BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #23
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

And re product recall, BMW will be extra cautious: the press reported earlier this week that BMWNA will pay a $3 million fine to settle US government allegations that it failed to promptly notify auto regulators about safety defects and recalls. "While BMW denies that it violated federal law, it agreed to make internal changes to its recall decision-making process in order to «ensure timely reporting to consumers and the federal government in the future.»"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...j4Q_story.html
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...g-defects.html
http://business.inquirer.net/44115/b...-recall-issues
http://gulfnews.com/business/automot...-fine-1.979223
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #24
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Since I am among the minority who drive this car in summer temperatures nowadays, I have to say I noticed this in my car as well two times, it was not untolerable but was annoying anyway. In both cases, I was after a relatively longer or engaging driving and the exhaust was probably quite hot. The exterior temps were not really hot though, less than 30 Celsius, closer to 25. My concern is this can be a serious problem when the car is driven under really hot temperatures and for a long voyage or so. I hope they will find a simple fix to this and make a recall sometime soon.
Before the peel-and-stick solution you almost were not able to drive in weather warmer than 25-c
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #25
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
Before the peel-and-stick solution you almost were not able to drive in weather warmer than 25-c
Today first time I took the 1M with my family (me, my wife, 2 kids; 1 and 3 years old at the back in their baby seats, a big stroller in the trunk and various bags and so) to a day off to and back 100 km. away from Santiago, the weather was hot, around 31 Celsius, even when we were having lunch the car was parked under the sun and got very hot indeed and the heat thing did not happen at all, to my surprise. Of course I was driving smoother and slower (never passed 160km., usually around 120 on the highway, high gears). The other times it happened I was pushing the car more on a mountain road up to first row of Andes, 2nd and 3rd gears almost all the time and the heat came just after I started slowing down on the way back home fom the mountain.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #26
dgriffis
Rep
Drives: 2012 128

Didn't have time to stop at the dealer yet but I have some information. As soon as you activate the fan, regardless of if you're using the AC or other options, you start to get excessive heat on your right foot. This heat will warm your car even it it's cold outside. The best solution is to drive with your windows open. Totally ridiculous for a 40 grand car. So cooling your car with air from the outside is almost impossible because of the heat issue. You're forced to run your AC with hot feet. What a joke. Probably will require insulation or other solutions. My car is only 3 mos old or so. Hope this is the only issue.

ps. Another defect. Temperature gauge is 5-10% warmer than the actual temperature.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #27
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgriffis View Post
Didn't have time to stop at the dealer yet but I have some information. As soon as you activate the fan, regardless of if you're using the AC or other options, you start to get excessive heat on your right foot. This heat will warm your car even it it's cold outside. The best solution is to drive with your windows open. Totally ridiculous for a 40 grand car. So cooling your car with air from the outside is almost impossible because of the heat issue. You're forced to run your AC with hot feet. What a joke. Probably will require insulation or other solutions. My car is only 3 mos old or so. Hope this is the only issue.

ps. Another defect. Temperature gauge is 5-10% warmer than the actual temperature.
See my previous posts to this tread, BMW has improved my situation. Your "turning on the fan" is consistent with my issue as any airflow through the heaterbox pulls/ draws hot air from the uninsulated pipe into the cabin.

Last edited by rapter; 02-14-2012 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #28
dgriffis
Rep

I went to the dealer and had them look at the problem

Quote:
I'm having the same issue. Noticeable heat on the right side of the driver below the console. My car is three months old and less than 10,000 miles. If I turn off the fan it appears to go away. I'm thinking it has something to do with the heating and the vents. I don't think it's rocket science to have a dealer or have a mechanic identify where the heat is coming from. I will ask my dealer when I drive by in a day or so. I'm very surprised that nobody has found out what's going on.
The heating is definately an eye browse raiser but the other problem is that hot air comes out the bottom vent unless you have set the ac or auto climate to 70 degrees or less. If you're planning on cooling your car at 72 you will have hot air blowing on your feet in addition to the heat problem radiating from the plastic on the right in the foot well. A computer setting on the BMW might change this since the car must be designed for cold climates even though my Saab is made in a cold country and didn't have any of the problems and even had a way to turn off the heating element from the dash. I suspect BMW is going to make this change in addition to some insulation because this is ridiculous. I saw a documentary where a BMW representative said that their only problem is that they pay too much attention to detail and get caught in this loop. Well before they start praising themself I suggest they proactively fix this issue or people like myself who live in Florida will stop buying them. The mechanic looked at another 128 which has the same problem so this is widespread and would be expensive for BMW to come out in the open about it. Incedently the authorized mechanic that looked at my car looked at a 328 which is almost similar and said that the cool air only kicked in the low 60's which is even worse but I don't know if it has the insulation problem too. I will try to contact someone in BMW but it's almost impossible on the website as they channel you through the dealer service so it's really hard.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #29
Juiced1M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
crank up the AC
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #30
dgriffis
Rep

Quote:
I'm having the same issue. Noticeable heat on the right side of the driver below the console. My car is three months old and less than 10,000 miles. If I turn off the fan it appears to go away. I'm thinking it has something to do with the heating and the vents. I don't think it's rocket science to have a dealer or have a mechanic identify where the heat is coming from. I will ask my dealer when I drive by in a day or so. I'm very surprised that nobody has found out what's going on.
I wrote customer relations for BMW usa since the website points you to get service at the dealer. That's a path I already took. Here's a transcript of my email I sent today minus my contact info. I take my car to Brahman in Jupiter. Very kind people. But they don't know what to do.

>>

Your website is referring me to my dealer service but I've been there before so I'm hoping this email can be forwarded to the appropriate department or person.

I own a new BMW 2012 128 with aproximately 10k miles. I have a technical issue which is seems to be a common theme at the dealer and online.

The first problem is that the lower vent emits heat (with or without AC on) when the climate is adjusted to 70 degrees or above.

The second is that there is noticeable heat dissipation in the driver foot well and lower console area.

I live in Florida and the heat is uncomfortable even though I get cool air on my chest area. I have owned several European cars and this is the first time I have had an issue like this.

The dealer has advised me to set the AC under 70 degrees and that there is nothing they can do with the heat dissipation. In addition they have told me that any measure I might take to fix it will void my warranty.

Since I have noticed other complaints online I am wondering if there are any efforts to fix the situation.

I enjoy my car but I do not like do be uncomfortable and I read reports where this heat in the long-term is damaging electronic components such as the stereo.

Please let me know because it appears that a small piece of insulation and change in the software may easily solve both issues.

I love my car and but I would like to fix the heat issues.
<<<
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #31
dgriffis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
I have made a posting about this item before, however the problem has evolved a little bit.

The Situation

While driving any extended period of time there is a great amount of heat generated in the driver's foot well on the right hand side plastic and carpeting. This condition happens under normal driving conditions.

When driven with great enthusiasm... the carpeting and the plastic become HOT to the touch and will come to the point that it will almost start burning my leg if I am wearing shorts.

My SA and Dealer have been made aware of the problem and they have involved a regional service advisor to take a look at this issue. Further, they have involved BMW Ag in the issues as well. The dealer suspects that the mid-pipe is in too close proximity to the body and is transferring the heat to the cabin.

The question to all of you... are there any other 1m vehicles experiencing any sort of heat transmission from the underbody of the vehicle to the inside cabin? If so your input would be appreciated in helping solve this issue.

Please advise...

Update July 5 2011 at 10:00pm

While driving this evening with the ac on and off I noticed that the same area sweltering in heat now started to condensate due to the mixing of hot surface and cool air... How nice

Update July 7th 2011

Met with BMW regional engineer at dealer to discuss both heat concern in foot well and exhaust drone.

Heat issue: very well document of temperatures and causes of issue; exhaust heat. Visual inspection under vehicle shows that there is no reflective heat shield on driver side of transmission housing. By design is this a mistake?? The question has been sent to Germany. Engineer has told me that issue is top priority and answers will be forthcoming.

Exhaust drone: documented at various speeds and the question has been raised to Germany if a butterfly valve will be fitted to system in future. Status pending but not as high priority as heat issue.
It's a year later and apparently they haven't solved the problem. I bought a laser temperature gun. In 80 degree weather with the automatic temperature set at 70 degrees the side panel next to your leg registers over 110 degrees!!! Have tried a variation of control settings without success. My car is brand new. The best luck I've had at getting the heat source turned off is driving without the AC off and without vents. I had a similar issue in a used Fiat 500 in the 70s. Ridiculous that this would happen in a 40 grand BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 09:43 AM   #32
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i know this is an old thread.....BUT i've noticed this problem with my 1M where the footwell becomes very 'warm'......are we considering this to be "NORMAL"??
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #33
PeterSharon
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

Hi
know this is an old thread
i have owned my 1m for the past 4 years
it did not happen before but i have noticed an overwhelming heat coming from the footwell
had the car at bmw and mecanic had look under and there was no problem at all
allexhaust shiel is in place
i took the trim off myself when i got home after a drive and there is an unisulated pipe coming from engine bay very very hot
i suspect this is the guilty party
it also only happens when i have the fan on when the fan is off no heat
ac also causes it
could this posssibly be shortage of gas on air con????

it did not happen before
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 03:41 PM   #34
mrmaltese
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Same here...though I drive a 2015 X1, just acquired used (but still under original warranty). Had first long trip over 300 miles yesterday and noticed the extremely hot trim in right footwell. The higher the acceleration the hotter it got! Almost burned my leg. Was going to take off plastic trim to investigate but saw there is a knee airbag under there so I didn't mess around. Will (reluctatnly) have to call dealer... any more thoughts on this? Puts a damper on the whole BMW experience for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 09:55 PM   #35
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

i am going to go ahead and call this symptom "normal".

have since reached around 90k miles and no additional issues present. apparently this is a very common symptom in A LOT of different BMW models not specifically for the 1M by any means....