BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
CT8282
Banned
Rep
Drives: 123d M Sport

New Here - damn excited

Hey peeps. Have just joined the forum, been loving the 1 series posts so far.

So why did I join? I've been driving a company car for several years (I'm a sales manager at my company), and for the most part the car choices have been pretty uneventful and dull. For the last 2.5 years I've been driving a 170ps VW Passatt which was quite nice, full of mod-cons and creature comforts and a fairly acceptable drive, bearing in mind I spend a lot of time on the infamous M25. About 6 months ago the new car list was published and my company had struck a deal with BMW due to their immensely efficient engines. The 1 series was on the list which was good enough! Then about 3 months ago they republished the list and this time they included the 320d M Sport, but also the 123d M Sport Coupe with either the manual or auto tranny. At this point I nearly jizzed my pants, but I had 9 months until my VW lease was up for renewal.

Well, 3 weeks ago a drink driver falls asleep at the wheel, drifts across the road and collides head on with my car, smashing me off the road and into a lamp post! By some miracle me and my partner walked out with only whiplash injuries, and yesterday I was given the nod to order a replacement car as the Passat was a write off.

Needless to say I will be ordering the 123d M Sport Coupe, in white, with the 18" rims, and the auto tranny with flappy paddles.

I haven't been smiling this much for a long time. I'm a semi pro photographer too so will get some pics up when the car arrives (only a 3 month lead time to wait!!!)

So that's me. Looking forward to contributing to some threads.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Hey, I am glad you walked away safely from the wreck. Welcome to the team, you will love it!
      06-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
jpd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135

Smart choice with the diesel. We don't get them in the U.S.A. unless you go to the 335d or X5d.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Glad you're ok. Lucky son of a gun

Post some pics once you pick up that ride of urs!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 05:29 AM   #5
CT8282
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Smart choice with the diesel. We don't get them in the U.S.A. unless you go to the 335d or X5d.
Really, wow. That's somewhat of a bummer, but I suppose your Petrol (gas) is so much cheaper that you can run a larger petrol engine car for a lot less than we can.

I love the diesel engine, and at 2 litres with a 0-62 of 7 seconds and, 400NM of torque, and a combined 53mpg it's a no brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
Glad you're ok. Lucky son of a gun

Post some pics once you pick up that ride of urs!
Thanks. Will defo get the car out for a photo shoot once she arrives. The next 3 months will feel like a year!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

glad you walked away, thats a miracle in itself, and then the company getting you a 1er is an added bonus! Welcome and hope that whiplash goes away soon!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
CT8282
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Is a "mod-con" like a Star Trek convention?

Since we don't get this version, we are looking for a full review with exquisite photographs. Automatic? Lots of urban driving, we presume?

Glad you and passenger were fine after that rude surprise.

Welcome aboard!
Will absolutely do a full review with photo's as soon as she arrives (3 months to wait apparently!! Eeeek).

Re: the auto box, I do plenty of M25 driving which is known as the worlds largest carpark and is the busiest motorway in Europe, and is almost always at a standstill when I'm on it, so the auto system will make life much easier, however, having the paddle shifters on the wheel means you can still manually control the gear changes without the need for a clutch.

I took the 123d M Sport Coupe with auto tranny out for a test drive last weekend and the auto gear box is awesome. Best of both worlds I reckon :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
BSM 335I
Sir Boost-a-Lot
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT8282 View Post
Will absolutely do a full review with photo's as soon as she arrives (3 months to wait apparently!! Eeeek).

Re: the auto box, I do plenty of M25 driving which is known as the worlds largest carpark and is the busiest motorway in Europe, and is almost always at a standstill when I'm on it, so the auto system will make life much easier, however, having the paddle shifters on the wheel means you can still manually control the gear changes without the need for a clutch.

I took the 123d M Sport Coupe with auto tranny out for a test drive last weekend and the auto gear box is awesome. Best of both worlds I reckon :-)
Best of both worlds is why I went with the steptronic as well. Congrats my friend, you have a world of fun to adventure ahead!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

wow man. thankfully you and your friend are okay! enjoy your next car. one of the safest
      06-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:

For the record, I used to live in Romford so I got the worst of both worlds; the A13 and the M25 both. I think it's a really damned good idea to buy the automatic... I swear my left thigh was twice the size of my right because of the amount of "clutch action" it saw when I lived there
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
CT8282
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Crayon View Post
For the record, I used to live in Romford so I got the worst of both worlds; the A13 and the M25 both. I think it's a really damned good idea to buy the automatic... I swear my left thigh was twice the size of my right because of the amount of "clutch action" it saw when I lived there
You know exactly the pain I go through every day then! The auto was defo the right call, and I just can't wait to get my hands on it. For now however, I'm stuck in a gutless VW Passat estate hire car!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
[quote=CT8282;7585335]Really, wow. That's somewhat of a bummer, but I suppose your Petrol (gas) is so much cheaper that you can run a larger petrol engine car for a lot less than we can.

Spot on Guvnor. 96 octane gas is running about $3/gal which is about 79 cents/liter. Cos I get less than half of 53mpg, but it's worth every penny.
      07-01-2010, 01:48 AM   #13
CT8282
Banned
Rep

[QUOTE=ptack;7589183]
Quote:
Really, wow. That's somewhat of a bummer, but I suppose your Petrol (gas) is so much cheaper that you can run a larger petrol engine car for a lot less than we can.

Spot on Guvnor. 96 octane gas is running about $3/gal which is about 79 cents/liter. Cos I get less than half of 53mpg, but it's worth every penny.
Awesome. We only pay about £1.25 for a litre of Petrol!!! At the current exchange rate that's about $1.86. No way I could run a car that does 15 mpg hence why Diesels are so populate over here now. Not sure what the effect on the environment is though!
Appreciate 0