BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #23
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
1addicts is small. E90 post and m3 post are huge with a much larger spectrum of people.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #24
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
Someone once saw my stock 1M setup and said, why did you go for the stretch look? I said BMW thought it looked cool so they went with it on all these cars

So it really is a matter of subjectivity in many cases, you would think a company who has been producing world class performance cars would know a thing or two about wheel and tyre setup.
One of Evo's top comments on their long term 1M test car was how vastly improved it was when they switched from the stock 19s to 18s.

So yes, not much doubt in my mind BMW opted for bling there.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #25
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
One of Evo's top comments on their long term 1M test car was how vastly improved it was when they switched from the stock 19s to 18s.

So yes, not much doubt in my mind BMW opted for bling there.
You are spot on. Plus-sized wheel look great, but they are usually not the best option when all practical and performance criteria are factored in. When evaluating the 135is vs. the 335is, one tick against the 335is was the fact that I couldn't order it with 18" wheels. Obviously not the deciding factor, but it was a consideration for me.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
You clearly haven't checked out the 1Addicts FB group then...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #27
Texan Engineer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i + ///M Sport Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport View Post
You are spot on. Plus-sized wheel look great, but they are usually not the best option when all practical and performance criteria are factored in. When evaluating the 135is vs. the 335is, one tick against the 335is was the fact that I couldn't order it with 18" wheels. Obviously not the deciding factor, but it was a consideration for me.
Not to mention, I seem to recall the same thing for the E46 M3. The 19's look better (heck the CSL got special ones), but apparently most track junkies/teams ended up preferring 18's anyways.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #28
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Engineer View Post
Not to mention, I seem to recall the same thing for the E46 M3. The 19's look better (heck the CSL got special ones), but apparently most track junkies/teams ended up preferring 18's anyways.
The wheels on the CSL were easily the weakest link. Heavy, cast, and blingin' in size.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #29
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Chainsaw View Post
You're actually one of the few 1er owners to actually say this.. others usually go with

"eww so ugly "

"Why don't you just put wider tires on that thing for extra traction?!"

"Go buy INSERT JDM CAR instead! You make us enthusiasts look bad"
etc etc

And in the defense of stretched tires, tires are RUBBER and have an insane amount of flex. If you are stretching the tire to the point where you are endangering others, you will know as the tire will simply not hold air and you won't even be able to install the tire without a bunch of extra work.

I'm just talking about a LITTLE stretching, not even the extremes of stretching which you see on stanceworks and other sites like that. There's proof on this forum everywhere that a little stretch will stir quite a bit of controversy, this is best seen on jzhang's post about his 8.5 on 215 and 10 on 245.

But the thing is, a typical 1er owner will look at a 245 tire on a 9.5 inch rim and act like they just saw the crown of a baby's head popping out of a woman's birth canal LOL. Hellaflushed cars is probably a 1er owners nightmare, baby's heads popping out everywhere with too much camber OH GOD hahahah.
There are right and wrong ways to lower your car. Using tires that are too small for the rim to avoid rubbing, at the expense of safety and performance, is wrong. Car enthusiasts have been around for decades and this fad has only gotten popular recently. Hellaflush, stanced, whatever you want to call it, is poor mans way of doings things right. If you like the look, fine, but don't try to make us look like the bad guys. Everything about this fad is anti-performance, plain and simple, and that is why many people feel so strongly against it.

Last edited by Adam135; 11-22-2013 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #30
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
I swear I read on the e90post a lot about air bag suspension, slamming the car straight to the ground, "how low can you go" threads, fat rims, tall rims, chrome rims, deep dish rims, etc.
I think you'll find in general that E90Post is a terrible, terrible place.
      11-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #31
Tiny Chainsaw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
There are right and wrong ways to lower your car. Using tires that are too small for the rim to avoid rubbing, at the expense of safety and performance, is wrong. Car enthusiasts have been around for decades and this fad has only gotten popular recently. Hellaflush, stanced, whatever you want to call it, is poor mans way of doings things right. If you like the look, fine, but don't try to make us look like the bad guys. Everything about this fad is anti-performance, plain and simple, and that is why many people feel so strongly against it.
Hellaflush/stanced people stretch their tires because they like the way it looks. And I'm not trying to make you guys look bad, I'm just simply summarizing the common opinion on this forum for stretched tires. Those quotes I made are accurate, I went through about 10 pages of jzhang's post and these were the most common types of responses. I just feel that people are taking it way too seriously, if you don't like it then just let it be, don't have to flame OP and insult OP for it. Especially how someone on this thread just basically called all people who stretch their tires stupid. That's just being way too harsh.

Stretched tires can be compared similarly to 18 inch wheels vs 19 inch wheels. 18 inch wheels are definitely better than 19 inch wheels performance wise, and yet people still sacrifice that performance for aesthetics. 19 inch wheels also sacrifice ride quality and are easier to get damaged deeming it less safe, so basically you're sacrificing performance, ride quality and safety for aesthetics and yet you don't see people getting flamed for running 19 inch wheels. Also to clarify, when I'm referring to stretched tires, I'm not talking about the extremes, I'm talking about moderately stretched tires, which won't compromise safety too much. If you look at jzhang's specs on the wheels he ran which caused pages of controversy, you'll notice that he ran tires which were BARELY stretched relative to what other people do, and yet he was flamed. He also ran those tires with no problems to his safety.

TL;DR: Be respectful to other people, even if you disagree with their ways of modding their car. This is a forum for enthusiasts who come from all walks of life and we should foster this place to become an accepting, open-minded community instead of condemning people for their different tastes.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #32
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I think you'll find in general that E90Post is a terrible, terrible place.
HAHAHA!
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #33
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
The nice thing about having a 135i is that you don't see too many which means you're even less likely to see some fool screw one up. 3 series are way more numerous so you get all manner of people owning the cars, from clueless yuppies to blingers.
      11-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #34
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Quote:

TL;DR: Be respectful to other people, even if you disagree with their ways of modding their car. This is a forum for enthusiasts who come from all walks of life and we should foster this place to become an accepting, open-minded community instead of condemning people for their different tastes.
You find this everywhere, we all make judgements on everything, even when we think we don't. Some express them more openly.

The crowd doing the whole Hella Flush thing are doing it because they like it, just like the guys who do the jumping Hydraulics, or those who lower SUVs, or those who put large GT wings on their street cars, or those who run super stiff coil overs on their daily drivers, or those who tune their cars to an inch of their life for the peak possible power, and just like those who don't wash them, service them, or care about them.

The point I'm making here is that everyone does what they are doing for whatever reason they choose to do it. Everyone who owns a car does so for very different reasons. Some just want to get from A to B.

I also find it funny how people get upset when others do things to their own cars. I think it's a personal ego thing, it feels better to think that others are not as enlightened as you if you have an ego driven personality.

Don't look for reasons, people will always be opinionated. Allow them their opinion and understand that they may not truly know the purpose of your choice. And they definitely do not know the satisfaction you get out of making that choice and living with it.

Don't know why I posted all those ramblings just then...........sorry
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #35
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
You find this everywhere, we all make judgements on everything, even when we think we don't. Some express them more openly.

The crowd doing the whole Hella Flush thing are doing it because they like it, just like the guys who do the jumping Hydraulics, or those who lower SUVs, or those who put large GT wings on their street cars, or those who run super stiff coil overs on their daily drivers, or those who tune their cars to an inch of their life for the peak possible power, and just like those who don't wash them, service them, or care about them.

The point I'm making here is that everyone does what they are doing for whatever reason they choose to do it. Everyone who owns a car does so for very different reasons. Some just want to get from A to B.

I also find it funny how people get upset when others do things to their own cars. I think it's a personal ego thing, it feels better to think that others are not as enlightened as you if you have an ego driven personality.

Don't look for reasons, people will always be opinionated. Allow them their opinion and understand that they may not truly know the purpose of your choice. And they definitely do not know the satisfaction you get out of making that choice and living with it.

True^^
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #36
NWillard77
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i sparkling grey/red

Quote:
Probably because it endangers others.
I am guessing you probably have never looked into stretching tires and are A) biased and B) uneducated on this topic.

I will say this:

Can stretching a tire become dangerous and be taken too far (too much stretch)? Yes. It absolutely can be. But if you run a mild stretch, it is very often within tire manufacturers specs for max width wheels a tire can be run on. I ran a 235/40/18 on 18x9.5 wheels and according to the Bridgestone website, that was perfectly acceptable. I routinely crushed S-turns and corners, pushing the car through corners (i like turns, what can i say?) and never once did i lose traction or see any decrease in performance through turns compared to running non-stretched tires. The argument that stretching tires is unsafe and hurts performance is a weak one honestly because in terms of a mild stretch, it is just simply not true.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #37
NWillard77
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I couldnt have put this any better. bravo my friend.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #38
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_pissah View Post
I am guessing you probably have never looked into stretching tires and are A) biased and B) uneducated on this topic.
A contact patch is a contact patch. If you deform it outside of its designed shape, you will have less grip. The fact that you are too numb to notice and too thoughtless to care doesn't change that.
      11-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #39
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
A contact patch is a contact patch. If you deform it outside of its designed shape, you will have less grip. The fact that you are too numb to notice and too thoughtless to care doesn't change that.
Very wise words.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #40
Tiny Chainsaw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
Very wise words.
Less grip? Yes
More dangerous? Hardly
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #41
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Less grip? Yes
More dangerous? Hardly
Reduced turning, stopping, and acceleration potential.

Yes, more dangerous.
      11-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #42
NWillard77
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This statement shows me that you clearly don't know what you are talking about. Stretching tires does absolutely nothing to deform the contact patch. It is the sidewalls of the tire which flex to stretch on the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #43
NWillard77
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Remember im talking about a mild stretch, within manufacturers specs. Not putting a 215 on a 10" wide wheel. That is dumb.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #44
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport View Post
When evaluating the 135is vs. the 335is, one tick against the 335is was the fact that I couldn't order it with 18" wheels. .
18" 313's are the stock wheels for a 335is.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0