BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

SCCA Solo - Chart of Modifications by Class

(I created a new thread for this since the old one was poorly named.)

In deciding on what SCCA Solo class to compete in, I put together a chart of class modifications I'd like to share with you all. The chart includes many common 1 series modifications, and is current with the 2012 rules:

http://goo.gl/qoJBQ
(This is a temporary home until I have a better domain - bookmark this thread instead)

This chart should not be your definitive guide, but rather a first-draft; once you decide on a class, read the rulebook closely (get a copy here: http://www.scca.com/downloads) to make sure no modifications you have fall into any exceptions.

I interpreted the rules as best as I could, please correct me if I am wrong on anything. Particularly if you plan on competing in Nationals, always err on the conservative side for any gray areas and assume the modification is illegal until clarified otherwise.

Comments/suggestions/corrections appreciated. If you see parts that are not listed you think should be, let me know.

Happy racing!
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Thanks, appreciate the link. Easy to find my class, although it seems strange that the M steering wheel would put me into a street prepared class?!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
SpeedballTrix
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT SBM/CBL; 2022 X5

This is great.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutattoo View Post
Thanks, appreciate the link. Easy to find my class, although it seems strange that the M steering wheel would put me into a street prepared class?!
Glad you found it easy to use! Unfortunately, the rules for the steering wheel reads like this in Stock:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 SCCA Solo Rulebook - Section 13.2.F
Alternate steering wheels are allowed, provided the outside diameter is not changed by more than one inch from the standard size. Steering wheels with an integral airbag may not be changed.
And it's pretty adamant about the airbag part in street touring too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 SCCA Solo Rulebook - Section 14.2.D
Alternate steering wheels are allowed except that steering wheels with an integral airbag may not be changed.
I believe the intent of the rule is to avoid safety concerns with messing with an airbag. I don't think anyone's going to protest that change regardless of what class you run, but if you want it to be legal, since that wheel came with the sport/M-sport options, I think* you can swap in everything else from that option package:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 SCCA Solo Rulebook - Section 13
Option package conversions may be performed between specific vehicles of a particular make and model, but only between configurations from within a particular model year. Such conversions must be totally complete and the resultant car must meet all requirements of this Section.
*The fuzzy part then is, "the resultant car must meet all requirements of this Section"... is not changing the steering wheel a requirement that applies prior to or after the option package allowance? Nerdy reference: I need a M:TG rulebook to help me with the order the rules are resolved.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Ok, that makes more sense. It seemed strange that just a different steering wheel would provide me with any advantage.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

Thanks for the info and links
Appreciate 0