BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

1M US Allocations will start on Feb 16th. No ED allocation.

Just got off the phone with my CA. The sales manager says US Allocations will start on Feb 16th.

Another Big disapointment is now BMW says ED's will come out of Dealer Stock (can't be reserved by european delivery department) further reducing the chance of securing an ED discount.

CA also said BMW is again calling the production very limited, very hard to get. He is hoping to get more than just one car.

He says more to come next Wednesday the 16th when allocations start up.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
fueledbymetal
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 6spd, Cayman GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
Just got off the phone with my CA. The sales manager says US Allocations will start on Feb 16th.

Another Big disapointment is now BMW says ED's will come out of Dealer Stock (can't be reserved by european delivery department) further reducing the chance of securing an ED discount.

I have a deposit down for an agreed upon $1k over ED invoice. If the car is coming out of dealer allocation, would he get the same profit selling to me at $1k over US invoice? The reason why I ask is that I'm first on my dealer's list, but due to work & personal commitments this spring/summer is turning out not to be a good time for me to travel to Europe. I would if needed though because I don't want to miss out on the car and I think I'm getting a good deal.
      02-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post
I have a deposit down for an agreed upon $1k over ED invoice. If the car is coming out of dealer allocation, would he get the same profit selling to me at $1k over US invoice? The reason why I ask is that I'm first on my dealer's list, but due to work & personal commitments this spring/summer is turning out not to be a good time for me to travel to Europe. I would if needed though because I don't want to miss out on the car and I think I'm getting a good deal.
What the Dealer Allocation for ED means is this. Unless the dealer is willing to essentially loose the price difference between MSRP and the %7 ~$3200 ED discount they won't offer the car up for an ED discount. Of course you can still pay MSRP and pick up the car in Munich, but you won't have any discount to help with the cost of the trip.

If you have a deposit on the price of ED + $1000 you will need to wait and see if your dealer will continue to offer this to you.

As far as timing for yourself I have heard of ED'ers flying to Munich, pick up the car drop it off and flying home. Again this only works if you can get the ED discount.
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
elitt13
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: 1///M Coupe & ///M2 CS DKG

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M coupé  [10.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
good luck for the 16th !!!
      02-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Quote:

CA also said BMW is again calling the production very limited, very hard to get. He is hoping to get more than just one car.

He says more to come next Wednesday the 16th when allocations start up.
I just heard similar info, so I can concur. Also very dissapointed that ED will come out of dealer allocation. Essentially, there will likely be very little/no discount (as Redadair states in post above).

Bogus! "You vant drive in Germany? You vill pay!"
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
neech
Private
Rep
Drives: "11 M3

Also got the message about allocations on the 16th from my buddy at the dealer from whom I'm buying the car. Hopefully will get an allocation... seeing as how I'm the first and only on the deposit list for the 1m at a fairly large volume dealer (only a few in the state).. Living in a smaller city does occasionally have it's advantages
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
What the Dealer Allocation for ED means is this. Unless the dealer is willing to essentially loose the price difference between MSRP and the %7 ~$3200 ED discount they won't offer the car up for an ED discount. Of course you can still pay MSRP and pick up the car in Munich, but you won't have any discount to help with the cost of the trip.

If you have a deposit on the price of ED + $1000 you will need to wait and see if your dealer will continue to offer this to you.

As far as timing for yourself I have heard of ED'ers flying to Munich, pick up the car drop it off and flying home. Again this only works if you can get the ED discount.
Are you refering to the ED MSRP or US MSRP? Because if you are refering to the US MSRP then you would be nuts to buy the car. The discount is given to BMW NA from the German gov't. The dealer is essinetely credited this from BMW NA. But between ED MSRP and ED Invoice is all dealer profit and depends on whether or not the dealer would give you a discount. This is usually 7%, sometimes up to 9% with options, as I am sure you already know. As a note my CA told me that they would be charging ED MSRP because "dealers in Cali and out west were charging $5 - 10k + above US MSRP for this car, but we have never sold a car for more than MSRP here," lol. When I talked to the Sales Manager about this back in December he said there was no chance for me to get $1-1.5k over ED Invoice. I am going to ask for at least $1k off ED MSRP. I think the ED Invoice and ED MSRP difference will be about $3.2k give or take a few hundred.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post
Bogus! "You vant drive in Germany? You vill pay!"
+1 They really got you by the balls on this one.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
Are you refering to the ED MSRP or US MSRP? Because if you are refering to the US MSRP then you would be nuts to buy the car. The discount is given to BMW NA from the German gov't. The dealer is essinetely credited this from BMW NA. But between ED MSRP and ED Invoice is all dealer profit and depends on whether or not the dealer would give you a discount. This is usually 7%, sometimes up to 9% with options, as I am sure you already know. As a note my CA told me that they would be charging ED MSRP because "dealers in Cali and out west were charging $5 - 10k + above US MSRP for this car, but we have never sold a car for more than MSRP here," lol. When I talked to the Sales Manager about this back in December he said there was no chance for me to get $1-1.5k over ED Invoice. I am going to ask for at least $1k off ED MSRP. I think the ED Invoice and ED MSRP difference will be about $3.2k give or take a few hundred.

Sorry but the German Government doesn't have anything to do with an Auto Manufactures offering a European Delivery plan. VW and Audi do not offer the plan at all, Porsche charges $1200 extra to pick the car up in Germany. BMW and others do it Only to attract customers and try for repeat buyers at their own expense.

Cars that are allocated to dealers are cars that the dealer has to offer to customers in the US at there dealership. Standard Production ED allocated cars do not come out of dealer stock and you essentially deal directly (in a sense) with BMW Germany. The dealer only acts as a transaction point and final delivery point. This is why you must pay BMW in advance for the car prior to leaving on your ED.

BMW discounts these ED cars themselves without any money incentive or money exchange with the local dealer. Even the Window Sticker for an ED car will only show the ED price of the car this price is with the %7 discount not the Retail price of the car.

This is why the dealer is in total control of whether or not they will offer an ED out of their own allocations, more often than not they won't.

As far as the two MSRP prices I think you may find that the price the dealer quoted you isn't the Dealer's cost of the car which is totally different than the ED price or retail MSRP. As rare as these 1M's may end up being it will be extremely unlikely that any dealer will accept less than MSRP for the 1M from their own Allocation period. And I highly doubt that even if BMW changes it's mind and offers non dealer allocated ED you will be able to make a better deal than the %7 off of Full Retail price less Options which aren't included in the discount.
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Sorry but the German Government doesn't have anything to do with an Auto Manufactures offering a European Delivery plan. VW and Audi do not offer the plan at all, Porsche charges $1200 extra to pick the car up in Germany. BMW and others do it Only to attract customers and try for repeat buyers at their own expense.
Are you kidding?

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/e..._delivery.html

And they offer a percentage discount also
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
Are you kidding?

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/e..._delivery.html

And they offer a percentage discount also
You are right. This is a fairly new plan for Audi. They do offer a %3 to %5 discount depending on which model you purchase. Volvo still offers one of the best ED plans out there.
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
jdmorris
Rep
Drives: 1999 M3

Thanks for that link, carchrism5. From Audi:

Quote:
The following models are available through the European Delivery Program less the suggested published MSRP discount. The final selling price is determined by the dealer.

Audi A3/A3 TDI Models up to 3%
Audi A4/A4 Avant Models up to 5%
Audi A5 Coupe and Cabriolet Models up to 5%
Audi A6 Models up to 5%
Audi A7 Models up to 5%
Audi A8/A8L Models up to 5%
Audi Q5 Models up to 5%
Audi Q7/Q7 TDI Models up to 5%
Audi TT / TTS Coupes and Roadster Models up to 5%
Audi S4/S5/S6 Models up to 5%
Quote:
...included in the price of the European Delivery Program:
* Audi is pleased to offer a one room, one night, complimentary hotel accommodation for you and a guest at a choice of three Audi recommended hotels
* Complimentary 15-day Insurance Coverage, Export License Plates, Vehicle Registration*
* A scheduled guided tour of our factory and a visit to the Mobile museum are available
* Complimentary meals and non-alcoholic beverages at the Customer Center Market Restaurant on your delivery day
* Ground transportation of your vehicle from any of the 14 established European drop off points
* Drop off location fees
* Storage and terminal handling fees
* Ocean freight and marine insurance
* Customs duty and clearance
JD
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #13
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

Here's what I don't understand:

Why can't dealer allocated ED cars still come with discounted pricing? Shouldn't BMW be able to say if the customer wants to do ED through a dealer, the MSRP and invoice are both lowered?

This makes both the customer and dealer satisfied. The customer gets the normal ED discount and the dealer still has a comparable profit between invoice and MSRP (all the numbers are just shifted down ~7%).

How many people would still do ED if they get no incentive to offset the cost of the trip?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue View Post
Here's what I don't understand:

Why can't dealer allocated ED cars still come with discounted pricing? Shouldn't BMW be able to say if the customer wants to do ED through a dealer, the MSRP and invoice are both lowered?

This makes both the customer and dealer satisfied. The customer gets the normal ED discount and the dealer still has a comparable profit between invoice and MSRP (all the numbers are just shifted down ~7%).

How many people would still do ED if they get no incentive to offset the cost of the trip?
It's because the dealer will loose the %7 profit. With the 1M being so hard to get the dealers won't sell one for less money just because you want to save money on an ED. They will just sell it to the next person in line that will pay MSRP.
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #15
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

Quote:
It's because the dealer will loose the %7 profit.
But not if their cost also goes down by 7%. I guess that is my real question. Shouldn't a dealer allocated ED car still get ED invoice pricing so the discount from MSRP makes a negligible effect on the overall profit margin for the dealer?

Instead of $47k MSRP with ~$43k invoice, they are working with ~$44k ED MSRP with ~$40k ED invoice. The dealer makes the same on either deal. I just get to go to Germany with 3-4k left in my pocket like any standard ED purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #16
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But not if their cost also goes down by 7%. I guess that is my real question. Shouldn't a dealer allocated ED car still get ED invoice pricing so the discount from MSRP makes a negligible effect on the overall profit margin for the dealer?

Instead of $47k MSRP with ~$43k invoice, they are working with ~$44k ED MSRP with ~$40k ED invoice. The dealer makes the same on either deal. I just get to go to Germany with 3-4k left in my pocket like any standard ED purchase.
Sorry it just doesn't work that way at all. BMW charges the dealer a LIST price for each car in the dealer's allocation, there are no other prices for the dealers cars other than List and MSRP, unless you can talk them down from MSRP.

There is no different ED List price that the dealer pays. The ED price is only for the customer and it is %7 off the BASE or MSRP price. Options aren't included in the discount either.
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #17
EA51 LAY
Ex-Blighty
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 MINI JCW, AW 1M Enroute

Quote:
Us Canadian residence have no choice! I guess we still do it because of the awesome speed limitless roads, twisty mountain passes and to hell with the fact their aint no invoice related ED Discount. This is the 'right' car to exploit all of the above and for the sake of a few thousand off list i'd take the experience of this 'M' set up rocketship over not - mind you I would say that, the thing gets confiscated off you here in Ontario at anything over 93mph........................gotta get my money's worth

Should have a healthy engine output too being run in on decent fuel and exhaustive roads
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #18
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

$1000 over invoice on a limited production car in high demand. Sounds too good to be true.
      02-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #19
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Truly surprised by the wild availability and discount speculations on this forum. So what if you don't get your production date allocated in March, now you'll get it in April or May or any of the remaining 2011 months. The hard core target group of this forum has only ~1 month of the US allocation covered. If you put in your deposit in the next couple of months, how could it be possible that you're not getting your car, honestly?

My counter speculation: Mid year the US 1M order book will start to go very short. All of a sudden ED is announced to be outside dealer allocations and discounts galore. And for the bargain hunters ...

Bob's your uncle.

All these speculations are just causing loads of needless stress!

Relax!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #20
Blackfield
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Truly surprised by the wild availability and discount speculations on this forum. So what if you don't get your production date allocated in March, now you'll get it in April or May or any of the remaining 2011 months. The hard core target group of this forum has only ~1 month of the US allocation covered. If you put in your deposit in the next couple of months, how could it be possible that you're not getting your car, honestly?

My counter speculation: Mid year the US 1M order book will start to go very short. All of a sudden ED is announced to be outside dealer allocations and discounts galore. And for the bargain hunters ...

Bob's your uncle.

All these speculations are just causing loads of needless stress!

Relax!
+10^6
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #21
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

ED allocation coming out of dealers allocation and ED discount are 2 different things. A discount can be offered regardless of which allocation it comes out of.

I dont see information here that says there is no ED discount, I just see info that the ED car comes out of their allocation.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 01:47 AM   #22
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

The lack of ED allotment isn't really that big of a deal nor should it be a surprise.

As far as I know, M cars never have an ED discount or separate ED allotment. You can still do ED, you just have to pay what you would have paid stateside.

And FWIW, my early '08 135i came out of the dealer's allotment when I did May ED. History is just repeating itself.
Appreciate 0