BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #23
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Tirque View Post
Read previous replies in threads much?

Seriously all...I've only been here for 2-3 months, and this "break in" crap is getting OLD. Like I said in my first reply to this thread..discussed well beyond death...

Just search OP, there is nothing to see here...
Agreed. One of these threads comes up every month. It's like a manual bs auto thread. Just give it up

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #24
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Two years ago, when I asked my dealer about warmup time with no oil or water temp gauge, the service manager said that there had been a special BMW seminar stating that the motor was "sufficently warmed up" after 90 seconds of running. However, I'm much less nervous with at least 3~4 miles of moderate driving before exceeding 3,500 revs.

And since the sensors & software are there and blank real estate on the dash is available, how hard would it be to have some sort of temp readout for the NA motor - in both the current 1 and 3 series?

Tom
Wonder if you could just plug & play a gauge cluster from a 135i?

I also have a Scangauge II -- it grabs the water temp (among other things) from the OBD-II port.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #25
spud
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

<facepalm>

Drive it like you stole it from Day 1.

Alex
2009 135i LMB M package
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #26
vjordan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 135i cabrio space/coral

Secret break-in technique

Well...finally we have to give up our forum secret....1addicts will send a crew to pick up your car for 2 weeks and break it in for you..for free!!!...Have my keys ready so i don't miss out on my next service call... haha
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #27
spud
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjordan View Post
Well...finally we have to give up our forum secret....1addicts will send a crew to pick up your car for 2 weeks and break it in for you..for free!!!...Have my keys ready so i don't miss out on my next service call... haha

Yeah but which group? The group that thinks you should baby the car and follow the book, or the group that says rip it from the beginning?

haha

Alex
2009 135i LMB M package
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #28
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT, '21 Charger Scat

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Get in your new car, hit the highway, and cruise for a few hours (without cruise control), pass some cars, brake heavily for cops, and enjoy the ride. After a couple hundred mi, enjoy the car. There is a fine line between using the car and abusing the car. Just don't cross the line and the car will last for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #29
spud
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
As long as it's your car we're gonna beat the piss out of it then give whatever's left back to you.

FYI, babying is NOT what the factory recommendations are. Babying is not good for your new engine but proper break-in by the book is. You seem confused? Did you even read the technical posts?

Yes.

I still call it babying.

Alex
2009 135i LMB M package
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #30
spud
Private First Class
Rep

i understand what you typed on numerous occasions completely. However I still dont agree with you..

You say toe-may-toe, I say toe-ma-toe

cheers!

Alex
2009 135i LMB M package
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #31
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I've autoxed a corolla...so driving it like it's a corolla isnt necessarily driving slowly.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #32
Papa13
Go Gators!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 / e90 / e53 / e46

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Haha, i love all this talk about "technical expertise". It cracks me up. There are always two sides to a story. Let people do it how they are going to do it. Stop saying that one way is wrong and the other way is right. Because you don't know. You going by the book, and we all know that by the book does not cut it sometimes.

A "harder" break in does not mean rip it to hell as soon as you get it. The brakes need 300 miles or so, the oil needs 75 miles or so. There are a few parts that need to be broken in BEFORE the engine. But once those are broken in, you don't need to continue to baby it.

trackrat - How about this? A politically informed person knows that there's always multiple ways of looking at a problem.. haha.. Now i see why you use "informed" so much it rolls off the tongue nicely.

This is a community and you need to realize that people will always have their own opinions. And about the whole "lacking in tech exp" thing hahah you make me laugh. Well, if we are throwing punches, you must be lacking in "think for yourself experience". But i'm not going to "single you out" because everyone is entitled to their ways of thinking (following). I have rebuild more engines then I can count/remember. Every engine that I have owned/built/been around that I have babied the brakes/other components for the first 500 miles or so, then started to get on it has turned out better then any other car/engine I have broken in the "suggested" way. Like I said multiple master techs at BMW have told me that this is the way they break in their own cars. Hmm.. somethings fishy...

You do realize that about 35-40% of ALL car owners/enthusiast use a "harder" break in procedure then what the "book" says. Now, that may not mean reline it from 0 miles on the odometer, but it sure as hell does not mean don't go over 4k rpm until 1200 miles. All that is, is a safety net.

Please do me a favor, get out of the house and go for a walk. Take a deep breath and remember that the world is a big place, and there are other things to worry about. Break in YOUR car how you believe is the right way and everyone will be happy. The reason these thread get out of wack and people hate them is because of responses like yours. Fireing at people. Saying they don't have tech exp, that their wrong and stupid. Everyone is entitled to put forth their alternative route to accomplishing a proper break in and seal set. Hell just look in this thread out of 10 people 3 of them use a harder break in.. that's 30%. Is it wrong? NO, is it right? NO. All it is, is a different way to solve a problem. People have been breaking in engines "harder" since before you were born.

Now that's it I wont say anything else. So backlash if you want, or just realize that its dead. You will ALWAYS find someone to argue about this with because there are so many people that use BOTH techniques. Many people will NEVER break in their car the way the book says.

Quote:
Yes, I understand you don't agree. I didn't expect you to. This was discussed above where I indicated that people who don't want to be confused by facts that dispel their false beliefs, won't be swayed by reality. That's why BMW and other car makers actually test break-in procedures so customers don't need to guess at the proper process. It's all explained in the Owner's Manual and it's a very simple, painless process that works. See post #4 above.

This is like every other engine break-in thread. People believe what they want to believe even when it's not true. Holding a false belief doesn't make it true.
btw, that process does work, but so do MANY more.
18' Blue/Black SEL Premium R-Line 4 Motion Tiguan - Mods on order
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #33
spud
Private First Class
Rep

Mr TrackRat, Id like to meet you in person. I think it would be very educational. lol

I have explained my reasoning in more detail in other threads, and I am confused as to why you are not as bored of typing the same thing every time this topic comes up.. what is it now, once a week? haha

Ive almost resorted to copying and pasting my same posts, but still I find it not worth the effort.

You type up good "facts" but really there is another side that I think is just as valid. I have chosen my direction and so far I have not been disappointed.

IMO following the manual is babying a car unnecessarily.

You have asked about seeing the engine innards after following the hard break in. I have done it for my sportbikes and my e46 M3.

I wish i had the pictures for proof, but unfortunately before i drank the apple cool aide and bought a mac, my winblows PC crashed and i lost lots of pix.

The e46, i did not pull apart myself. At about 1000 miles the lifters were ticking and i took it to the dealer. I asked if i could stick around and watch them work. They pulled the top off and to the "naked" eye everything looked in tip top shape.

I wish i kept the car long enough to see it at 50K miles, but i didnt. Is it enough to convince you? Prob not. But it was enough to convince me, plus my sportbikes running strong to not "BABY" engines.

We have also explained in the past the real ramifications of a board of BMW convincing engineers to print one thing when they believed something else.

Happens all the time. Its always about the bottom dollar.

Alex
2009 135i LMB M package
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #34
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa13 View Post
You do realize that about 35-40% of ALL car owners/enthusiast use a "harder" break in procedure then what the "book" says.
Source?

(I'm reminded of the observation that 77% of all statistics are made up on the spot.)

Without trying to argue for either a hard or soft break-in, I do wonder why for at least half a century, every manufacturer has recommended the "soft" break-in. Back in the 1960's, the small displacement Fiats were delivered with a sign in the rear window reading "Fiat Running In" so that other drivers would know to pass if they wanted to go over 50 mph.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #35
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

Change the oil at 1200 miles. Which IMO is the most important break-in advice I can give.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #36
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
So they removed your engine and disassembled it at 15,000 km (like BMW does), to measure for wear and inspect for scuffing or did they pour Motor Man in the oil filler hole and he slid thru your engine with a micro camera?

Do you see how ridiculous dealer assertions, website recommendations and anecdotal reports are?
I don't know what break in process is best but i do know That S*** was funny!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #37
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Wow. I can't believe this thread happens again and again. I mean, I've seen this topic hashed out on so many forums. This is already the second time since I've been a regular on this forum in like 2 months. As with many "debates," please understand that you are not going to change the minds of the opposing view. So everyone just chill and enjoy the ride.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #38
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Papa13-

No disrespect but I can see you may be lacking in technical expertise on engine design and operation or you would not state the things you've stated - especially the part about beating a new engine produces more power and reduced wear - which is totally untrue. I'm not bashing you because I believe you are sincere and offering your anecdotal experience. Without technical expertise on the subject it's easy to believe bad advise by well meaning but technically challenged people.

Unfortunately you will find zero scientific testing to support your views which are exactly the opposite of the car makers who do have test data to show that their prescribed new engine break-in produces the best results. As BMW states above in post #4, the new parts need to wear it. This is referred to as burnishing or seating in.

All engines require this no matter how well the parts are made or machined. Excessive engine speeds or loads on new, tight fitting parts cause hot spots and micro welding, aka scuffing. This is a tearing of the metal that causes premature wear and increased friction. This is bad for your engine. This is why you don't rev the engine beyond 4,500/5,000 or use WOT until the parts have burnished in. This is precisely why car and parts makers actually test break-in procedures. With scientific testing we don't need to rely on baseless theories, we can see firsthand, real world what actually happens in an operating engine and adjust the break-in procedure accordingly.

In addition Moron Man's high revs and then engine braking sucks oil past the rings into the combustion chamber causing detonation. It can actually delay piston ring seating by hydroplaning the rings with oil. Piston rings function based on gas pressure not vacuum. That is why all car makers tell you to vary the throttle position and load. This changes the cylinder pressure and flexes the piston rings which seats them to the cylinders.

The factory does know best and beating an engine is documented by car makers, piston makers, piston ring makers, valve makers, valve guide makers, cam makers, bearing makers, etc. to cause premature wear and damage. They don't guess they actually test to determine the proper means to break in a new engine. I think it's safe to say that their unbias scientific data has far more value than unsubstantiated online opinions where people have not even disassembled the engine before or after testing their theory on beating a new engine.

As I said an INFORMED consumer is free to inflict as much damage as they desire on their new vehicle as long as they are willing to accept responsibility for their actions. That is precisely why the new vehicle limited warranty does not cover abuse or negligence.

It's a pity to think people would actually beat a precision new engine based on mis-information from well meaning but mis-informed people. Without the Mis-information hwy. we'd have never heard of Moron Man... or learned about his technical ignorance on engine break-in. That would be a good thing! He might want to read a text on the design and operation of the internal combustion engine and then conduct some proper scientifc testing before telling people how to abuse their engines.

It's true that technically accurate info. will not change the mind of a person who doesn't want to be confused with facts that disagree with their beliefs and that's very unfortunate IMO.
You make wild and grand assumptions on the technical knowledge of all the people who may disagree with your opinions.

I too don't subscribe to the "beat it" break in either, but the majority of folks posting on this topic don't say to do this either, even though you imply that that is often stated by the know-nothings.

"The factory does know best and beating an engine is documented by car makers, piston makers, piston ring makers, valve makers, valve guide makers, cam makers, bearing makers, etc. to cause premature wear and damage."

You bash "motor man" as being someone who is ignorant.
Well, do you know for certain that his claim of expertise is non existent, or are you simply guessing again? What proof do you have that he is ignorant of mechanical things? Do you have some evidence of his level of study? He makes claims as you make claims. The only evidence of your expertise is that your knowledge is based on what other engineers know (manufacturer procedures), not what you actually know. How do we know that you know more about engine building and break in than he does?

Seems you make that claim about him simply because his recommendations are contrary to yours. Using that he could say the same about you. So how much more informed are we then if both of you feel the other is ignorant?

Your opinion then is as valid and invalid as anyone else's, since we have no direct knowledge of your expertise.
You ask for real scientific evidence that may contradict the manufacturers claims. Then please explain what constitutes "scientific" evidence for you.

I'm guessing that people like me, who have worked on and with engines, not professionally, for about 30yrs, is not scientific, as it is anecdotal.
But, does that make my experience any less valid than anyone else stating their own anecdotal experience?

I've read on engine building, and I've read enough to see that even "professionals" disagree on certain things, like; oil change intervals, break in procedures, suspension tuning, etc...
So where does all this leave us? Should we simply believe internet posters who who can make the most "he doesn't know anything" posts?

You come across as a know it all, by implying that anyone who doesn't agree with you or BMW's break in procedure, simply hasn't read enough and/or doesn't have any technical knowledge of how engines are built, designed, and function.

BTW, the majority of posters on this topic have NOT promoted the idea that one should "beat" their engine for proper break-in. You're overstating that claim.
Not following BMW's, or any manufacturers, break in procedure is not parallel to "beating" on it. Running an engine to red line at a moderate steady throttle is certainly not beating it.

I run my new engines to red line a number of times well before the manufacturers "magic" mileage, and no signs of burnt oil or excessive oil seepage into the combustion chamber in any of them, evidenced by reading the spark plugs.
BTW, I don't run to red line at WFO during the first few hundred miles.
I get there slowly and progressively.
This has worked very well for me in my motorcycles and car engines. Thus, I will continue with the method that has had positive results for me and my engines.

I do recommend a "break in" to people who ask me for advice, because there is more to total "break in" than just the engine. Even BMW states that. And since they know something about cars, it must then mean that I too know something, cause I agree with most of what they say.

Last edited by RPM90; 06-22-2010 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #39
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Holy Jesus Thesis. I'm gonna have to develop a break-in diagram and let you all fill in the blanks. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #40
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
lol TrackRat is hilarious
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #41
Papa13
Go Gators!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 / e90 / e53 / e46

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
You make wild and grand assumptions on the technical knowledge of all the people who may disagree with your opinions.

I too don't subscribe to the "beat it" break in either, but the majority of folks posting on this topic don't say to do this either, even though you imply that that is often stated by the know-nothings.

"The factory does know best and beating an engine is documented by car makers, piston makers, piston ring makers, valve makers, valve guide makers, cam makers, bearing makers, etc. to cause premature wear and damage."

You bash "motor man" as being someone who is ignorant.
Well, do you know for certain that his claim of expertise is non existent, or are you simply guessing again? What proof do you have that he is ignorant of mechanical things? Do you have some evidence of his level of study? He makes claims as you make claims. The only evidence of your expertise is that your knowledge is based on what other engineers know (manufacturer procedures), not what you actually know. How do we know that you know more about engine building and break in than he does?

Seems you make that claim about him simply because his recommendations are contrary to yours. Using that he could say the same about you. So how much more informed are we then if both of you feel the other is ignorant?

Your opinion then is as valid and invalid as anyone else's, since we have no direct knowledge of your expertise.
You ask for real scientific evidence that may contradict the manufacturers claims. Then please explain what constitutes "scientific" evidence for you.

I'm guessing that people like me, who have worked on and with engines, not professionally, for about 30yrs, is not scientific, as it is anecdotal.
But, does that make my experience any less valid than anyone else stating their own anecdotal experience?

I've read on engine building, and I've read enough to see that even "professionals" disagree on certain things, like; oil change intervals, break in procedures, suspension tuning, etc...
So where does all this leave us? Should we simply believe internet posters who who can make the most "he doesn't know anything" posts?

You come across as a know it all, by implying that anyone who doesn't agree with you or BMW's break in procedure, simply hasn't read enough and/or doesn't have any technical knowledge of how engines are built, designed, and function.

BTW, the majority of posters on this topic have NOT promoted the idea that one should "beat" their engine for proper break-in. You're overstating that claim.
Not following BMW's, or any manufacturers, break in procedure is not parallel to "beating" on it. Running an engine to red line at a moderate steady throttle is certainly not beating it.

I run my new engines to red line a number of times well before the manufacturers "magic" mileage, and no signs of burnt oil or excessive oil seepage into the combustion chamber in any of them, evidenced by reading the spark plugs.
BTW, I don't run to red line at WFO during the first few hundred miles.
I get there slowly and progressively.
This has worked very well for me in my motorcycles and car engines. Thus, I will continue with the method that has had positive results for me and my engines.

I do recommend a "break in" to people who ask me for advice, because there is more to total "break in" than just the engine. Even BMW states that. And since they know something about cars, it must then mean that I too know something, cause I agree with most of what they say.
18' Blue/Black SEL Premium R-Line 4 Motion Tiguan - Mods on order
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #42
MyCorvette
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

We are already in year 2010. Now I understand why at this time (with all the science we've developed), this society still exists:

http://theflatearthsociety.org/
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 06:07 AM   #43
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
Hi, I'm due to pick up my '11 128i Coupe tomorrow.

How do I properly "Break it in"? Is there an oil change after the break in period?

This is my first BMW and I want to get things right =)
So have you figured it out? Do you know how you ought to break your car in yet?

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #44
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
So have you figured it out? Do you know how you ought to break your car in yet?

And since we've accomplished that, we can go on to help him with the correct brand of motor oil, the proper religion, and the number of angels dancing on the head of a pin!

Tom
Appreciate 0