BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #23
Marcus-SanDiego
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i (E70)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post
I have SGM and I really cannot see any purple in it in real world lighting. Bright sunlight, rain, overcast......Haven't seen it. And because of hearing about this color "issue" for many months, I have been looking for it.
So....If it's there, it's very, very, subtle.

I actually came up with another description for this color the other day while washing it...........It's a very, very, dark SILVER.

FYI...I've had mine for 11 days now and I absolutely love it.
The SGM is very similar to the dark silver that I had on my MINI. So, yes, I think it could easily be called dark silver.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #24
bimmernet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335Ci

Terra and SGM

I sold BMWs during the intro of these two colors and it's interesting how time and application make a difference, sometimes a big difference.

Terra; the first time I saw it was in a Alpine White X3 and it looked like a rather too strong version of Basketball Orange (not Lt. Brown but Orange) and that vehicle was glued to the lot. Took months for somone and deep discount to move it. Many months later I ordered an E90 330i for someone in Alpine and Terra and it looked Orange/Brown and I liked it and would have been happy to own it.

SGM; similar thing here. The first time I saw it was on an E90 325i and looked very Purplish in moderate sunlight, to the point that the male component of a couple marched out to see it up close and declared, "no way, I'm don't want Purple!" This repeated itself about three time with different couples over the next few weeks. I will say that cars with Gray interior seemed to fair better in the, "Is it Purple or not?" debate.

The first day the 1er's were in at my old employer and now BMW Center of choice, I went down to see the color combination my old friend and SA said looked great and I ha on my order; Cashmere/Taupe Leather. I was feeling a little insecure abut the combination looking a bit, ummm, "fancy"? When I saw the Cashmere it was OK but with the Taupe looked just the way I feared. While I was waiting for my turn to take a 135i non-Sport Package out for a fast drive, a 135i Sport (with Blacked out trim) in SGM rolled by and though there was a hint of the Purple it didn't have the objectionable Purple overtone. In fact it looked great and I changed my order just in time since it was the second day of 112 status and it was 50/50 that the change would take. I pondered doing SGM over Black but went ahead with Taupe because the slight purple tone of it complemented SGM just right and was light enough not to be overly toasty when our Summer days hit triple digits and my car's been sitting in the sun all day while we're at work.

Moral of my story: don't select a color combination you haven't seen in person and works for all the conditions you'll use it in.

Bimmernet
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #25
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Many shades of gray. TOO many. I am a printer and know HOW HARD it is to match grey, even with the help of a computor to match color standards.
Appreciate 0