BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
david986
self promotion to jg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135

RFT Damage/Warranty Question

Hello all, I'd like your input on my current situation.
I have the 3 year tire/rim warranty package and 17k on my stock RFTs. Got a tire low light yesterday (after about 60 miles of driving) and when I checked it, the tire was completely empty. Filled it and the leak has it empty again in about an hour to two hours.
I'm not sure if there's some puncture to the tire I can't see or from reading posts on here possibly the stem, but that's not my question. I'm worried about damaging the RFT by leaving it parked on the tire all weekend and Monday until the dealer's service department can see me Monday afternoon. I pump it up as often as I can, but its spending more time than not sitting on a flat rear tire for 3 days.
Will this damage the tire? I don't know much about them but thought that this will damage the sidewall and reduce my 'flat mileage' that I can run the tire. Ultimately I want to know if I have a leg to stand on in requesting a new tire via the warranty.

Also, this happened right next to the dealer so I swung by yesterday morning and their service department is closed all weekend. Is this the norm for BMW service? Also was surprised that they didn't have any solution to the effect of loaner tire/loaner car. Should I be or are my expectations too high?

Thanks all.
      01-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

David986,

From your description, it sounds as though you have a straight forward puncture, probably a nail or screw or something that isnt a big hole because you say it last for about 2 hours.. no big deal it happens...

the tire probably is already toast.. 50 mph for 50 miles.. and thats about it as the tire internally builds up alot of heat and comes apart from the inside out.

having it sit flat makes no difference at this point, other than driving off on it once again to get to the tire shop or dealer.. you should put air in it before you go anywhere.

All dealers arent open sat / sunday.. thats a dealer choice. some are open only part time on saturdays....

why did you not go to a regular tire shop??? they usually accept all major tire warranties. you may have to pay out of pocket and get reinbursed, but at least you have a tire on your car. ( the tire shop would have to make the call and get the authorization)

and you probably will get a tire, as dealers usually do not repair runflats and recommend to the warrant co that the tire be replaced.

BTW in an emergency where there is a complete tire failure / shredded tire, roadside assist will pick up the car, but your on your own for transport.

i recommend that you take out your tire warranty and read the fine print so you know what your options are, that way in a real bad situiation ( on vacation, 3 am, country road type of issue) youll know what to do to protect yourself / family / car

I am not a super fan of runflats, but it appears in this case they did what they were supposed to.... you got a flat, you drove on it, and it got you home safe and sound without ever getting out of the car... the bad thing is that they give up their life to save yours....( not that saving your life is a bad thing LOL )

im sure you will be fine tomorrow after they put a tire on it..
      01-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
david986
self promotion to jg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135

Thanks for the reply. Went to the dealer today and they took it apart, took some chunk of metal to the inner tire face that was too large to repair, so they are going to replace the tire. (New tire after 17k, thank you warranty!)

Regarding my shop choice, I went to the dealer A) that's where my warranty is covered and I didn't know if an outside shop would cover it (and I knew my driving wouldn't damage the car, as well as the dealership would pay to pick up my car if need be) and B) if the dealer damages the rim when taking the tire off they replace it for free, while not all shops will. Didn't want to risk that as I'm new to my area and don't "have" a shop yet.

Hope this helps anyone else out in the future. Thanks for the help.