BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #23
emm3tt
Out Driving
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Kind of agree, but there are a bunch of CSL styles that almost fit, but have tire limitations (rubbing or severely limiting tire width) . These ones are taking into account the entire wheel tub. That makes them totally unique. Nobody is doing offsets like this, especially in a lightweight wheel. You'll be getting much more rubber, and probably losing 10lbs a corner of unsprung weight, by replacing the 29lb stocker wheels.

Also, it's not a curving spoke design, like every other CSL rep out there. The mounting plate is recessing in a cup-like design. It definitely reminds me of the Kosei K1's mounting plate area, where the spokes attach from the tire bead lip area to the rim of a cup, and the bottom of the cup is the mounting plate.

It's pretty much a direct copy of the BBS RC. The factory CSL wheel is in fact a variant of the BBS RC wheel as well. I used to have RCs on my E36 M3, one of my favorite wheels ever.

01 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #24
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

can't wait to see pics of the actual e82 fitment! has the demand been sorted out? is there a lock on actual production?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #25
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
can't wait to see pics of the actual e82 fitment! has the demand been sorted out? is there a lock on actual production?
These are being produced, but if you guys want any say in the colors or a discount on the price, then the minimum number of people are needed. there is time for that to happen, and that can be found in the thread located in the commercial section.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #26
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm3tt View Post
It's pretty much a direct copy of the BBS RC. The factory CSL wheel is in fact a variant of the BBS RC wheel as well. I used to have RCs on my E36 M3, one of my favorite wheels ever.

Yeah, they are pretty much identical, minus the center cap. I love those wheels too. Very "BMW-ish".

I think I've seen quite a few VW Jettas with BBS RCs on them too - with the center car. I wonder if they were delivered like that for a few years? Maybe it's just a common aftermarket wheel for those cars.

I prefer it without the center cap, myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #27
SpeedballTrix
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT SBM/CBL; 2022 X5

Man Im SOOOO torn on these.
I really want a gunmetal rather than an anthracite.
I know it's close, but I just can't get over the difference.

Maybe more pictures would help sway me =P
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #28
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedballTrix View Post

That IS gun metallic. The factory calls it that, but we're calling it Anthracite. Their poor pics are not a good benchmark as stated above the photo.

AND, nothing is set in stone. That is a 4x100 17x8" wheel. It's an unrelated project. If a group of people who pre-order all want the same color then anything can happen. You guys can have hot pink. it doesn't matter. There's just a minimum that has to be meet to do different colors. It's that easy
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #29
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Post pics of a wheel in the color you are thinking of. I'll probably be okay with it, and Berk may as well, and we'll be good to go. Anthracite and gunmetal are the same in my head. Trying to get a feel for what difference from the above posted picture you're talking about.

Here's hoping "gunmetal '= pink" in Speedball's book.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #30
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Anthracite will technically have a tint of blue in it, here's where it comes from, blue coal.

All of the colors Apex is offering would look good on any color car. And there is nothing wrong with hot pink.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #31
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

I don't remembe seeing any blue flake in it. We'll see when it shows up.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #32
trboboost91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
you CAN NOT have a concave wheel on a 1 series if it's produced at the proper offset in a wide wheel design. and these wheels DO have concavity to them. of about 1-1.5". You will never see the same concavity that you do on an 18x10" M3 wheel with a Low offset. Look at the drawings above, and you will see there is no place for the spokes to go. The spokes are straight but very much NOT flat. The narrower CSL wheels are actually CONVEX at first, and then bow in around the hub area.

These ARC-8 wheels are 18". The 18" wheels that come stock with the 1 series are extremely heavy. I'm not sure what you're basing your road friction figures off of. These ARC-8 wheels are significantly lighter then stock. It can be measured in either improved full efficiency, greater acceleration, or shorter braking times depending on how you drive. You need less HP to turn a lighter wheel. This is why people buy lighter wheels. If your car weights less, it takes more HP for it to accelerate. Removing unsprung weight (wheels/tires/brakes) effects the car 6-10 times more then chassis weight.

I believe you are under the assumption that your stock wheel/tire package is lighter then what these wheels with tires would be. Which is incorrect. Even if you have 17" wheels/tire. These are still lighter, and would be a weight saving improvement.

The wheels already exist in a 17x9" et42 design. And 17x8.5" et40 are on the way. It's aggressive but a few people are running that 9" setup on the 1 series for autocross and track applications.

where can i buy the 17x9 et 42 and 17x8.5 et 40?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #33
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trboboost91 View Post
where can i buy the 17x9 et 42 and 17x8.5 et 40?
I'll PM you about this shortly.

for now here are some anthracite pics of a 17" 4 lug wheel. obviously this is only a color reference.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #34
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Should have news on the 18's in the near future
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #35
jmunro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

updated pricing info?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 01:11 AM   #36
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunro View Post
updated pricing info?
that's in the commercial section thread
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #37
kc_skyrider
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
This is also incorrect. The contact patch size that makes physical contact with the ground of a 205 width tire is the exact same as a 335. The shape is mearly different, and effects cornering forces. There is ZERO difference in road friction besides aerodynamic drag. You can look this up. There is absolutely no comparison of wide automotive wheels/tire to two very different types of bicycle tires with two very different types of tread shapes. It's funny you bring them up though because the off road tire/wheel is extremely heavy, which has a HUGE factor on how easily it spins. Not to mention the tires pressures are different which is the only factor besides a vehicle weight increase that can change the contact patch size.

Please DO NOT turn this thread into a discussion of wide vs. narrow wheels. Nobody looking for these wheels will agree with the concept of a narrower wheel providing any benefit besides less aerodynamic drag.

This is a technical thread about a specific set of wheels that people have wanted for track/racing reasons for a year now. All of the information you've brought up in this thread has been incorrect. And it is very clear you do not know what you are talking about. This is entirely the wrong place to get educated on this subject. If you would like to start another thread in the general section bringing up these questions, I would be more then happy discuss the topic there.

I found this link which should provide you with all the information you'd need on the subject http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html contact patch size is discussed half way down.
I know I'm new to this forum but I do have to humbly disagree. I don't want to sound uneducated so I will share my background. I am a loadmaster in the airforce and have worked on both C-17 and C-130 aircraft. This is important because we commonly load vehicles into these planes and the floors of the planes have a PSI limitation that some vehicles exceed. We determine this by a formula dividing the weight of the axle by the contact patch of the tires. This Patch depends on PSI Diameter AND width. A tire 12in wide obviously has double the contact as a 6in wide tire. Which only allows more traction due to an increase in rolling friction. Though the difference in tire sizes you are discussing will likely not be noticable in terms of MPG
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #38
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_skyrider View Post
A tire 12in wide obviously has double the contact as a 6in wide tire.
With the same payload and PSI, a 6" wide tire has exactly the same contact patch as a 12" wide tire. You are talking about displacement. If the 6" tire's contact patch with have a contact patch of 6" x 2", the 12" tire will have a 12" x 1" contact patch.

The difference on a car is wider contact patch has more lateral stability.. so it handles better in the twisties.

So, on your aircraft, you say the contact patch is dependent on the PSI and Width.. You're forgetting about payload in that calculation, which also pertains.

We're all running close enough PSI to call it a wash. So the contact patch is the same size, just shaped differently, depending on the width of the tire.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #39
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_skyrider View Post
I know I'm new to this forum but I do have to humbly disagree. I don't want to sound uneducated so I will share my background. I am a loadmaster in the airforce and have worked on both C-17 and C-130 aircraft. This is important because we commonly load vehicles into these planes and the floors of the planes have a PSI limitation that some vehicles exceed. We determine this by a formula dividing the weight of the axle by the contact patch of the tires. This Patch depends on PSI Diameter AND width. A tire 12in wide obviously has double the contact as a 6in wide tire. Which only allows more traction due to an increase in rolling friction. Though the difference in tire sizes you are discussing will likely not be noticable in terms of MPG
Let me clear this up again.

1. there is ZERO contact patch size difference between ANY tire combination that can be run on the 1 series unless you uselessly run them under inflated. Please read up on this. This is an indisputable fact. You're talking about three variables. vehicle weight and psi are the only to factors that change contact patch area.

A 12" wide tire obviously has a contact patch double the length of a 6" wide tire, BUT half the width, thus equaling the same area. If one vehicle weights more then another vehicle or the tire psi is different THEN and only THEN will a rubber tire have more physical contact with the ground.

Here is one of the many sites that discusses the physics of this subject.
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html

We're done with this topic as it is 100% unrelated to the production of light weight high offset wheels. If you want to talk about it more, please start a new thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #40
SpeedballTrix
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT SBM/CBL; 2022 X5

Hmmm...

We could have hot pink, you say?

Nah i'm just kidding =P
Idk I feel like the rims pictured above are lighter than what I'm looking for.
I was asked to post a picture of what I wanted: I googled "Gunmetal Wheels" and the first link I came up with was this.

Maybe the difference I'm perceiving is caused only by lighting in the shots?

Honestly If I could pick any color I wanted I would really prefer a matte black like the VMR CSL reps come in, as pictured here.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #41
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Take any tire and mount that on a wider wheel = BETTER TRACTION. Period.

With the proper offset wheel that Apex is offering, we can run a 9.5" in the rear.

Wider tire
Wider wheel
Better traction
No rubbing
No fender rolling
Better selection in tire brands

That's a win, win, win, win, win, win situation!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #42
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm...

We could have hot pink, you say?

Nah i'm just kidding =P
Idk I feel like the rims pictured above are lighter than what I'm looking for.
I was asked to post a picture of what I wanted: I googled "Gunmetal Wheels" and the first link I came up with was this.

Maybe the difference I'm perceiving is caused only by lighting in the shots?

Honestly If I could pick any color I wanted I would really prefer a matte black like the VMR CSL reps come in, as pictured here.
The gun metal you posted is a matte finish. With a clear coat it looks more like the one below.

Matte black is a currently listed and available color.

see photo below

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #43
WhiteSled
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

so how do we get in on this early special groub buy to help make the wheels. Money in hand, intrested.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #44
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSled View Post
so how do we get in on this early special groub buy to help make the wheels. Money in hand, intrested.
As we say in Boston, those pahts ah ovah heeyah.
Appreciate 0