BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Squealing brakes......

I've had enough of my brakes squealing now for months!! I've brought it up to my advisor more than 3 times and he tells me everything is normal. At first it was an intermittent problem, but now its all the time at every stop." Everything is within spec Myles, However we don't give a shit about the noise" "Jay advisor" . At the survey I last received 2 weeks ago I asked for NA to call me, nothing!! I need someone to please chime in and tell me what I should do? I have at least 3 complaints about my brakes on 3 different RO's.
Myles
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
...I need someone to please chime in and tell me what I should do? I have at least 3 complaints about my brakes on 3 different RO's.
Myles
Yes, but the question IS did they make any repairs to your brakes to "fix" said brake squeal?

No repairs = NPF = No Problem Found = No Lemon.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yes, but the question IS did they make any repairs to your brakes to "fix" said brake squeal?

No repairs = NPF = No Problem Found = No Lemon.
No repairs. Back in january and February all they did was spray that shit on it and thats it!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
MikesBMW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
mine are the same, service dept checked it out twice and said its normal and pads are still fine
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I've had enough of my brakes squealing now for months!! I've brought it up to my advisor more than 3 times and he tells me everything is normal. At first it was an intermittent problem, but now its all the time at every stop." Everything is within spec Myles, However we don't give a shit about the noise" "Jay advisor" . At the survey I last received 2 weeks ago I asked for NA to call me, nothing!! I need someone to please chime in and tell me what I should do? I have at least 3 complaints about my brakes on 3 different RO's.
Myles
Myles,

The OEM pads are fairly aggressive the on the BMWs. You can always try running a different pad that's designed to quieter.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You know... over here you HAVE to use your brakes hard at times. I almost never hear any brake noise. I have heard some twice... but that was when I was pussy footing around some back roads for half a day - and I never really used my brakes tha hard. very light pedal loads.

When you run the autobahn you are constantly going WOT and then you might have to brake HARD for a slower car wanting to pass a 'slightly" slow-er car! I hate when that happens but it does. Nothing more special then two small Opel Corsa trying to race each otehr one with 55 PS and the other one has 56 PS!!!

Anyway... what I am trying to say is you might just do some brake pad bedding in.... say six stops from 75 mph to 20 mph. Then keep the car moving for air flow until the brakes cool down. You should smell the odor of burning brakes... but that is normal. You need to get the brakes hot enough to burn off the glue that bonds the pad material to the backing plate. Then you are good to go.

I think if the US most ppl just do not use the brakes all that hard. What the dealer did was spray some "Brake Clean" onto the rotors to get off any glazing. But bedding in the pads will also do this. It is the best way. The spray method is only a temp fix.

Two weeks ago when I met the German 1-er forum guys... there was a guy in a 118d that cooked his brakes. We were really hauling down this twisty mountain roads... the guy in the 118d must have never bedded in his brakes - bc when we got to the bottom of the mountain - his brakes were REALLY SMOKING BAD! Needless to say, I think he ruined his rotors too bc he just 'parked" his car. IF that was me I would keep driving - until the brakes cooled down some.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have the same issue, it's at the dealer now for that problem. I hope they don't give me the "everything is normal" speech. It's embarrassing and it makes BMW look like a POS car manufacturer. I haven't heard brake squeel this loud since my dad used to drive trucks. Mine only squeel on light braking, like when I'm covering the brake in a parking lot or slow rolling up to a red light. This also started after a really hard brake from 120mph.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
take it to the track and they wont squeal anymore, trust me. they need to be driven hard for a bit to bed them correctly from my experience.
      10-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
young1er
1st Class
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Mine were squealing a lot, including while accelerating from a stop. They are putting new brakes on it (Front and Rear) as we speak. Should have it back soon. They said they could not find the cause so they just replaced everything...
      10-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #10
EAS
Rep
Drives: VF620 M3

Try adding a coating of noise reduction compound to the steel backing plates of your pads.

http://www.coolcarbonperformance.com/faq.html

You could also consider an upgraded brake pad that offers overall better performance without the noise or dusting issues of BMW OE. PM me if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
pjdvd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i-Monaco-Euro Deliv

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I disagree about breaking hard getting rid of the problem. My brakes squealed one day after an autox where the ABS was definitely hitting on all of my 7 runs. It seems to work at first but not for long.
      10-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I notice if I do a hard stop from say 60mph or so they will stop squeeling for a few days then go right back to it. I wonder if the BMW performance rotors would make them quieter or louder.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

its nothing the reason they squeal is because there performance breaks that produce alot of break dust... so all it is, is break dust theres nothing you can do about it, to make it a little less you can leave your car in neutral with the e-break down and use a hose and get in between your break bad and your rotor to get the break dust out of there.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #14
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1A35 View Post
its nothing the reason they squeal is because there performance breaks that produce alot of break dust... so all it is, is break dust theres nothing you can do about it, to make it a little less you can leave your car in neutral with the e-break down and use a hose and get in between your break bad and your rotor to get the break dust out of there.
Brake squeal has nothing to do with brake dust nor performance brakes - cheap brakes can squeal just as often, and conversely, upgraded pads can squeal less.

Last edited by Xaeryan; 10-20-2010 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
Thaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You know... over here you HAVE to use your brakes hard at times. I almost never hear any brake noise. I have heard some twice... but that was when I was pussy footing around some back roads for half a day - and I never really used my brakes tha hard. very light pedal loads.

When you run the autobahn you are constantly going WOT and then you might have to brake HARD for a slower car wanting to pass a 'slightly" slow-er car! I hate when that happens but it does. Nothing more special then two small Opel Corsa trying to race each otehr one with 55 PS and the other one has 56 PS!!!

Anyway... what I am trying to say is you might just do some brake pad bedding in.... say six stops from 75 mph to 20 mph. Then keep the car moving for air flow until the brakes cool down. You should smell the odor of burning brakes... but that is normal. You need to get the brakes hot enough to burn off the glue that bonds the pad material to the backing plate. Then you are good to go.

I think if the US most ppl just do not use the brakes all that hard. What the dealer did was spray some "Brake Clean" onto the rotors to get off any glazing. But bedding in the pads will also do this. It is the best way. The spray method is only a temp fix.

Two weeks ago when I met the German 1-er forum guys... there was a guy in a 118d that cooked his brakes. We were really hauling down this twisty mountain roads... the guy in the 118d must have never bedded in his brakes - bc when we got to the bottom of the mountain - his brakes were REALLY SMOKING BAD! Needless to say, I think he ruined his rotors too bc he just 'parked" his car. IF that was me I would keep driving - until the brakes cooled down some.
This guy has the right idea. You've got some unwanted material on your pads and/or rotors. Burn that crap off, deposit an even layer of pad material on the rotor, and enjoy smooth braking.

Stoptech has some good information post on their site, here's an article about bedding in your brakes: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
JOE2391
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

OR go to a parking lot Throw it in reverse give it gas then slam on the brakes... problem solved.... i do this to my car once and awhile and never have a problem.... think of it this way when u drive u normally drive one way and when u brake the rotor rotates the same way on the same pads everyday.... since it ur first time doing it do it 3 times then no worries.... !!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
Thaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE2391 View Post
OR go to a parking lot Throw it in reverse give it gas then slam on the brakes... problem solved.... i do this to my car once and awhile and never have a problem.... think of it this way when u drive u normally drive one way and when u brake the rotor rotates the same way on the same pads everyday.... since it ur first time doing it do it 3 times then no worries.... !!!!
What does this have to do with break noise? You have no clue what you're talking about. Brakes don't squeak because they're tired of rotating the same way.

If nothing is rubbing on your rotor, whether it's something stuck between the pad, the brake wear sensor, or another foreign object, you should at least perform a proper bedding of the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #18
JOE2391
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

i do kno what im talking about.... 1st off ive done a proper bedding of brakes and that solved my problem for a week.... then i came up with my solution witch seems to be working just fine.... and thats that... just giving the man more options...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #19
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Mine were squealing and I personally think that the "these are performance brakes and they SHOULD be annoying and embarrassing by squealing at every stoplight" excuse is BS.

I brought mine in and they replaced the pads and rotors with no questions asked. FWIW, the noise went away temporarily when I washed the car/wheels but then came back. I let them know this and they just changed everything- they haven't made a sound since, and it's been about 10k miles.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #20
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Mine squeel incessantly.... Had it to the dealer twice, soon to be a third time to fix the issue. I've tried it all... sprays, hard stops at freeway speeds, etc. Nothing seems to work.

Wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't a PITA to get down to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #21
Thaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

For those getting their brakes replaced, have you asked the dealership why they're replacing the entire braking system?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #22
csand12
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 LeMans Blue 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I'm having the same problem. I've been 3 times and the first time they sprayed them. The squealing came back a week later. I went again and they claimed they "couldn't hear the squealing". I went a 3rd time and the same BS answer. I used to just bed the brakes and it worked great for a day or so but now that it's gotten cold, that process doesn't work anymore for me and they're squeaking worse than ever. It's extremely embarrassing in traffic because it's loud enough to hear when I'm going down the highway at 100mph with the windows up, let alone in stop and go traffic. I'm at a loss because te dealership won't do anything about it and think I'm making it up so I guess I just have to listen to it and be happy, even though it's been happening to me for a year and a half.
Appreciate 0