BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Brake pads: Ferodo DS2500 vs. PFC Z-Rated vs. Stoptech Street Performance

I've done 3 HPDEs now and think that I've started to experience some degree of brake fade as I am carrying more speed.

The first HPDE I thought the brakes were great.
The second HPDE the pedal started to get soft towards the end of the day.

Thinking maybe it was the brake fluid, I flushed with RBF 600, but I experienced the same phenomenon the third HPDE. So, now I think it's the OEM pads.

I don't really want to swap pads out each HPDE and realize that this requires compromise: dusting, cold performance, rotor life, noise, etc.

I've graduated to the intermediate group and so my gut feeling is that I'll be happiest with the DS2500s. However, I recently came across the PFC Z-Rated pads and Stoptech Street Performance pads, and am wondering if anyone with firsthand experience might chime in about their suitability as multi-use substitutions (for half the cost of Ferodos) for someone who will probably do 2-4 HPDEs per year.

Last edited by ayao; 12-08-2012 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

You'll grow unhappy running a track pad on the street and vice versa.

I'd suggest you learn how to swap pads. It's really quite easy, doesn't require any fancy tools and, once you've become familiar with the job, can easily be done in 30-40 minutes (complete with jacking).

Plus, once you've moved up out of intermediate into advanced, you'll definitely want to run a serious track pad instead of any sort of compromised "hybrid."

Neil
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Thanks for the advice. I suppose that since I'll be bleeding the brakes afterwards that swapping out the pads wouldn't be much more work.

In that case, I'm thinking PFC08s might be a decent track pad choice...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Thanks for the advice. I suppose that since I'll be bleeding the brakes afterwards that swapping out the pads wouldn't be much more work.

In that case, I'm thinking PFC08s might be a decent track pad choice...
Terrific pad. That's what I run at HPDEs.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

This might be a dumb question but do you think it's ... acceptable to just use the PFC-08s up front and run the stockers in the rear, or in your opinion would this negatively (or unpredictably) affect brake bias or balance?

Thanks for your advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
willox
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2,Cayenne

Ferodo DS 3000 or DS 1.11,streets ahead of the 2500 on track,much better bite from cold,all round,a much better pad,downside,hard on disc wear.cant comment how they are on the 1M,been awesome on my ther cars on road/track,probably fit them to my 1M for next year trip to ring and Spa
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
willox
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2,Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
This might be a dumb question but do you think it's ... acceptable to just use the PFC-08s up front and run the stockers in the rear, or in your opinion would this negatively (or unpredictably) affect brake bias or balance?

Thanks for your advice.
Personally,have same compound all round
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN
You'll grow unhappy running a track pad on the street and vice versa.

I'd suggest you learn how to swap pads. It's really quite easy, doesn't require any fancy tools and, once you've become familiar with the job, can easily be done in 30-40 minutes (complete with jacking).

Plus, once you've moved up out of intermediate into advanced, you'll definitely want to run a serious track pad instead of any sort of compromised "hybrid."

Neil
Take your time and don't let Neil rush you! :-). Enjoy the natural progression from street to combo to track pads. Relish the fact that you don't have to change pads for the trip home and that your brakes dont squeal!

However, eventually,as you move up from intermediate to advanced, yes, you will want true race pads.

And then everything will go to hell!

I am currently using PFC zrated pads. They seem to be similar to the stock pads with perhaps a little less dust.

I think the 2500s might be a better pad for track usage.

Without a doubt however, PFC 01s on the car move it into a different league with regards to braking capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #9
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao

Thanks for your advice.
You can try it.
I ran pfc 01s on front only. Initially, i felt it was ok. Over time, however, I realized that the car was really shifting weight forward...I have the pfc z pads on all around. I will likely go with 08s all around next spring!
Appreciate 0