user preference. If you don't care for the added driving experience that the manual gives, def. get the auto. It is faster and easier to live with around town.
Ah, no so fast.
Get it?

The auto's in most turbo engines do indeed tend to hold boost, however, faster? Prove it?
There haven't been any repeatable or significant tests to show that this is true.

What the "boost holding" ability does for the auto trans, is offset the lethargic off the line performance of slushy torque converters.
So, it's fast for an auto, but it's NOT faster than the manual.
Depending on the driver the race is as close as they get.

Jeez, some peeps.

BTW, if you are "die hard" manual trans driver, you will NOT like the auto in the long run. As nice as this new sportronic is, and it's a sweet piece, it's NO replacement for a manual.

For me, I'd be tempted by the new double clutch auto manuals, at least to try them for a while.
But, they don't offer that yet.

Here's why it's not just preference for harder driving or track driving, because slugh auto's AND dual clutch automanual's all can get easily confused as to what gear to be in in hard stops and corners. The sportronic is excellent on a day to day basis, but drive it hard into tight turns and you'll soon discover that what you thought was "so smart, it knows what gear I want.", to "uh, NO, that gear is TOO LOW for this corner, or that gear is TOO HIGH for that corner."
Most times the auto knows where to be, but in "auto" mode it can get confused.
In a manual, you select the gear, you select how to slip the clutch to modulate power, you control power to the wheels not with just 1 pedal but with two.
That is not an option in a manual, even if it can be selected "manually".
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #30
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Ah, no so fast.
Get it?

The auto's in most turbo engines do indeed tend to hold boost, however, faster? Prove it?
There haven't been any repeatable or significant tests to show that this is true.

What the "boost holding" ability does for the auto trans, is offset the lethargic off the line performance of slushy torque converters.

Jeez, some peeps.

In a straigh line, the auto will be faster. You simply can't shift as fast as it can, and I'm not sure what you're talking about "lethargic off the line". Autos will launch harder than a manual if you know what you're doing.

I drive a manual, but if it's drag racing we're talking about, the automatic has the advantage.

The ONLY reason manual transmissioned cars were faster than automatics in the past was the fact that they had more/tighter gear ratios. Both transmissions are 6 speeds in this case, so that advantage is gone and on top of that the automatic gets a lower final drive ratio.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #31
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Well, seems like there are so many hard core "manual" opinions out there. The manual is so much better, the manual will drive itself, the manual will allow you to hit warp speed, the manual gets more chicks, the manual.....ahhhhhhh .... I kid, I kid of course.....

Why can't it just be a simple choice, if you want a manual get a manual, if you want an automatic, get the automatic. Can't we all just get along
      05-26-2009, 11:40 PM   #32
FORCED AIR
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, Msport

The auto will be faster on the strip mod for mod....period

But that is not saying a manual will be far behind, or that it doesn't have advantages. Every auto I have dealt with (friends and family members as i have never owned one for myself) have begun to struggle with upshifts though after some time (1-2 years) with a few trips to the track here and there. This gets especially bad with increased power (ie 420 hp in the 135) to the point that the car starts to lag long enough to bounce off the limiter a few times.

Now have I seen the 135 do this yet...no....but I doubt it is different than every other auto in this regard.

You could remedy this with more frequent and better quality fluid changes and in the end a valve job on the tranny....but....
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #33
bimmerboy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Ah, no so fast.
Get it?

".
Not true at all. Go to www.n54tech.com, look at the 1/4mile times posted, and read up on what Terry from BMS has to say about the steptronic vs. manual in regards to holding boost between shifts. The fact is, 99% of the time, the automatic is going to be faster, due to the fact it can shift as fast, if not faster, than a manual, as well as its ability to hold more boost in-between shifts. It is also easier to build boost before launching with an automatic.. I'm not saying its impossible to be faster with a manual, i'm saying its common knowledge that if you want to run consistently faster 1/4mile times, get the auto.

I don't even have an automatic, I am just helping the original poster decide.
To the OP, I think it really comes down to your own choice, good luck, I think you will have a winner of a car either way
      05-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #34
deamon32
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOne View Post
I bought a stick shift but if they offered the 7 speed DCT I would have gotton it.
JMHO
+1
Dual clutch is amazing. I almost got a A3 about a year ago and the DCT is really nice
      05-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #35
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

I personally could not imagine getting a performance car with an automatic.

That being said, a manual is a pain in the ass in stop and go traffic. If I had to deal with stop and go traffic everyday I would want a car with an auto for DD.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #36
1lvr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i JB+

resale value will be higher and it will sell faster with the Auto. its a cute car and when that young lady wants to overpay you for it she will not be able to drive that stick...
      05-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #37
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

If I ever sell my AW/Blackette 6MT, I have a feeling there will be plenty of offers.
I might not get as much for it, but I'd rather meet the lady that is looking for a stick.
JMHO
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #38
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lvr View Post
resale value will be higher and it will sell faster with the Auto. its a cute car and when that young lady wants to overpay you for it she will not be able to drive that stick...
I know more women that prefer stick over automatic

why bmw marketing thinks everyone loves automatic's is beyond me, at least mini usa gets it right
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #39
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
I know more women that prefer stick over automatic

why bmw marketing thinks everyone loves automatic's is beyond me, at least mini usa gets it right
BMW has it just right. The VAST majority of customers would rather have an automatic than a manual.

My dealership said they throw a party every time they move a manual 3 Series.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #40
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
BMW has it just right. The VAST majority of customers would rather have an automatic than a manual.

+1

I love my manual, but I'm an enthusiast and loves the feel of the manual and the drive. But the VAST majority of people are not Enthusiast, they're your everyday consumer, who loves to brand shop and that's why they get the 335i or the 535i not having a clue what's under the hood...
      05-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #41
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I guess mini owners are smarter

one thing bmw does is push automatics, that's mostly what's at a dealer
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #42
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
I guess mini owners are smarter

one thing bmw does is push automatics, that's mostly what's at a dealer
I really don't know what being smart has to do with it. If you're using the car as a daily driver and don't track, and have to sit in traffic, then technically and AUTO is smarter. But it's more of a preference thing than anything else.
      05-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #43
bmwzone
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 5.0 (ordered), 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Time for some AI:

Its easy to talk about, its easy to sum it up when you just talk about automatics. We sittin' in here, I'm supposed to be the BMW 135i, and we in here talkin' about automatics. I mean listen, we talkin bout automatics. Not a stick, not a stick, not a stick. We talkin bout automatics. Not a stick, not a, not a, not the stick that I go out there and die for, and drive it like I stole it. Not the stick. We talkin' bout automatics, man. I mean how silly is that? We talkin' bout automatics. I know I'm supposed to be here @ 1addicts and all, I know I'm supposed to lead by example by ordering my 135i with a stick obviously. I know that, and I'm not shovin' it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know its important, I do. I honestly do. But we talkin' bout automatics, man. What are we talkin' bout? automatics? We talkin' bout automatics man. We talk... We talkin' bout automatics. We talkin' bout automatics. We ain't talkin' bout the stick, we talkin' bout automatics, man. When you pull outta the drive in a BMW 135i, and you see me take off like a jet, you see me fly, don't you? You see me give everything I got, right? But we talkin' bout automatics right now. We talkin' bout automatics. Man look, I hear you and this lag nonsense, its funny to me too. I mean, its strange, its strange to me too. But we talkin' bout automatics man. We not even talkin' bout the stick, the actual stick, when it matters. We talkin' bout automatics.

I mean "step" sorry to offend thee. Call mine a stick or anything else. It's the better car. Lots more people buy Honda Civics than any BMW don't make it better either. This thread is laughable.

Moderator?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #44
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Quote:
In a straigh line, the auto will be faster. You simply can't shift as fast as it can, and I'm not sure what you're talking about "lethargic off the line". Autos will launch harder than a manual if you know what you're doing.

I drive a manual, but if it's drag racing we're talking about, the automatic has the advantage.

The ONLY reason manual transmissioned cars were faster than automatics in the past was the fact that they had more/tighter gear ratios. Both transmissions are 6 speeds in this case, so that advantage is gone and on top of that the automatic gets a lower final drive ratio.
Absolutely true. I always get a chuckle out of the nonsense posted in these 6MT vs. Step threads. Anyone that says that either transmission is inherrently better than the other IMHO has their head in the sand. Every performance test that I've seen has them pretty much even up on the strip and the track.

I'm 35, and every car I've owned ('90 GT Mustang, '95 M3, '03 Accord V6 6MT, '03 Cobra, '05 GTO) up unitil 3 months ago has been a manual. My 135 is an automatic. Why?

1. The Step and N54 to me were a perfect match for one another. I had driven a 6MT 335 and liked it, but I was floored by the competence of the auto. To me, the best thing about the 1 is the TT engine and the tidal wave of torque that develops when it's on boost, and running the step in M mode up the gears produces a seamless, seemingly effortless flood of acceleration that's unlike anything else in its class. I was hooked within 5 minutes of driving my local dealer's launch car.

2. I live in a metro area, have 2 jobs, and now have a live in GF that can't drive a manual. In the world I live in, my 1 spends its life doing commuting duty, mixed in with an occasional back road romp or blast down an interstate on-ramp. The Step is perfect for that duty. It will putter along in D quietly and smoothly and get me 20 or so mpg, or it will go into M mode, rip off firm full-lock shifts, and have an uninitiated passenger close to soiling themself . And if I need to go to Lowes or take the dogs to the park, the GF can take the 1 to work and I can drive her soccer mom mobile (RX). For what I do, it's ideal. The Step makes the car both hugely practical and tons of fun, which is why I sold an LS2 GTO that I enjoyed immensley to get it.

The one thing that doesn't seem to get anywhere near enough attention in these threads is the difference in gearing. Yes, the final drive in the Step is shorter than the stick, but the bigger deal to me is the choice of transmission ratios. The Step has considerably wider gearing than the 6MT, so overall 1st gear is shorter, and 6th is taller. I think Step gearing works much better in practice with the TT engine. The N54 has so much torque everywhere that the close gearing in the 6MT almost seems like a waste, especially around town. Sure you can skip gears (as I expect a lot of the 6MT guys do), but I almost think the car would be a better drive with a 5-speed transmission. And I love the "tear your head off" 1st gear and taller, more relaxed top gear in the auto.

Bottom line, I think the cars are equally competent. The stick is a good one in true BMW fashion, and the folks that don't have the concerns I did with liveability and/or want the driver involvement should and will make it their choice. But this car with the Step IMO is special, and is a great choice as well. It all comes down to what your concerns are and what you plan to do with the car.

Good luck OP.

Last edited by Angry3; 05-27-2009 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0