E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Would you pay to play?

View Poll Results: How much would you pay annually for a membership?
Nothing. Not worth it. 123 71.10%
$10 29 16.76%
$20 12 6.94%
$25 or more 9 5.20%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

03-08-2006, 11:47 AM   #45
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
I voted yes, but disagree with the idea for now. The forum must "mature" and age enough to start something like this. Benefits you get for paying must be clear, and beneficial. Usually, wise-ass administrators wait until the site gets really popular, they turn it into a private forum as a prepay site. Sites like those however, already includes tons of dedicated senior members, LOTS of info, and lots of traffic. Basically the "leave if you want, but you have no other better place to go" theory. E90POST is not quite there yet.
I understand this part of your argument. But I cannot think of a forum that has flourished trying to implement this model. Maybe you know of a site that has increased its volume of good info by charging a fee?

Most sites volume decreases and the amount of good information also decreases. Many of the good people leave with the bad. The forums become a sound board for a couple individuals who don’t necessarily encompass what the average user wants to read. Then the site slowly dies.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #46
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

I am quivering with delight, knowing that since this thread is On-Topic, I will receive 1(one) post count for it.

YES!

If the admins want to keep it free, let them. If they want donations I'll pay up.

I read about how to cancel the turn signal the other day. Thanks KSfrogman!

So even though I participate far less these days it doesn't mean I'm not searching for the bits of Truth that attracted me here in the first place. The rest is off-topic and let it stay there. When a real ECU chip shows up, I'll post again, when I can afford 17" wheels ditto, etc etc.

Right now I have nothing to contribute to E90 post in terms of wisdom or knowledge, and the world will not stop spinning if I don't participate in every thread or welcome every new member. I enjoy the few buddies I have here and that's it.

edit: It's not fair to say "nothing - NOT WORTH IT". Just because I'm not paying doesn't make the site Not Worth It.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 02:11 PM   #47
triton.
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Fit

Garage List
2009 FIT  [2.00]
I think a 1 time payment would be enough to deter most that are just browsing. I don't think that would be unreasonable. Maybe pay $10 for posting access and get a E90Post.com sticker for the trouble.

My E90 OEM Front/Side Bumpers for Sale -Here
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 02:17 PM   #48
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I don't think me and many others would have joined and be a part of this community if we had to pay. There are lot of new members that does post useless stuff and ask questions before search but everybody makes mistakes. We also had other new members who have contributed a lot to this forum so I would say keep it the way it is now. Mark has mentioned before that they don't want anyone donating money as of now.. I think the best way to help out will be to go to meets and get the E90post name out there..
      03-08-2006, 02:41 PM   #49
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aficionado
I understand this part of your argument. But I cannot think of a forum that has flourished trying to implement this model. Maybe you know of a site that has increased its volume of good info by charging a fee?

Most sites volume decreases and the amount of good information also decreases. Many of the good people leave with the bad. The forums become a sound board for a couple individuals who don’t necessarily encompass what the average user wants to read. Then the site slowly dies.
I think you mis-understood my post.
I have seen lots of forums where in the beginning it was free, and after alot of members joined, traffic got heavy, information was overwhelming and the site admin turned it into private forum and you had to pay. but you would get benefits from vendors, blah blah blah. One of the prelude forum I go to did this. and realized, damn I had to pay. Because that was the only site with such massive info about the car. Its like Microsoft.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #50
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
edit: It's not fair to say "nothing - NOT WORTH IT". Just because I'm not paying doesn't make the site Not Worth It.
AGREE 100%!!
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #51
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Ha, good luck with that idea...but it did work for the SA Forums...

You guys can pay me a dollar each, and I'll leave.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #52
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
I think you mis-understood my post.
I have seen lots of forums where in the beginning it was free, and after alot of members joined, traffic got heavy, information was overwhelming and the site admin turned it into private forum and you had to pay. but you would get benefits from vendors, blah blah blah. One of the prelude forum I go to did this. and realized, damn I had to pay. Because that was the only site with such massive info about the car. Its like Microsoft.
I understood your post That’s why I asked ‘Maybe you know of a site that has increased its volume of good info by charging a fee?’

I get the premise of building the site then implementing a fee. But I still contend those sites don’t have staying power. They become weaker sources of info and eventually go away.

Microsoft isn’t a good example for many reasons. For one, they are the manufacturer not a 3rd party site. Also, the few times they have turned a free area into a pay-per area was when they added manufacture supported content. Its safe to say that many people would pay for a BMW run website with information from BMW itself. That’s much different than a 3rd party site offering this service successfully while charging. What are these sites that have turned to a pay-to-play system and are still flourishing?
(I'm not saying they can't or don’t exist, I just don’t know of them )
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #53
porscheneer
Porscheneer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
An 'invitation only' mail group with strict (enforced) guidelines would be welcome. Color suggestions, rants about other makes/models, aftermarket devices/equipment that do not enhance performance and or driveability, etc. could be eliminated in favor of helpful information about the care and feeding of the cars. Such lists exist for other vehicle lines and provide valueable resources, without the chatter.
" invitation only" are you sure you would make the list?
and what is wrong with aftermarket devices and mods?
I think your pissed other people are removing charcoal filters they paid for... dammit ben its still buggin you!

porscheneer@hotmail.com
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 03:23 PM   #54
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I should be a mod.

Seriously though, unless there are real benefits, I doubt this forum will flourish with a pay to play system implemented.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #55
JackMac
Recovering BMW Addict
Scotland
Rep
Drives: <OO (|||)(|||) OO>

Garage List
Here ya go...

Pay $10 per year membership. Then, each post costs you $.02. After 500 posts, you're done for the year.

Would make some think twice if they had to "spend" each post to literally give their 2 cents!

Anyway, it will never happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #56
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMac
Here ya go...

Pay $10 per year membership. Then, each post costs you $.02. After 500 posts, your done for the year.

Would make some think twice if they had to "spend" each post to literally give their 2 cents!

Anyway, it will never happen.
~8,900 members x $10 a year = $44,500 each for Mark and Jason a year. This would cover bandwidth costs and much, much more.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #57
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Yah, except 80% of the members wouldn't pay...80/20 rule!

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 08:24 PM   #58
Cory1000
God
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I have tried many times to offer to send some $$ jason and marks way. I have always thought that there should be a paypal account or something setup so if people want to send $$ they can. If they dont want to, thats fine too. People who dont pay should have the same access as everyone else. I dont have the most number of posts on here but I do spend about 1 hour a day on it reading what other people have to say and yes, there is a lot of crap on here but there is also a lot of good stuff and I think the admins do a great job of getting rid of the non-e90 stuff. I would would be the first one in line to send some $$ their way to show my support. Also, I work for IBM and would be willing to help out with any computer hardware that I can to assist jason and mark.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #59
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory1000
I have tried many times to offer to send some $$ jason and marks way. I have always thought that there should be a paypal account or something setup so if people want to send $$ they can. If they dont want to, thats fine too. People who dont pay should have the same access as everyone else. I dont have the most number of posts on here but I do spend about 1 hour a day on it reading what other people have to say and yes, there is a lot of crap on here but there is also a lot of good stuff and I think the admins do a great job of getting rid of the non-e90 stuff. I would would be the first one in line to send some $$ their way to show my support. Also, I work for IBM and would be willing to help out with any computer hardware that I can to assist jason and mark.
I think a good way to help out will be to handle costs for a future meet such as food, beverages, etc..
      03-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #60
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory1000
Correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t they need to set up as an llc or nonprofit organization in order to take monetary donations? Otherwise the donation would be going straight to them and be wrapped in with their other earnings from their careers. That’s probably why they don’t want to accept a couple donated bucks and then have to fill out a whole other form during tax time just for the few bucks you are trying to send them. You would be creating more headache than its worth to just take some money that you are pushing on them. If the time comes I'm sure they will let us know if they need the assistance.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #61
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
Yah, except 80% of the members wouldn't pay...80/20 rule!
Yeah, but if they did, omgwtflol! So much bank, jyo.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 09:01 PM   #62
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

Quote:
Correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t they need to set up as an llc or nonprofit organization in order to take monetary donations? Otherwise the donation would be going straight to them and be wrapped in with their other earnings from their careers. That’s probably why they don’t want to accept a couple donated bucks and then have to fill out a whole other form during tax time just for the few bucks you are trying to send them. You would be creating more headache than its worth to just take some money that you are pushing on them. If the time comes I'm sure they will let us know if they need the assistance.
I would think that any donations would be considered gifts as the person giving the money wouldn't be getting anything in return. Then the only person who could possibly owe any taxes on the gift would be the person giving it, and then only if it was over the annual safe harbor which was $11k last year and I think was $12k this year.

Even if it was considered revenue, they could deduct all the expenses they incur from computers, web hosting, software costs, etc. They are already accounting for all this anyway as they get commission revenues from the Tire Rack ads on the site.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 09:19 PM   #63
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdorn
I would think that any donations would be considered gifts as the person giving the money wouldn't be getting anything in return. Then the only person who could possibly owe any taxes on the gift would be the person giving it, and then only if it was over the annual safe harbor which was $11k last year and I think was $12k this year.

Even if it was considered revenue, they could deduct all the expenses they incur from computers, web hosting, software costs, etc. They are already accounting for all this anyway as they get commission revenues from the Tire Rack ads on the site.
Understood. But all that still means claiming the money. And that means more forms, headache and possibly more cost from their CPAs.

Unless they decide to go full ahead with accepting money the couple of bucks Corey wants to send could be more hassle than its worth.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 09:31 PM   #64
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

Quote:
Understood. But all that still means claiming the money. And that means more forms, headache and possibly more cost from their CPAs.

Unless they decide to go full ahead with accepting money the couple of bucks Corey wants to send could be more hassle than its worth.
That's what I meant. They are already accounting for the revenue they get from Tire Rack commissions. Donations from members, if treated as revenue, would be accounted for just like those commissions. No extra forms. No extra documents. No additional headaches.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 11:39 PM   #65
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
I think he heard that JCPenney was having a pink sale!
LMFAO
      03-29-2006, 11:40 PM   #66
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

My $0.02, why don't we have a Big Brother system going where we can vote people "out of da house"