BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #67
bimmer ///man
Captain
Rep
Drives: M

Is there any way to make the lip thinner? The OEM CRT lip is at least half the width of the this one. This one just looks a little chunky. I think the lines should be crisper to fit the rest of the car's lines.

Is Slek the one producing this lip? If so, when will it be for sale? HP Autowerks is in my backyard and it would be convenient for me to buy from them. Although, I thought I would have to buy from them anyways because I was told they are the exclusive distributor...

More info would be great.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #68
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Some pics after the AW stripe application and one to show thickness, I can see why people are saying its thick but in reality its not that thick. That AW stripe is 3/8ths.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #69
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
+1, second reason for me to await the plastic version (ie: assuming solid mold (?), we can slice off as much as we please)

What is the (estimated) weight of this carbon version, is this version hollow or if not, what is the base material?
I believe it is hollow. I dont have a weight but I can have mine weighed and double check if its hollow when I get it in my hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
To each his own, and I think it's great the more products are becoming available for our 1Ms, but I don't really "get" this piece.

Although I'd probably also have to add more rear downforce, I might be interested in a splitter (though not carbon fiber), but this CRT-style lip is unlikely to do much aero-wise.

And to me it looks a bit like a partially extended tongue...

Neil
I just liked the look of it and wanted one after I saw it on the CRT. Wasnt designed really to perform any specific function.

Had someone walk up to Einsers car today and comment specifically "that lip is siiiick" He also commented on the quality and guessed at a price that was double what it costs. He was very impressed and asked for the manufacturers info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer ///man View Post
Is there any way to make the lip thinner? The OEM CRT lip is at least half the width of the this one. This one just looks a little chunky. I think the lines should be crisper to fit the rest of the car's lines.

Is Slek the one producing this lip? If so, when will it be for sale? HP Autowerks is in my backyard and it would be convenient for me to buy from them. Although, I thought I would have to buy from them anyways because I was told they are the exclusive distributor...

More info would be great.
I dont know that the OEM is half as thick. That white stripe is 3/8ths vinyl. I havent seen an OEM one before so I cant really comment.

Slek is producing them. They will be available soon, you can PM me for more details.

Last edited by Papethova; 02-28-2012 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #70
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I believe it is hollow. I dont have a weight but I can have mine weighed and double check if its hollow when I get it in my hands

I just liked the look of it and wanted one after I saw it on the CRT. Wasnt designed really to perform any specific function.

Had someone walk up to Einsers car today and comment specifically "that lip is siiiick" He also commented on the quality and guessed at a price that was double what it costs. He was very impressed and asked for the manufacturers info.

I dont know that the OEM is half as thick. That white stripe is 3/8ths vinyl. I havent seen an OEM one before so I cant really comment.

Slek is producing them. They will be available soon, you can PM me for more details.
thanx for wrapping up the lip project today with me paps
couldnt have done it w/o you and your thomas guide know how of LA streets
cant wait to see this lip on your car man, cant wait!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #71
Stratus650
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupe

Gorgeous !!

'12 Candy Grey Metallic 1M
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #72
KidSkinny
Rep
Drives: NA

Just seen Kirks and this is a well made product and looks great too, a lot different than the full CF piece that you see on Powerbeast's but I love it. And you still have a little room on both sides so you can still creep up driveways and what not. And the white stripe helps it flow with the rest of the car! Over all it's a great product!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #73
Mr_M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: on the sidewalks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova
Some pics after the AW stripe application and one to show thickness, I can see why people are saying its thick but in reality its not that thick. That AW stripe is 3/8ths.
Wow!! Nice. Is one if those time that you make a little change and make a huge difference. Good job pap! Really like the white stripe.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #74
LeMansM5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Comparison pics. Note: White stripe will appear to be thicker compared to red even if they are same due to white being light color.

Last edited by LeMansM5; 02-28-2012 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #75
MB38
[insert witty title here]
Rep
Drives: '97 Supra TT, '11 1M

Stick it on a VO already!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #76
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB38
Stick it on a VO already!
NO VO for you! paps should have his done by tomorrow...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #77
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
NO VO for you! paps should have his done by tomorrow...
Lip will be done I think, but I dont think I can pick it up tomorrow, my schedule is a bit tight the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #78
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

I think the white liner should be a bit smaller. But overall .....

Nice job so far eager to get it overhere ..... in ONE piece
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #79
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Nice job.

Undoubtedly you're all excellent drivers not bumping into things. However, don't you think the white or red liner risks to be scratch prone for low sitting obstacles (speed bump, steep slope, high curbed sidewalk) ? By leaving it black, possible scratches (+ the insects summer massacre ) will be less obvious, methinks.
      02-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #80
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

i think it looks great. i am not a fan of the gloss carbon but a matte or a plastic one would be perfect. good stuff pap
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #81
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Below a picture of the badges of honor phenomenon I was referring to in my last post (source: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577757 - according to Dackelone this might be MDorphn's 1M - sorry for peeking under its skirt ). Imagine the hardship a splitter has to endure when it's fit there.

In the event of a feisty collission, a carbon fibre splitter is capable of ripping apart the front spoiler connection points (screw holes) like a hot knife through butter (yup, been there, done that in my pré-///M era and defo not proud of it; I refused to take a picture of the spoiler carnage caused by a bloody high curb: swallow your pride, remove the damaged splitter, order a new one and drill alternative screw holes to fit the new splitter on the partially messed up bottom side of the spoiler).

Name:  Scratched_Spoiler.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  65.2 KB
      02-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #82
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post
I think the white liner should be a bit smaller. But overall .....
Hoping to try 1/4 or 5/16ths but yesterday thats the smallest we had (3/8ths)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Nice job.

Undoubtedly you're all excellent drivers not bumping into things. However, don't you think the white or red liner risks to be scratch prone for low sitting obstacles (speed bump, steep slope, high curbed sidewalk) ? By leaving it black, possible scratches (+ the insects summer massacre ) will be less obvious, methinks.
Thats the beauty of the vinyl, just remove and reapply a new one. It will always hide any scuff on the lip itself too. My car personally doesnt get driven enough for me to worry about scraping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
i think it looks great. i am not a fan of the gloss carbon but a matte or a plastic one would be perfect. good stuff pap
Should have pics of a matte 1x1 today or tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #83
spyder562
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Kirk, did you take the cinnamon challenge in your car?

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #84
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder562 View Post

LMFAO!!!!! i was checking traffic going back to my cave in cucamonga, made me puke alright no cinnamon needed for that face!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #85
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Not a real big fan of this style lip, or better yet, "tongue" as MDORPHN called it. However, I am glad to see that our 1M community has the initiative and ability to realize products we want.
      02-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #86
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Not a real big fan of this style lip, or better yet, "tongue" as MDORPHN called it. However, I am glad to see that our 1M community has the initiative and ability to realize products we want.
i honestly was the first one to frown at the CRT tongue look of the lip but took a chance and signed up for this lip. when they lifted it up to the car i knew right away it was the right lip for the car. couldnt be happier with it. its one of those things you have to see in person to appreciate. always told myself i could enjoy the grand canyons in pictures until i took my ass there and it was wow i was so wrong.
understand its not for everyone, but then there's powerbeast's lip if this doesnt fit your taste!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #87
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder562 View Post

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #88
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
dude i cant stop laughing

Appreciate 0