BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
samuribass
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

New to the forum 2010 128i

Hi,
I am new to the forum. I picked up a 2010 128i on Friday. It is used, but just over 6K miles. it is jet black with taupe interior. I will hopefully post picks soon.

I managed to wash it today and noticed the hood has a ton of water spots that look like crap. I am new to detailing and have been scanning the forum for the best way to take of it without an electric sander (I am currently in Italy and not sure if an orbital sander would work properly with a 220 transformer). I look forward to learning a lot about the one series.

Thanks,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Barry45RPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 MB E550, 2010 128i Conv

No NO NO! No sander !! Have someone who knows what they are doing Clay the car & wax it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM View Post
No NO NO! No sander !! Have someone who knows what they are doing Clay the car & wax it.
I would agree! If there's any protection left at all on the paint, you might be able to get rid of the water spots with either Adam's Waterless Wash or Optimum NoRinse (NOR) using a waffle-weave microfiber drying towel. Both work well for me to remove water spots, however, I had my car professionally detailed only about 6 weeks ago.

Best to get it professionally detailed, if you're not sure what you're doing, IMO. Best value for money I ever spent!

pge
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

Since I believe in starting with the least aggressive procedure when working on correcting any car's finish, then yes, I would wash and clay first.

Then, take a good, close look at the car, preferrably in direct sunlight. If you see the water spots (and I wouldn't be surprised if you do), then it will be time to polish out the imperfections.

I use a random-orbital polisher, one that was actually originally developed as a sander, with polish, and foam pads, to polish out defects.

Actually, you are not polishing out defects, but rather "levelling" the finish of the paint to the depth that the imperfections do not show, or do not show as much.

Typically, a random-orbital polisher is less aggressive than a rotary, often used by professional detailers and body shops. IMHO, rotaries aren't for rookies, though they can achieve spectacular results.

If you are not familiar with machine-polishing, it might be best to have a good detailer work on it, until you pick up on the learning curve (it's not that hard).

For detailing help, Autopia.org is a great place to look.

Beware! Jet Black seems to be prone to picking up etching from water spots, swirl marks, etc. It looks insane when finished out well, but can prove to be a handful of work.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your 128! Mine is a fun car to drive everyday. Enough power to be entertaining (I have no use for a 135 with a tune where I live), and a very nice handling car. A nice car to take out for a drive, and enjoy the moment.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
samuribass
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am currently in Italy and that makes it a little harder to find a "pro" to do the detail. Even if I could, the euro/dollar rate might make it very expensive.

This is all pretty new to me. I have been reading a lot and watching some you tube videos. I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I will probably order some no-rinse and micro-weave towels and try that first. Thank you for the suggestion about autopia.org. I am scouring that site.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Check in with the e90post detailing forum:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

It's devoted to this exact topic and contains a lot of good information.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
Man, that sounds like a nice car, I love my 2010 128i. The Jet Black marks up really easily, but that should all come out with a thorough paint cleaning and a good wax job!
Appreciate 0