BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Talking Homestead with ERME - Yet More HPDE Videos!

Yesterday was blast as always at the track, well at least in the afternoon sessions. The morning sessions were crowded, people were being really unpredictable, unwilling to point-by. Most of those things went away in the 2 afternoon session.

It was nice meeting @syenisch and his 135i, awesome driving out there; hope we can do it again.

Map of the Track from Google Earth

Here's a video of my Best Lap

And this is what happens when you fail at heel+toe'ing, I didn't slide my foot far enough, hit brake and throttle with big toe, pinky toe, and with heel I was hitting throttle as well. Engined revved too high, miss shifted, blasted off the corner at too much speed and into the grass, no damage, just plenty of grass.

Video of It

I'll have more videos as soon as I get editing/overlaying the data.

If you're starting to get sick of these... well too bad

EDIT: Added more videos

First Afternoon Session

Second Afternoon Session

I won't add the morning sessions cause they were useless, people all over the place, crowded and sometimes dangerous with people that had no business being in intermediate.. you'll notice it too in some of these.

I obviously am no expert, as you can see from the videos (specially the one above).. but some of these guys looked like it was their first time out.

Last edited by yandy; 03-04-2012 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
nice! bummer they didn't let you use the banked ovals! gotta love those nice open runoffs
      02-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
nice! bummer they didn't let you use the banked ovals! gotta love those nice open runoffs
Some organizations let you use them once you get to advance, but not sure about these guys. I know they have a race org FARA that uses Nascar turns 3 & 4. Little by little, just gotta work my way up to advanced, which it'll be a while.. lol
      02-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Nice to meet you too Yandy. Great driving out there. I think we represented pretty well. By the end of the day I think we were among the fastest in our group aside from that insane Corvette!! I'm sure we will see each other at an event or two over the next few years. Really liked Homestead... Great track with some very interesting characteristics.

I went to load my videos tonight and was disappointed to see they are so bright you can't even see anything. I think it's because I set the camera up in the dark garage and didn't think to let the camera reset it's settings in the brighter light on the track. First time using that camera for track video, so lesson learned I guess.

My best lap was 1:48.3 which I followed up with a 1:48.6 the next lap. Not bad for street tires, stock tune, and only mild suspension mods! Next step is to put in my Dinan Camber Plates and M3 Rear Subframe Bushings. Then I will call the suspension complete and
tackle the brakes. Still shocked how bad they were once I was comfortable and really pushing to the limit.

I am probably done with DE's until the Fall, when I will most likely head back up to Savannah to Roebling Road with PCA. Hope to see you and others there!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

yandyr, what did you use to collect data?
Looks like RPM is actual, but the gears are guessed based on RPM/speed?
RPM from audio?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
yandyr, what did you use to collect data?
Looks like RPM is actual, but the gears are guessed based on RPM/speed?
RPM from audio?
I'm using the PLX KIWI WiFi device, Gear's actual but there's a certain delay, and when down shifting or upshifting more than one gear, let's say from 4th to 2nd, it counts 3rd for a split second for some reason, I noticed that too, but the data's actual.
      02-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
Nice to meet you too Yandy. Great driving out there. I think we represented pretty well. By the end of the day I think we were among the fastest in our group aside from that insane Corvette!! I'm sure we will see each other at an event or two over the next few years. Really liked Homestead... Great track with some very interesting characteristics.

I went to load my videos tonight and was disappointed to see they are so bright you can't even see anything. I think it's because I set the camera up in the dark garage and didn't think to let the camera reset it's settings in the brighter light on the track. First time using that camera for track video, so lesson learned I guess.

My best lap was 1:48.3 which I followed up with a 1:48.6 the next lap. Not bad for street tires, stock tune, and only mild suspension mods! Next step is to put in my Dinan Camber Plates and M3 Rear Subframe Bushings. Then I will call the suspension complete and
tackle the brakes. Still shocked how bad they were once I was comfortable and really pushing to the limit.

I am probably done with DE's until the Fall, when I will most likely head back up to Savannah to Roebling Road with PCA. Hope to see you and others there!
Yea dude, It was a blast, I have at least 3 more track days before retiring for summer. Roebling Road's on my to do list, so I'm sure we'll see each other sometime.

Take care and be safe out there.
      02-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Added a couple session videos