BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-10-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
DecoyPL
Rep
Drives: 09 128i 6sp

128i Blower motor and Comfort access turns off

Just got this 128i n52 not long ago... heres what im running into:

Very Cold outside (-25C/-13F) in Canada.

-Car starts
-Sometimes gives the check vehicle symbol on start up but doesn't remain on after restart of car. (OBD and Carly App gives no codes or faults)
-Blower fan only works high on defrost, when in manual mode or Auto the fan speed remains on very low.
-Comfort access also gets disabled.

-After driving for a while, I can restart the car and features work. (or i have also disconnected negative terminal and reconnected it which seems to reset it)

- Replaced the battery to solve issue. Everything was ok for a week. Now started again.

- checked voltage and alternator is charging

So MY GUESS is this car is super bad in the cold weather and the decreased efficiency of the battery is telling the car to turn of certain options.
Yesterday I drove around for like 3 hours so It should have charged the battery. Yet today its doing the same thing.

Does anyone have any concrete solution for me?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think why your (!)warning is coming on is because the outside temp is bellow 3'C - the board computer will do this and its normal. The (!)warning light can also come on when your fuel level is low enough to make the reserve warning light come on. When both of these things happen... you will get the (!) check control light to come on. Just depress the BC button on the end of the turn signal stalk for it to go away.

When you replaced your battery did you have it coded to the car? You need to do this. Also... Canadian cars had a recall for the battery, to upgrade it to a higher CCA(cold cranking amp) battery.

There was also a recall in the USA for the positive battery cable.

As far as your blow motor working intermittently, sounds like your FSU(Final Stage Unit or Resistor) is going out. The wires at the FSU can corrode and cause problems.

HVAC blower intermittently does not work. Solution: wiring is faulty spans across sev
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1206142
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
DecoyPL
Rep

No, this is not the cold warning, this is a check car warning with the orange car on the hoist. I get the cold warning in addition to this.

Also yes the battery was properly coded to the car.

I checked and could not find any open recalls for the car.

The blower and the comfort disconnect together and also start working together, which leads me to think its not the FSU, as if i disconnect the battery ground and reconnect it resets the system...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
toronto128
Private
Rep
Drives: 128

I had a very similar issue: the blower was behaving the same, the car on hoist symbol would pop up for 2 seconds, and the stereo would not work sometimes. Cycling power would fix it, though it would always come back. I do not have comfort access.

This happened to me after letting the car sit for 1 week in -20 C.
Also, mine would crank for 1 second longer until it could start.
My OBD reader would not show a code, though my P3 gauge would show one.

dealer replaced batter and IBS under warranty.

I recall finding a TSB which covered all the symptoms, and fix was for a battery and IBS replacement.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #5
DecoyPL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto128 View Post
I had a very similar issue: the blower was behaving the same, the car on hoist symbol would pop up for 2 seconds, and the stereo would not work sometimes. Cycling power would fix it, though it would always come back. I do not have comfort access.

This happened to me after letting the car sit for 1 week in -20 C.
Also, mine would crank for 1 second longer until it could start.
My OBD reader would not show a code, though my P3 gauge would show one.

dealer replaced batter and IBS under warranty.

I recall finding a TSB which covered all the symptoms, and fix was for a battery and IBS replacement.
Thanks for the info. I will be looking for that TSB as I am fairly certain its the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) .
I found documents on the IBS that state it off loads these features when it thinks the battery is in a critical charge state... so it makes sense...
Appreciate 0