BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #45
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by roldan View Post
Thanks!
Is there any danger of damage driving with it, do you think? I'm planning to run at an autocross on Sunday but won't be at the dealer 'til next Tuesday but don't want to run if I might break something..
I don't think it's going to hurt anything. I've been hearing it for a long time (just haven't had a chance to get the car in) and I've ran the hell out of the car in the mountains. That's actually when I first noticed it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #46
TheRustler
Speedy McSpeederson
Rep
Drives: A Juiced One

So I have the same issue and I took it to the dealer and they said that the lugs were torqued to tight and that was causing the clicking problem when cornering. I would retorque the wheels before you go to the autocross and see if that solved the problem.

They originally thought is was my brand new star specs so they removed my front wheels and put OEM wheels tires on and the noise went away. When the put the good wheels back on the noise was still gone. Problem solved!

Over torquing the lugs is much more common problem than a brake dust fastener coming loose.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #47
kingnonis
**1er Lover**
Rep
Drives: my gf insane

I have this too...7500 miles and on the left on tight turns... I just choose to ignore it

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #48
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustler View Post
So I have the same issue and I took it to the dealer and they said that the lugs were torqued to tight and that was causing the clicking problem when cornering. I would retorque the wheels before you go to the autocross and see if that solved the problem.

They originally thought is was my brand new star specs so they removed my front wheels and put OEM wheels tires on and the noise went away. When the put the good wheels back on the noise was still gone. Problem solved!

Over torquing the lugs is much more common problem than a brake dust fastener coming loose.

If that's the case then my car came that way from the factory, and so did a lot of other people's. It's hard for me to believe you can overtorque the lugs to the point where something in the brakes has clearence issues. I'm willing to be your problem returns.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #49
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Well my problem is that I can replicate the clicking sound in either direction. And it is just ONE click as I turn full lock in either direction. Did ANYONE else verify that is was just a loose dust cover?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #50
woodman650
Super Couper
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

I've got this problem too... and I LOVE that when I call a dealership to tell them about it, and mention that multiple members in the community are having a similar problem, his response is "who?"

It's as though the community of 1-series is limited to the 10 or so cars they work on at their immediate dealership. haha, silly.

I would think good techs would reach out to the communities like 1Addicts for troubleshooting suggestions and such if they run into a problem they can't diagnose.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #51
bentong
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E82 135i

Same issue, I replied on another thread.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...38#post6482238
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #52
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

I thought I heard clicking 2 weeks ago. It made me crazy. It went away after one day. Hope it doesn't come back.

Definitely sounded like a bushing/control arm issue. It's gone. We'll see when it cones back.

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #53
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Just rehashing and old thread here, but I'm having what I think is the same issue. 2010 135i vert and its so annoying. Dealer said they could reproduce it, but I hear it EVERY time I turn right...especially when turning hard, its a click click click click that sounds like something is stuck on the brake or wheel.

Anyway, I hope I can convince them at my next appointment.
      08-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #54
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
Just rehashing and old thread here, but I'm having what I think is the same issue. 2010 135i vert and its so annoying. Dealer said they could reproduce it, but I hear it EVERY time I turn right...especially when turning hard, its a click click click click that sounds like something is stuck on the brake or wheel.

Anyway, I hope I can convince them at my next appointment.
I'd this problem too but the dealer fixed it by replacing the wheel bearing on the driver side (the side where the clicking sound came from). I start noticing this on the passenger side too, but the weird thing is it comes and goes. I think every time the car is up on the rack, the problem goes away for a while. I've tried it myself, I just lift the front of the car up on jack stands and check something under the car for an unrelated issue (bottoming out on my exhaust, was checking for damage) and it went away for a few weeks. that might be why your dealer wasn't able to reproduce it, because they probably put it up on their lift b4 testing it.
You could schedule an appointment with them and ask for a tech to test drive the car with you. Hope you don't have aftermarket suspension parts on your car, or they might blame it on that.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 07:14 AM   #55
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akak1997 View Post
I'd this problem too but the dealer fixed it by replacing the wheel bearing on the driver side (the side where the clicking sound came from). I start noticing this on the passenger side too, but the weird thing is it comes and goes. I think every time the car is up on the rack, the problem goes away for a while. I've tried it myself, I just lift the front of the car up on jack stands and check something under the car for an unrelated issue (bottoming out on my exhaust, was checking for damage) and it went away for a few weeks. that might be why your dealer wasn't able to reproduce it, because they probably put it up on their lift b4 testing it.
You could schedule an appointment with them and ask for a tech to test drive the car with you. Hope you don't have aftermarket suspension parts on your car, or they might blame it on that.
This is interesting. I had/have the clunking sound when backing out of a parking space or turning while going slow. I took it to the dealer and they did not find anything but the noise was gone after the dealer visit. Recently I have heard it a few times but not as much as before the dealer visit.
      08-31-2010, 10:28 PM   #56
bufo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Had the exact same problem. Dealer found one break piston under torqued and retorqued it. Noise gone.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #57
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

I just noticed this sound the first time myself today. It's not that loud; I only heard it because I had the window down, AC off, and music pretty low. I heard it a couple times on the way home, but it needs to be a pretty hard right turn to hear it. No sound on gentle bends.

My suspension is Eibachs, Koni Sports, and M3 front control arms and sway. Still running on the stock 264's and RFT's. It is definitely proportional to wheel speed. ~7800 miles.

I poked the brake backing plate through the wheel and it seems pretty solid; no play that I could detect. The wheel roundels are an interesting theory though; I'll have to remove them and check again...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #58
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
I've gotten used to so many noises / clicks and sounds in my car that it seems normal for me lol. It was there prior and after my suspension mods.

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #59
lahmers
Gigadee
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

I have that annoying sound too. I tweaked the dust shield and it made it worse. I'll try tightening it up and hopefully that will make it go away. Wheel bearing will be spendy out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #60
audimotion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i/12 F250 CC PS/06 ML500

I understand this is an OLD thread, but I have this issue as well. To me it is more of an abrasive metallicsound and feeling thru the steering wheel. Only happens/noticeable at slow speeps and turning right or left (parking lot speeds and maneuvers). Very annoying as the car is super smooth besides this sound and feeling. I'm going to schedule a dealer visit soon as the car is due for oil/brake flush etc...
Anyone else have this issue and a resolution, or ideas??
08 135i |Alpine White w/ Terra Boston Leather|Sport Pkg| Premium Pkg| Shadowline| Gloss Black Trim| Nav| Comfort Access| Active Steering| Steptronic| Htd Seats| Prem. Sound/Sirius| Park Distance| PPK 1|BMS 4LED|M3 Sway Bar
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #61
Govenator
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by audimotion View Post
I understand this is an OLD thread, but I have this issue as well. To me it is more of an abrasive metallicsound and feeling thru the steering wheel. Only happens/noticeable at slow speeps and turning right or left (parking lot speeds and maneuvers). Very annoying as the car is super smooth besides this sound and feeling. I'm going to schedule a dealer visit soon as the car is due for oil/brake flush etc...
Anyone else have this issue and a resolution, or ideas??
I just had a similar problem resolved by the dealer. Mine was only on the driver side. They were having trouble finding a cause, so they tried swapping the front wheels left to right to see if the noise would follow. As soon as they did, the problem went away. Their theory is that the driver side wheel was torqued down unevenly causing a click between the wheel and hub. Funny thing is it was very stable at high speed and only had the issue with low speed turns. Not sure if it will help you but it's an easy thing to try.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #62
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Ive been having this issue since I believe day one with my car. Its a bit annoying to me but as i don't think it is really affecting much i stopped paying attention to it. Maybe next time I take it to the dealer Ill ask and see what they can do. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #63
stovesax08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i, X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by akak1997 View Post
I think every time the car is up on the rack, the problem goes away for a while. I've tried it myself, I just lift the front of the car up on jack stands and check something under the car for an unrelated issue (bottoming out on my exhaust, was checking for damage) and it went away for a few weeks. that might be why your dealer wasn't able to reproduce it, because they probably put it up on their lift b4 testing it.
I've been having this issue for a while now and I think you're right. One dealer replaced the front brake rotors and it went away for almost 20k
      11-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #64
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

40K car and its doing WHAT!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 05:30 AM   #65
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
but in my instance, they moved wheels (front) to another 135 and it followed to that car.. go figure
      11-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #66
jameselee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Gray 135i

12k miles, BMW PS.

I had an intermittent sound that I'd describe more as a brushing/"ppffft, ppffft" sound coming from the front right. It didn't seem to coincide with turning, but definitely increased/decreased with the rotation of the wheel. It was very evident at low speed; it may have been happening at high speed too, but wasn't loud enough to be obvious. There was one time when it sounded like a really abrasive, metallic sound as audimotion describes. It didn't last very long, but was horrible; I chalked it up to a rock in between the brake pad & rotor, but don't know. I never want to hear that sound again though.

I lived with it for a while, thinking there was just something stuck somewhere that I couldn't see. The intermittent aspect of it made it a bit tough to demonstrate, and the tech & I couldn't hear it the first time I took it in. We tried driving in parking lots next to buildings, to hear it reflect off the walls. One day when it was particularly noticeable, I called & told them I was coming to show them.

It turned out to be a wheel bearing, which they replaced.

I'm pretty impressed with BMW service; they happened to notice that my front brake pads were low and replaced them. The only problem is, I never ever had brake dust, and it's as though my new pads are making up for the lack of it before. The tech asserts that the pads are the same as before, but can't explain why I never had a dust problem with the factory ones.

In any case, I'm glad I persisted in getting it looked at; I don't know much about how wheels are built, etc., but I don't imagine driving around with bad bearings is good.

Last edited by jameselee; 11-09-2011 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: add info
Appreciate 0