09-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #45
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
In our experience upgrading just the IC will likely not get you any HP gain on the 1M and often you will end up with a bit less. However, when combined with a tune then it's a different story.

ETS has been proven to support around 400 whp without high IAT's. Wagner will be tested next. 7" IC's will obviously support more hp at the expanse cutting up the core support for the install.
I agree. My car is mapped and before the N55 mids and Forge it made 402bhp. With the mids and Forge without any chances to my map, it made 425bhp. Tweaking the map to take into consideration the changes, it made 431bhp. All of these figures are at the hub.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:54 AM   #46
Superfly
Private
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

The question of intercooler is very confusing, for instance Bird's 430 hp conversion keeps the OEM intercooler :
E8211825431.pdf
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #47
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Intercoolers are more about warding off heat soak and maintaining power than they are about increasing power.

An upgraded intercooler is essential if you track your car.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #48
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
I agree. My car is mapped and before the N55 mids and Forge it made 402bhp. With the mids and Forge without any chances to my map, it made 425bhp. Tweaking the map to take into consideration the changes, it made 431bhp. All of these figures are at the hub.
Since you're taking measurements with both the new mids and Forge, you're speculating that the Forge is contributing to the power gains.

How much boost are you running?

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #49
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Intercoolers are more about warding off heat soak and maintaining power than they are about increasing power.

An upgraded intercooler is essential if you track your car.

Neil
When you say essential, is it just common knowledge that the IC upgrade is necessary for people who track their car? I am not trying to prove you wrong or anything, rather I am uneducated on the matter. While it seems like a very wise upgrade for track folks, at what point does it become essential?

I have tracked the 1M a few times, have at least two more events planned before the end of the year, maybe a few more. To this point I have noticed no over heating or any ill effects from what I can tell and I am tracking in a very hot climate. That said I am not pushing my car anywhere near the limit I am sure some people are. I am new to tracking, and to the 1M.

My car is 100% stock right now. Thinking of addressing a few things (square wheels/tires, brake, maybe camber plates to name a few) next year before the track events get rolling in the spring. Should I consider an intercooler as well?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #50
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
When you say essential, is it just common knowledge that the IC upgrade is necessary for people who track their car? I am not trying to prove you wrong or anything, rather I am uneducated on the matter. While it seems like a very wise upgrade for track folks, at what point does it become essential?

I have tracked the 1M a few times, have at least two more events planned before the end of the year, maybe a few more. To this point I have noticed no over heating or any ill effects from what I can tell and I am tracking in a very hot climate. That said I am not pushing my car anywhere near the limit I am sure some people are. I am new to tracking, and to the 1M.

My car is 100% stock right now. Thinking of addressing a few things (square wheels/tires, brake, maybe camber plates to name a few) next year before the track events get rolling in the spring. Should I consider an intercooler as well?

Thanks
Essential from the perspective of maintaining power (and lap times), not essential from a safety perspective.

The DME is extraordinarily sophisticated and gives the car strong "self-preservation" powers.

As intake air temps rise (as they surely will under heavy load at the track), the DME will pull timing -- thereby reducing power -- to keep everything safe.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #51
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
The question of intercooler is very confusing, for instance Bird's 430 hp conversion keeps the OEM intercooler :
Attachment 745953
You may get one really good run with the stock IC, that is it. Good aftermarket IC's will allow you to do run after run.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #52
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
You may get one really good run with the stock IC, that is it. Good aftermarket IC's will allow you to do run after run.
+1. I have seen that repeatedly on the various days I've done dyno testing. After the first full pull, it is all downhill from there unless you allow ample (and I mean ample) cooling off times in between runs.

I am planning to hit the dyno again soon, this time the only delta being the Forge FMIC, so will provide those details as I have them. FWIW, the last run I had on the stock IC, it clearly ran out of breath in the dyno room conditions (FL weather was certainly no helper), and the power fell off a cliff at the top RPMs, when I am pretty sure with the Forge it will hold it further and that is essentially where you will see 'gains'. Again, it is the ability to keep lower IATs and keep boost steady for longer, thus maintaining the power, as opposed to it being cut short by the DME due to timing retardation.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #53
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1
+1. I have seen that repeatedly on the various days I've done dyno testing. After the first full pull, it is all downhill from there unless you allow ample (and I mean ample) cooling off times in between runs.

I am planning to hit the dyno again soon, this time the only delta being the Forge FMIC, so will provide those details as I have them. FWIW, the last run I had on the stock IC, it clearly ran out of breath in the dyno room conditions (FL weather was certainly no helper), and the power fell off a cliff at the top RPMs, when I am pretty sure with the Forge it will hold it further and that is essentially where you will see 'gains'. Again, it is the ability to keep lower IATs and keep boost steady for longer, thus maintaining the power, as opposed to it being cut short by the DME due to timing retardation.
Can't wait to see your results. Are you doing pulls with the hood closed? Either way use the same dyno and process from your previous pulls.

Also, in addition to timing, the DME dumps more fuel when the temps increase which adversely affect power.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #54
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Can't wait to see your results. Are you doing pulls with the hood closed? Either way use the same dyno and process from your previous pulls.

Also, in addition to timing, the DME dumps more fuel when the temps increase which adversely affect power.
I've generally ran with the hood open. It'll be on the same dyno, I'll stop by the same gas station, have same tires, and will shoot for similar conditions, so will try to make the overall testing as much as apples to apples as can be.

Later on in the fall (probably Oct) will hit the drag strip so I can get some 1/4 miles and trap speeds documented
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #55
Superfly
Private
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Thank you for your answer
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #56
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1;
I've generally ran with the hood open. It'll be on the same dyno, I'll stop by the same gas station, have same tires, and will shoot for similar conditions, so will try to make the overall testing as much as apples to apples as can be.

Later on in the fall (probably Oct) will hit the drag strip so I can get some 1/4 miles and trap speeds documented
Any updates?

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #57
bklounge
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Helix is working well for me. Kit includes all couplings/new piping. High quality piece, definitely recommend.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #58
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklounge View Post
Helix is working well for me. Kit includes all couplings/new piping. High quality piece, definitely recommend.
Any data besides butt dynos?

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #59
bklounge
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Any data besides butt dynos?
Nah sorry dude, butt dyno only. But there is data out there. As a lot others have said, feels like there's moar powa at the top of 3rd/4th. But pretty much any quality aftermarket FMIC will feel like this. When i go single turbo in the spring I'll have data
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #60
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Any updates?
Sorry, not seen my car in a while, travel has been hectic. Should be getting to actual tests (dyno and 1/4 mile drag) hopefully later this month and will update when I have some formal results. I look frwd to them myself!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 05:34 AM   #61
RPMracing
1///M Addict
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [9.00]
hi,
there is a valid contact to purchase the Helix?
I can reach anyone ....
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #62
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMracing View Post
hi,
there is a valid contact to purchase the Helix?
I can reach anyone ....
Look at post # 27, you can PM Helix directly.

Actually, you may want to read through the whole thread and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...t=helix&page=2
Appreciate 0