BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #23
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Meh. Modest power gains in portions of the curve on different days don't tell us much about a front mount in isolation. At best it's several hundred more for similar performance. Hence me saying over-priced.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #24
cbl117
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrow099 View Post
That's interesting, i had a Dinan tune and it voided the BMW warranty but replaced it with a 2yr limited powertrain warranty from Dinan. You may only be covered by Dinan, in which case youd probably want to use their intercooler.

On my car the Dinan tune had very annoying throttle oscillation under load so i eventually switched to Cobb and added the 7" vrsf intercooler. That one definately requires cutting! But it certainly stands out being so close to the front grill!
My dealer was the one who installed my Dinan S2 software. I'm on CPO warranty now but even with the software and modest mods they've honored all warranty work including replacing a cracked valve cover.

I know what you mean about the throttle oscillation under heavy load. I had that initially, but went away after a few days of WOT. My understanding, after speaking with fellow 1addicts and a Dinan Engineer, is it's specific to the car and not the tune. Folks with a JB4 have observed this too. Some engines are more sensitive to the oscillation. I believe I was told its how BMW engineered the system to generate boost quicker.

Last edited by cbl117; 08-22-2014 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:57 AM   #25
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

I just don't see the point in paying more than $500 odd at most for such small intercoolers.

$1000 for the forge truly is ludicrous. so much profit in that.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #26
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

If you're interested in how the factory circlip style connections limit you, check out Wagner's own testing between their four designs.

http://www.wagner-tuning.com/Interco...O-II_p_10.html

Scroll down at look at the four-sectioned image with the four intercooler designs. The Evo 1 Performance (top left) is the factory connection. The Evo 2 Performance (top right) is the same bar and plate intercooler, but with 70mm (2.75") connections. The flow at 175mbar pressure drop (~=2.5psi, which is a lot) increases from 240g/s to 282g/s with just that change from the factory connections to simple 2.75" hose on each end.

240g/s is *really* poor. Keep in mind 1 g/s of airflow is typically often only 1 horsepower to the wheels for a turbo car, but in a modern efficient DI engine probably a tad more. That's probably about stock airflow at best. I wouldn't even put that on a car running any sort of tune.
      08-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #27
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
I just don't see the point in paying more than $500 odd at most for such small intercoolers.

$1000 for the forge truly is ludicrous. so much profit in that.
Well put. It makes no sense, hence why there's like 10 people who run it so far as I can tell. More power to them.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #28
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

A lot of us just don't want to cut-up the stock piping. We just want an intercooler that provides a modest gain in performance that will help with heat when getting a tune that increases boost levels. With that in mind I'm close to purchasing either:

Mishimoto or VRSF 5" stepped intercooler. I guess if your looking to track your car or are looking for maximum gain there are many other options that will require cutting and modifications. that's not for me.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:09 PM   #29
optigrab
More Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i MSport 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM58NDS 135i View Post
Your stock FMIC is good enough for your needs. Here is a quote from a well respected BMW Tuner in the UK:-

Partially true.....The stock intercooler is only good to 8psi anything above
8psi the stock intercooler cannot handle. THere is a relationship between boost level and heat. More boost = More heat
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #30
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by optigrab View Post
Partially true.....The stock intercooler is only good to 8psi anything above
8psi the stock intercooler cannot handle. THere is a relationship between boost level and heat. More boost = More heat
So, if your picking an aftermarket intercooler how do you know if it's big enough to handle your new tune / boost level?
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #31
optigrab
More Boost?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
So, if your picking an aftermarket intercooler how do you know if it's big enough to handle your new tune / boost level?

I would rely on the logging others have done. Most of the intercoolers are much larger than stock. One of my biggest concerns is pressure drop. I am on stock turbos so i do not want to overwork the turbos. I personally would pick a intercooler that has a pressure drop equal to or less than stock.

Dinan is a proven performer with low pressure drop im just not sure if its the best value for the money.

Here is some good reading granted it is from a manufacturer but alot can be learned from it

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced...20Test%20.html
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #32
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The Mishimoto I'm looking at has near identical pressure drop numbers to stock and is an easy fitment. I guess you have to assume the charts they show are accurate. I'd hate to $600 and notice decrease in performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 04:23 PM   #33
optigrab
More Boost?
United_States
Rep

As far as i know Mishimoto has a good reputation. Keep us updated. Im in the market but i am not adding power till i get my suspension fixed. I have 2011 sport springs in my garaged I need to buy shocks for plus i really want a diff. I will add power after that
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #34
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I just had all 4 shocks replaced with the original sport suspension springs. Bilstein HD's.
I like them, they are a little firmer and I noticed cornering is much more firmly planted. I did not want to go all the way with aftermarket springs and such. I will never track my car and wanted some comfort maintained in my ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #35
cbl117
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Mishimoto I'm looking at has near identical pressure drop numbers to stock and is an easy fitment. I guess you have to assume the charts they show are accurate. I'd hate to $600 and notice decrease in performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by optigrab View Post
As far as i know Mishimoto has a good reputation. Keep us updated. Im in the market but i am not adding power till i get my suspension fixed. I have 2011 sport springs in my garaged I need to buy shocks for plus i really want a diff. I will add power after that
PA135, I was in the same place as you last August. I wanted an intercooler that didn't cut up stock piping and didn't require too much trimming of the plastic behind the bumper. Hell, I'm even the OP to this old thread lol. For what its worth, I spent a boat load of time researching my options....There weren't really many. I narrowed it down to Mishimoto, Dinan and Forge. I was actually going to pull the trigger on a Mishimoto, but I didn't was because silver was not in stock. I went with Dinan instead because it was on sale (I paid $850), lower pressure drop and stock connections. The price of the Dinan intercooler has gone up to $1200 which I think is even more than Forge now. If you're not looking for high boost I think you should consider the mishimoto. From my research it seemed like a good intercooler if you're trying to maintain a stock looking car with modest performance bump.

CURRENT: 2013 TSM 335i 6AT | Stock!!...for now |
SOLD: 2010 CR 135i 6MT | 351 WHP 387 WTQ | Dinan Stage 2 | Dinan Intercooler | BMS DCI | Berk Street Axle Back | N55 Midpipe | BMWP Y-Pipe | Bilstein HD Dampers | BMWP Springs | Whiteline RSFB Inserts | 225/255 RE71R | CDV Delete | CF Diffuser |
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #36
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl117 View Post
PA135, I was in the same place as you last August. I wanted an intercooler that didn't cut up stock piping and didn't require too much trimming of the plastic behind the bumper. Hell, I'm even the OP to this old thread lol. For what its worth, I spent a boat load of time researching my options....There weren't really many. I narrowed it down to Mishimoto, Dinan and Forge. I was actually going to pull the trigger on a Mishimoto, but I didn't was because silver was not in stock. I went with Dinan instead because it was on sale (I paid $850), lower pressure drop and stock connections. The price of the Dinan intercooler has gone up to $1200 which I think is even more than Forge now. If you're not looking for high boost I think you should consider the mishimoto. From my research it seemed like a good intercooler if you're trying to maintain a stock looking car with modest performance bump.
Thanks for the input. The tune I am considering is the OE Tuning. (There is a separate thread you can read with a link to their site). The peformance bump is to 370 hp 380 tq. I don't know the boost level. Do you think it is OK? I realy like the Mishimoto in black for the stealth look and price.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #37
Gneiss
Rep

Quote:
I realy like the Mishimoto in black for the stealth look and price.
I was looking for similar things in an intercooler and ordered a black Mishimoto. My unit arrived with a ding, and to resolve the issue they simply sent me a second unit, so now I have two!

Let me know if you have interest in one of them, they both are completely new and unused.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #38
n54door
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i 6AT FBO - MHD Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss View Post
I was looking for similar things in an intercooler and ordered a black Mishimoto. My unit arrived with a ding, and to resolve the issue they simply sent me a second unit, so now I have two!

Let me know if you have interest in one of them, they both are completely new and unused.
Dont be that guy.. Do the right thing and send it back. Just imagine, the person on the other end has a business, and earns a living with it, and possibly has children to feed as well. You're stealing from them.

You're better than that.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #39
Gneiss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54door View Post
Dont be that guy.. Do the right thing and send it back. Just imagine, the person on the other end has a business, and earns a living with it, and possibly has children to feed as well. You're stealing from them.

You're better than that.
No I certainly don't want to be that guy. But they told me not to ship it back to them . . . I really think you are making some assumptions and making some leaps accusing me of being a thief.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #40
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

If you are thinking of upgrading to Dinan S3, I believe the only intercooler they will allow is their own.

That might be the simple answer to your intercooler question.

If you don't want to go that route, how about an intercooler that replaces all the stock piping, so still no cutting required?!?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #41
cbl117
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
If you are thinking of upgrading to Dinan S3, I believe the only intercooler they will allow is their own.

That might be the simple answer to your intercooler question.

If you don't want to go that route, how about an intercooler that replaces all the stock piping, so still no cutting required?!?
MMT, if you're referring to me...I already have the Dinan FMIC. I don't think the thread reviver was considering Dinan tunes. He wanted OE tuning. I was only offering up Dinan's FMIC as an option since it fits his requirements and I have experience with it.

SOLD: 2010 CR 135i 6MT | 351 WHP 387 WTQ | Dinan Stage 2 | Dinan Intercooler | BMS DCI | Berk Street Axle Back | N55 Midpipe | BMWP Y-Pipe | Bilstein HD Dampers | BMWP Springs | Whiteline RSFB Inserts | 225/255 RE71R | CDV Delete | CF Diffuser |
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #42
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

If money wasn't a factor I would go all Dinan.
Stage 2 tune
Dinan oil cooler
Dinan intercooler

But, I just can't spend that kind of money, unless they have a sale. They do a sale every February but I don't think it's much of a discount.

Hence my Mishimoto interest. Their numbers claim that the pressure drop is near identical to the stock unit. Also, makes me think maybe I should just get the OE tune and forget the intercooler for now. Seems the stock unit maybe OK. I just thought that it was a good idea to do them both at the same time since I am increasing the boost. It's hard to make a decision. But I've learned a lot reading about the choices here.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #43
cbl117
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If money wasn't a factor I would go all Dinan.
Stage 2 tune
Dinan oil cooler
Dinan intercooler

But, I just can't spend that kind of money, unless they have a sale. They do a sale every February but I don't think it's much of a discount.

Hence my Mishimoto interest. Their numbers claim that the pressure drop is near identical to the stock unit. Also, makes me think maybe I should just get the OE tune and forget the intercooler for now. Seems the stock unit maybe OK. I just thought that it was a good idea to do them both at the same time since I am increasing the boost. It's hard to make a decision. But I've learned a lot reading about the choices here.
Yeah I know what you mean. I've been waiting for the Dinan oil cooler to go on sale, but it will still be a hard pill to swallow. What's the boost on the OE tune? If you don't want to cut anything then I would get the Mishimoto FMIC plus BMS DCI and install as a pair. I think there is synergy to be had by switching the intake and intercooler together, IMO. But it depends on the OE tune boost level. If its only a few psi higher than stock I think the Mishimoto will be fine. It think its the fact that you are switching to bar and plate design that is going to help with cooling.

Bottom line: figure out your goals and build around that. Everyone will tell you something different.

Appreciate 1
      05-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #44
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

cbl117, I called OE Tuning today and talked with the tuner for about 30 minutes. The boost level is between 14 - 14.5. he added that the Mishimoto would be fine and it is recommended that I do both at the same time as he will custom tune for the intercooler. He added that each tune is unique per car, they are all custom tunes that he does.

He also added that I should save the $200 on getting the flash loader since I will most likely never need to dial down my tune and the indepentdent shop can do both the same day. (the flash loader gives you 4 tunes, stock, valet, 93 octane and 100 octane) he says the real difference I will notice is in the driveability. The tune takes about 40-60 miles to adapt. They have never had an issue with problems with their tune and have been in business since 2009. They also give free reflashes if the dealer has to reflash the ECU for other reasons. Talking with him, I told him my main concern is the stress this would put on the engine. He claims they remap to take advantage of 93 octane but stay within safe limits. Was an interesting conversation but glad he spent the time with me. I feel confident in getting it now. And the price is reasonable.

I think I will be getting this but I need to rebuild some funds. ETA before August.
Appreciate 0