BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #881
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

And IEDEI, in case you didn't know, it also comes with special, unique floormats as well that have matching blue edging. You may have seen pics of those from blue-stitched people's cars. I nearly bought a pair myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #882
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
And IEDEI, in case you didn't know, it also comes with special, unique floormats as well that have matching blue edging. You may have seen pics of those from blue-stitched people's cars. I nearly bought a pair myself.
interesting! although I almost always buy rubber mats for my cars generally as my first add-on as they are sooooo much easier to keep clean
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #883
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

Oil change

Quote:
Never seen the CF diffuser or blacklines in person, so hard for me to truly judge and know.

The take home message should be the CF diffuser looks great on there. I'm jealous.

1300 miles and doing the post break-in oil change soon,

Motoring on...(and making a great noise doing it!)
I know it's been talked about ad nauseam, but I just 'changed' my plans to do a break-in oil change. Went to the neighborhood dealer on Friday and asked for the umpteen time about it: he said, '12k-15k' is the recommended 'first oil change' from new status. I took 12k divided it by 2, minus 1k and came up with 5k to do my first change. No real solid reason--just a gut thing. My 09 I did@1400miles.

So mb135i: what's your mileage for your 'mid-cycle' change?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #884
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82KCMo View Post
Hello all,

I've loved reading through this thread and I finally have a reason to post.

I purchased a LeMans Blue 135is last month.

Premium Package, Black with Blue Stitching
6MT
HK Stereo
Navi

Additions:
Clear Bra
35% tint all around.

Attached pictures are from day of purchase before the clear bra and tint. Will post current pics when car is clean.
Dang, now I'm NOT the ONLY LMB in the region...lol J/k. The other day I was cruising home coming from NKC and a silver bmw pulled behind me and followed for a few miles....He didn't flash his lights, nor give the 'rock on' hand signal so I thought it was just another 'status' bmw driver. I didn't even notice until i exited on the off ramp that it was a Silver 135i. Then he zoomed off.

I'm just over the border in JayHawk country...

Might have to have a Mizzou/KU meet and greet before a Chiefs game one day??? (My wife is a diehard Tiger so it's hard for her living in 'enemy' territory now. I'm just an easy going islander from the Pacific Ocean).

Last edited by m981addicts; 07-29-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #885
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m981addicts View Post
I know it's been talked about ad nauseam, but I just 'changed' my plans to do a break-in oil change. Went to the neighborhood dealer on Friday and asked for the umpteen time about it: he said, '12k-15k' is the recommended 'first oil change' from new status. I took 12k divided it by 2, minus 1k and came up with 5k to do my first change. No real solid reason--just a gut thing. My 09 I did@1400miles.

I can mentally handle 10K, but the whole 15k is a bit much for me. On my 2008 135i, it meant I didn't get the oil changed for almost 2.5 years! When I took it in, they said, oh, well BMW will change your oil once per year if you're under the mileage. I don't know if that's still true 3 years later, but might help people out.

In a week or two I'll do my post break in oil change and then perhaps let her out a bit. Right now it's too pretty from about 10 hours of detailing yesterday, don't want them mucking it up. Pictures coming shortly...of a 135is, too!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #886
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can mentally handle 10K, but the whole 15k is a bit much for me. On my 2008 135i, it meant I didn't get the oil changed for almost 2.5 years! When I took it in, they said, oh, well BMW will change your oil once per year if you're under the mileage. I don't know if that's still true 3 years later, but might help people out.

In a week or two I'll do my post break in oil change and then perhaps let her out a bit. Right now it's too pretty from about 10 hours of detailing yesterday, don't want them mucking it up. Pictures coming shortly...of a 135is, too!
True...15k is WAY too much for my peace of mind. My Mz3 had/has oil changes every year running only about 2500 miles per. The way I look at it, you can never go wrong with newer oil--even if it's not necessary on lower miles. But you can go wrong if the oil is weak/thin@higher intervals. And everyone drives differently so gotta do what gives you peace at night.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #887
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Alright, spent way too much time yesterday washing, claying, putting two coats of wax on, and detailing the rims and tires. Sadly, I didn't finish until about 9 last night, so took pics this morning before heading to work. My whole body hurts and I can barely move today, but hopefully it's worth it. Enjoy!

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #888
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Very nice Greg! Wish I had the 'youth' to spend that much time on my cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #889
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Very nice Greg! Wish I had the 'youth' to spend that much time on my cars.
So do I! I may end up in the emergency room before the day is over. Not doing that again anytime soon. Ugh...my EVERYTHING hurts and suffering from hot flashes.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #890
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:

I did 1,250ish for break in. I have a hard time believing only M engines produce high levels of metal particulate during break in, as BMW would have you believe since it's only M engines that call for break in service. So I paid for my own peace of mind.

I was planning on 7,500 as mid-cycle, but with a long trip coming up, I'm having it done sooner @ 7,000. When I do these, I don't have the counter reset, so my first official oil change will end up being somewhere between 12k and 13k, or 5-6k beyond this week's mid-cycle.

Greg - car looks sweet! Can't believe you needed clay so soon in its life! I'm still working on top of the dealership detail job by topping it LSP (Menzerna powerlock). No polishing yet - maybe by the end of the summer. I'm scared of claying without polishing because it's so easy to swirl paint with clay.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #891
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Greg - car looks sweet! Can't believe you needed clay so soon in its life! I'm still working on top of the dealership detail job by topping it LSP (Menzerna powerlock). No polishing yet - maybe by the end of the summer. I'm scared of claying without polishing because it's so easy to swirl paint with clay.
Trust me, the claying in this instance was completely pointless, which I realized soon into it. The car was already so clean and so smooth, the clay wasn't doing much of anything or pulling anything off. But I'd already started and didn't want to stop. Only a couple of spots here and there even pulled any dirt/grime - side skirts, rear bumper, lil on the trunk.

I even put two coats of wax on the exhaust tips. =P I know it's not the best stuff, but I like using the turtle wax ice cause you can put it on EVERYTHING and not have to worry - so, goes on the headlights, did the shadowline trim, even embarrassingly bought some makeup foam wedges so I could wax the vertical slats in the grille!

I think I've decided I probably won't ever get the CF diffuser, either.

I'm always impressed though by how easy it is to clean the 313s compared to rims I've had in the past. Love 'em and if the sun were out, you'd see how sparkly they are!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #892
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M235i

Greg, wow I had to put on my sun glasses to look at your pics!

As a side note my 135is has about 750 miles on it and the service reminder is set to 10k miles. I am guessing that corresponds to the new BMW 10k mile oil change bulletin?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #893
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp-plickner View Post

As a side note my 135is has about 750 miles on it and the service reminder is set to 10k miles. I am guessing that corresponds to the new BMW 10k mile oil change bulletin?
No, the bulletin said cars produced when ours were will remain on the regular plan; however, your car does calculate that interval based on the condition of the oil and the type of driving you do. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #894
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp-plickner View Post

750 miles??? Bp, you gotta drive that bad boy more often!!! I think you picked up your car a week before I did.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #895
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Alright, spent way too much time yesterday washing, claying, putting two coats of wax on, and detailing the rims and tires. Sadly, I didn't finish until about 9 last night, so took pics this morning before heading to work. My whole body hurts and I can barely move today, but hopefully it's worth it. Enjoy!
Your car looks fantastic!!! The effort was definitely worth it!

Can't wait for mine... all these photos of Mineral Grey 135is rides are really fun to look at. After PCD, my car will have 700 miles or so on it before I can get it home and cleaned up. I'm expecting to build up a fair amount of bugs, dirt, and road grime during the drive home, so I do plan to go after it with a clay bar before waxing. I'm thinking that getting the paint perfectly clean after the drive should be the step immediately prior to clear shield installation. Any differing opinions?

Last edited by CAVU; 07-29-2013 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #896
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

If you combine my car's mileage (1300) + bp's (750), you're still less than yours!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #897
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport View Post

Can't wait for mine... all these photos of Mineral Gray 135is rides are really fun to look at. After PCD, my car will have 700 miles or so on it before I can get it home and cleaned up. I'm expecting to build up a fair amount of bugs, dirt, and road grime during the drive home, so I do plan to go after it with a clay bar before waxing. I'm thinking that getting the paint perfectly clean after the drive should be the step immediately prior to clear shield installation. Any differing opinions?
I'd say go at it first with some good bug and tar remover, one of those special $2 bug remover sponges, then clay it after that.

Glad to be an ambassador of mineral grey. Just remember that it's grey with an "e" though space gray has an "a." No clue why. Also no clue how you'll last the wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #898
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad to be an ambassador of mineral grey. Just remember that it's grey with an "e" though space gray has an "a." No clue why. Also no clue how you'll last the wait.
$#!%... I'm such a noob... I did a quick edit of my post and auto-signature... thanks for pointing it out.

As far as the wait goes, I suppose that flogging the G37xS a bit harder than normal is helping to take some of the edge off the anticipation.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #899
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport View Post

Can't wait for mine... all these photos of Mineral Grey 135is rides are really fun to look at. After PCD, my car will have 700 miles or so on it before I can get it home and cleaned up. I'm expecting to build up a fair amount of bugs, dirt, and road grime during the drive home, so I do plan to go after it with a clay bar before waxing. I'm thinking that getting the paint perfectly clean after the drive should be the step immediately prior to clear shield installation. Any differing opinions?
To get it perfectly clean and do a representative detail job that will make the most of a last step product, you'd have to strip the dealership wax, clay, multi-step polish, then wax. By claying over the layers of wax that are already on there, you're not really making the paint itself perfectly smooth. Realistically the only way to do that is to wetsand the clear coat to be smooth (it's not smooth from the factory - check out the stock orange peel).

As far as preparing the surface that will be underneath the clear bra, I would get it as clean as possible, definitely. I wouldn't clay, though, unless I was prepared to polish, too. I wouldn't want swirls under my clear bra.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #900
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
To get it perfectly clean and do a representative detail job that will make the most of a last step product, you'd have to strip the dealership wax, clay, multi-step polish, then wax. By claying over the layers of wax that are already on there, you're not really making the paint itself perfectly smooth. Realistically the only way to do that is to wetsand the clear coat to be smooth (it's not smooth from the factory - check out the stock orange peel).

As far as preparing the surface that will be underneath the clear bra, I would get it as clean as possible, definitely. I wouldn't clay, though, unless I was prepared to polish, too. I wouldn't want swirls under my clear bra.
Thanks for the advice. I haven't been able to determine exactly what the VDC and Performance Center process is prior to handing over the car keys during PCD. I believe the VDC cleans off most of the material applied to the paint for shipping, but HOW clean it gets, and what prep & wax happens after that I don't really know. Seems like the safest bet would be to get the car back to Ohio, strip the finish followed by clay, polish, and wax.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #901
DeepOvertone
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that I will be at the PC this friday picking up my mineral grey IS. Its been such a long wait but its finally so close I can taste it! I'll have lots of pictures and video from the delivery as I plan to bring 3 gopros to film. Anyone have any experience about how lenient the PC is with letting you attach GoPros to their cars?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #902
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOvertone View Post
Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that I will be at the PC this friday picking up my mineral grey IS. Its been such a long wait but its finally so close I can taste it! I'll have lots of pictures and video from the delivery as I plan to bring 3 gopros to film. Anyone have any experience about how lenient the PC is with letting you attach GoPros to their cars?
Nice!!!

Boy, who knew you mineral grey folk were picking such a POPULAR color?

Appreciate 0