BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #23
leftyone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135 convertible

This is an amazing story. Thank God you are fine, if a little shaken. I would be interested in knowing why the BMW assist was so off in locating you. A bit scary under different circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #24
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Wow! Glad to hear you are ok.
      06-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #25
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Wow! That is amazing you came out ok especially being pushed into the car in front of you. Looks like the crumple zones work well. It looks like it is totaled and I hope for your sake it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
WOW... Glad ur ok... But I would be fucking pissed as hell!!!! Same thing happen to me.. (dumb ass little girl textn crashed into the back of a truck and pushed the truck into me...) Thank God I was not in the BMW...
My 135i is my daily driver and one of the reasons I bought it is due to the safety of the car. It’s only a production car that can be replaced very easily and life or body parts can’t. Now if it was a Ferrari 250 GTO I would cry. Don’t get me wrong, I take care of my car, parking in the last parking spot, etc. but if an accident happens I want to be in a BMW and not a Dodge or other car with horrible test crash results.
      06-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #26
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128hiway View Post
Quick update to address a few questions:

I know the one rear seat pic is hard to make much out. There was no intrusion into the passenger cabin either in front or in back. If your daughter had been sitting in back she would have been scared something crazy and sprayed with shattered glass from the back windshield...but I'd imagine otherwise fine. Key here would be to make sure that her head is well protected (if she's too tall for the headrests in back then I can see a problem there...whiplash protection). One of the reasons I think I walked away in decent shape was that I saw the accident about to happen and unable to escape it...decided to "relax" and rest my head on the headrest.

Thanks so much for the detailed answer. Good point about the headrest! My daughter is 6 years old, so the headrest isn't an issue at this time, but thanks for the reminder.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #27
Battleship Potemkin
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1995 318ti & 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
1995 318ti  [0.00]
2005 325i  [0.00]
Glad no one was seriously injured. Obviously the Flying Spaghetti Monster was looking out for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #28
DtE1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, MINI Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcho View Post
nothing but morons down here in houston... esp on the roads
Got that right!

It's pretty impressive what the crumple zone did for a 50 mph rear-ender.
      06-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #29
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
That is phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal. I'm SO glad you came out OK - what a testament to the safety and rigidity of the chassis combined with the crumple zone in the rear.

I'm just looking at the rear quarter shot... I can't believe the panels did not push forward and damage the door panel and even further forward, considering the two-way impact you had.

How are you feeling about the whole thing? I hope your insurers are taking good care of you. Hell, i'd be having to see a psych after that.

My dad had a similar accident in a 2-week old WRX a while ago. Parked (legally), an SLK55 came roaring down the street (driver on his phone - illegal here) and rammed the parked WRX up the rear. Dad luckily had his seatbelt still on (reading paperwork before a meeting), and also had the car's handbrake on. The force of the impact pushed my dad's WRX into a work truck with a trailer on it that was parked in front, and sheared off the towball, pushing the trailer straight through the back of the truck.

Both cars were a total write-off.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #30
wabbit
wabbit!
Mexico
Rep
Drives: ///1M

glad you're ok !!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #31
Absorber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 M3

Did your seatbelts catch on fire?

Seriously though, I am glad you are OK. That is what is important. Your accident also makes me feel a lot better about putting my daughters in the back seats.

And I agree with what others have said. If the guy doesn't turn out to have some kind of medical issue, I bet he panicked and then slammed on the gas thinking he was on the brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #32
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
I've said this a million times... You don't appreciate how German cars are built until you are in an accident! I was in a 6 car pile up and the car landed on the opposite side of Lake Shore Drive (In Chicago) when I was kid. My Father's Benz saved our lives.

THANK GOD you are ok!
      06-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #33
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Glad you are OK.
Excellent to see these cars performing as designed. Luv my 1er even more after reading this.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #34
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
I'm glad you're okay. One big loss for drunk driving but one win for engineering a car safe enough to protect you from messed up people who do. Hope you feel better and get behind the wheel soon. Let us know if your insurance will pay for a brand new car.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #35
128hiway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

So the saga continues. I filed a claim on my insurance so I could get a rental and get back to work and am working through everything. The at-fault party's insurance apparently is working on denying the claim...and if that really happens I'll have to eat my deductible. On what grounds they're trying to deny the claim should be entertaining. Probably going to claim he did not have permission to drive the vehicle since he was not on the policy. Apparently there are some small local insurance companies around here writing policies like that...where the policy only covers listed drivers (unlike most which cover any driver with implicit approval to drive the car). How exactly that's legal...got me...probably some backwards Texas law. Seriously...that's the whole damn point of requiring everyone to carry liability insurance!

Checking out the local police department wanted list shows the driver of the Expedition with the following two warrants out for his arrest now:
Quote:
FAILURE TO APPEAR AND BAIL JUMPING
FAIL TO REPORT CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR NAME
I'm sure once I talk to the police again we can add a citation for "failure to maintain financial responsibility/insurance" to the growing list. I'm still waiting on an official call on the DWI...but that isn't going to surprise me either at this point.

On a plus side for technology and speed of claim service, the pictures that I took were enough to convince the appraiser that my BMW should be totaled, and I'm now working through the valuation process with their total loss department.

Up next...figure out what should replace my soon to be former 128i. I'm not going to be able to order this one...I'm going to have to find something off a dealer lot
      06-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #36
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Quote:
So the saga continues. I filed a claim on my insurance so I could get a rental and get back to work and am working through everything. The at-fault party's insurance apparently is working on denying the claim...and if that really happens I'll have to eat my deductible. On what grounds they're trying to deny the claim should be entertaining. Probably going to claim he did not have permission to drive the vehicle since he was not on the policy. Apparently there are some small local insurance companies around here writing policies like that...where the policy only covers listed drivers (unlike most which cover any driver with implicit approval to drive the car). How exactly that's legal...got me...probably some backwards Texas law. Seriously...that's the whole damn point of requiring everyone to carry liability insurance!

Checking out the local police department wanted list shows the driver of the Expedition with the following two warrants out for his arrest now:

I'm sure once I talk to the police again we can add a citation for "failure to maintain financial responsibility/insurance" to the growing list. I'm still waiting on an official call on the DWI...but that isn't going to surprise me either at this point.

On a plus side for technology and speed of claim service, the pictures that I took were enough to convince the appraiser that my BMW should be totaled, and I'm now working through the valuation process with their total loss department.

Up next...figure out what should replace my soon to be former 128i. I'm not going to be able to order this one...I'm going to have to find something off a dealer lot
wow the fact that you might have to eat your deductible is just ridiculous. so many things about texas are retarded and i've only been here a year
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #37
128hiway
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I'm working on turning this into a happy story. I loved my BMW 128i. I custom ordered it last June...and picked it up 7/20/2009. It was everything that I had hoped for...and made my 110 miles/day drive to/from work...a blast! After 22,000 miles, 11 months, and being run over by a Ford Expedition...we had to part ways. However due to advances in modern science...BMW was able to nearly clone my car for me.

I stopped by my local dealer (Advantage BMW Midtown - Houston) last Saturday. We found the perfect car just off the boat at the processing center in SC. I'm now the proud owner of a:
2011 BMW 128I
Manual tranny
Alpine White exterior
Coral Red Leather interior
Premium Package
Harman Kardon surround sound
Value Pkg
and for all you 1-Addicts...this time it's got the M-Sport package!

And thanks to the weakening of the Euro...this one cost less than my 2009 that was M-Sport'less!

It decided to take a quick trip to Miami to the dealer it originally got ordered for...for one last vacation before moving to Texas. Okay by me...my dealer totally hooked me up...I turned my insurance covered Dodge Avenger rental back in and got a loner brand new Black BMW 328i sedan to tide me over until my 1-er shows up.

Obviously the customary pictures will be due next week when it arrives.

And if you ever see the guy that totaled my 2009 128i...call the cops. They would love to close out those arrest warrants.
      06-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #38
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Holy Crap this is great news!!!! Nice car incoming your way!
      06-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #39
cukoodukoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GTS

why a 128 i again,may i ask?........why not 135i.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #40
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cukoodukoo View Post
If I had to guess, I'd say about $6k. The 128i is still a nice, sporty car.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #41
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Glad to know you're OK, that the car protected you so well in such a bad crash and that the story ends well in terms of replacing your car!
      07-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #42
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
Your accident is exactly my worst nightmare ... It's amazing that you were able to walk away unhurt.

Sucks to hear about your insurance. I'd check if your state requires hit & run coverage for car insurance. When I filed a hit & run claim for my last car (due to a parking lot incident) I found that my state's law required all insurance plans to provide hit & run coverage, and my deductible was less than half what it would have been otherwise.

Good luck, I'm glad everything has worked out okay so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #43
oldfatslow
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Coupe

Quote:
I'm now the proud owner of a:
2011 BMW 128I
Manual tranny
Congratulations on the replacement car and I'm relieved to know you weren't injured seriously. I have a 2008 128i manual and love it. Simply a blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #44
128hiway
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cukoodukoo
If I had to guess, I'd say about $6k. The 128i is still a nice, sporty car.
Heheh...we all have our price point... and the 128i is a sweet commuter car. I need my HPFP to last 200k miles

Quote:
Sucks to hear about your insurance. I'd check if your state requires hit & run coverage for car insurance. When I filed a hit & run claim for my last car (due to a parking lot incident) I found that my state's law required all insurance plans to provide hit & run coverage, and my deductible was less than half what it would have been otherwise.
I've been learning a lot about insurance after all this. My car is being covered under my collision coverage...but a hit and run would be covered under uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage...which I didn't actually have at the time of the accident (and isn't required here in Texas....also it does have a deductible half that of my other coverage). If you don't have this coverage...get it! Otherwise if I had had medical issues...I wouldn't have had any insurance to cover it (a coworkers son is rapidly approaching $250,000 in medical expenses after a hit&run in a similar incident). The uninsured/underinsured also covers suing the other party for diminished value (if for instance the damage had not been sufficient to total the car). This is for sure my biggest learning from this whole thing...thinking about insurance sucks...but sit down for a review with your agent and listen...when something happens...having the right coverage can make a world of difference (especially if you live somewhere with minimum required liability coverage at only $25k)!