BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
N55 Catless DP CEL Fix

Quote:
I was hoping some of you could help clear up some confusion for me, I've been getting varied answers from searching google/forums and talking to people personally.

Is there a working DP CEL fix for N55? And is there one that'll completely remove the code so it's undetectable during emissions?

I was hoping to get a Cobb AP and have that fix everything, but I'm told there isn't a Stage 2 for N55 yet.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help.
Current discoveries for N55 Catless DP
  1. JB4 Auto Clear WILL NOT prep readiness for emissions
  2. Wrapping the O2 (for cat diagnostics) around the DP will make you throw a code for too much O2
  3. Companies have so far abandoned further production on a fix like the BMS one for N54 engines because the N55 DME isn't as easy to fool
  4. High flow cats still throw the SES
  5. Cobb AP Stage 2 will not prep readiness but will rid the SES light

TL;DR: there is no fix besides switching back to stock

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

2016 M3 | AWE Switchpath Diamond Black 102mm (SOLD)

Last edited by chrisko; 01-28-2013 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Nobody offers one. BMS was in development stages then bailed on it. Another guy was doing a one-man operation producing them but reviews came back saying it didn't work. We're SOL
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
That_1_Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Due to the splicing of a lot of wires needed, and basically having to go into the computers to change it, there will not be a DP fix offered.

If you don't do the Cobb, then the only option out there right now is to install a JB4 and either activate the Auto Clear Method, or just clear the codes yourself. Either of which will work in making the codes disappear for emissions.

I run Catless with JB4 on autoclear, and it works just fine for me.

Terry will tell you, there will not be a DP fix made, and if someone tries to sell you one.... don't do it.
Sold 2011 BMW 135i - COBB V2 AP / VMR 710's / 4" AR Catless DP / BMS Intake w/ Air Scoops / Eibach Pro Kit / MadDad Street Series Axle Back / ER Charge Pipe / BMS OCC / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Sammich Sticker
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_1_Guy View Post
Due to the splicing of a lot of wires needed, and basically having to go into the computers to change it, there will not be a DP fix offered.

If you don't do the Cobb, then the only option out there right now is to install a JB4 and either activate the Auto Clear Method, or just clear the codes yourself. Either of which will work in making the codes disappear for emissions.

I run Catless with JB4 on autoclear, and it works just fine for me.

Terry will tell you, there will not be a DP fix made, and if someone tries to sell you one.... don't do it.
Thanks for the great info. Am I right in assuming that either Cobb or JB4 will do the trick? Someone did say a Cobb AP would not work on N55 engines for catless DP CEL; or, is JB4 the only way? I understand JB4 autoclear will clear it so it never is a nuisance again; but if Cobb can fix this, do you have to plug it in every time the CEL comes on or is it permanently off?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisko View Post
Thanks for the great info. Am I right in assuming that either Cobb or JB4 will do the trick? Someone did say a Cobb AP would not work on N55 engines for catless DP CEL; or, is JB4 the only way? I understand JB4 autoclear will clear it so it never is a nuisance again; but if Cobb can fix this, do you have to plug it in every time the CEL comes on or is it permanently off?

Thanks again, much appreciated.
He is only half right. Since it is running an auto-clear, your car will never generate Readiness and they will tell you to drive around or they will drive it around until it is ready. (It will never be because each time you autoclear you start a new cycle.) AFAIK from what I have read around here a Cobb unit will not help pass an OBDII emissions test(even for me on the N54 platform).
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 01:50 AM   #6
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
He is only half right. Since it is running an auto-clear, your car will never generate Readiness and they will tell you to drive around or they will drive it around until it is ready. (It will never be because each time you autoclear you start a new cycle.) AFAIK from what I have read around here a Cobb unit will not help pass an OBDII emissions test(even for me on the N54 platform).
The "generate rediness" part kind of confuses me, it makes it sound inconvenient? Damn, I'm starting to think I bought a catless DP for no reason haha. I emailed cobb to ask about it as well, I guess I won't hear back until the business week starts.

This is stressing me out

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisko
Quote:
The "generate rediness" part kind of confuses me, it makes it sound inconvenient? Damn, I'm starting to think I bought a catless DP for no reason haha. I emailed cobb to ask about it as well, I guess I won't hear back until the business week starts.

This is stressing me out
read this post, its for a different car but the same idea: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/993-forum/519844-experiment-w-obdii-readiness-indicators-long.html
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
read this post, its for a different car but the same idea: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tors-long.html
Thanks for that, I think I understand it now

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisko View Post
Thanks for that, I think I understand it now
no prob!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Quick question (or 2, or 3), I have an 08, with JB4, on auto clear I get no codes, once I switch off I get the code, (I have aftermarket catted DP's, that still throw the code). My question is if I clear the code before my OBD2 emissions test, and set the JB4 back to stock the 0 0 setting (so the inspection station can access the ECU), does the autoclear erase total memory of all driving history, or just the code. I don't want to go in have it inspected and have them tell me there is nothing stored in the ECU, and to go drive it a while an come back after the ECU logs data.

If everything gets erased I suspect the Buerger MS dp fix might be the way to go, and can it be installed in the pin out JB4 version, I have directions for the Pnp versions but not for pin out. TIA, Fran Need to fix this soon been running on a rejection sticker for way to long.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1351 View Post
Quick question (or 2, or 3), I have an 08, with JB4, on auto clear I get no codes, once I switch off I get the code, (I have aftermarket catted DP's, that still throw the code). My question is if I clear the code before my OBD2 emissions test, and set the JB4 back to stock the 0 0 setting (so the inspection station can access the ECU), does the autoclear erase total memory of all driving history, or just the code. I don't want to go in have it inspected and have them tell me there is nothing stored in the ECU, and to go drive it a while an come back after the ECU logs data.

If everything gets erased I suspect the Buerger MS dp fix might be the way to go, and can it be installed in the pin out JB4 version, I have directions for the Pnp versions but not for pin out. TIA, Fran Need to fix this soon been running on a rejection sticker for way to long.
Not 100% sure but i know the BMS DP fix works for sure. I have been told the JB4 with autoclear doesn't prepare readiness; however, I've also been told if you clear it RIGHT before you go to the emissions (Maybe even while you're waiting there) and turn autoclear off, it should pass.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
TT1351
Captain
Rep

Thanks, can't hurt to try, any other thoughts out there. Thanks Chrisko
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport

This is what I have done with other cars. You take the O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream and plug the hole in the exhaust. Then you safety wire the O2 sensor to the side of the exhaust pipe. The O2 sensor will read the clean air outside the car but still gets hot because it is next to the exhaust. It only takes some time and is free. I have done it on a few cars and it never throws a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMike View Post
This is what I have done with other cars. You take the O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream and plug the hole in the exhaust. Then you safety wire the O2 sensor to the side of the exhaust pipe. The O2 sensor will read the clean air outside the car but still gets hot because it is next to the exhaust. It only takes some time and is free. I have done it on a few cars and it never throws a CEL.
Clever idea! Any tricks to securing it on the exhaust so it doesn't clank against anything or swivel around?

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Safety wire. Its a metal like bailiing wire that you can use special safety wire pliers on (look them up) but basically get some metal wire and twist it a bunch, kind of like you would with a twitie-tie for bread or something. Mine have never made noise. Let us know if this works, Im not sure how sensitive the BMW ECU is.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMike View Post
Safety wire. Its a metal like bailiing wire that you can use special safety wire pliers on (look them up) but basically get some metal wire and twist it a bunch, kind of like you would with a twitie-tie for bread or something. Mine have never made noise. Let us know if this works, Im not sure how sensitive the BMW ECU is.
Thanks for the tip! Not sure if I'll do it anytime soon as I just had my DP installed.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #17
TT1351
Captain
Rep

Cool idea, takes thinking outside the box to a new level. One question is, does this mod affect drive-ability, or is are the sensors there to just ensure the cats are performing up to par, with nothing to do with fuel management? Fran
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #18
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Generally i was under the belief that o2 sensors also help the motor determine proper a/f mixture. help keep the car from going to lean or to rich...If they weren't needed we could just unplug them and keep going...
      01-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #19
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Generally i was under the belief that o2 sensors also help the motor determine proper a/f mixture. help keep the car from going to lean or to rich...If they weren't needed we could just unplug them and keep going...
Well, there are 2 sensors on the DP. O2 and Cat sensor, I think if we remove the cat one it should be fine. Catalytic sensor is just there to ensure the cat is doing its job. According to the guy who helped me with the install.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Yes I know there are two sensors..and it uses both to ensure the proper a/f ratios are being achieved so something. I would think that if just pulling the 2nd one out and tying it to the cat and plugging the hole were actually a good idea and didn't cause problems. That solution would have been way more wide spread as a solutions to going catless.
      01-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #21
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

On MOST cars ( I say most because I have not been inside the ECU of the BMW yet) the 2nd O2 sensor after the cat is only there to make sure the cat is doing its job. The 1st O2 sensor ensures the A/F ratio is correct. The exhaust after the cat will be different than before, thats why with a wideband O2 you want it before the cat. IF doing this does cause an issue, it will throw a CEL within a couple hundered miles and is easily reversible. I have done this on cars from 1995-2005 without any CEL or running issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #22
NORAGRETS
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
Correct me if I'm wrong guys...but doesn't the BMS Can Tool do the same thing as a DP fix? It says available for N55...clear and delete codes etc.

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 0