BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-30-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
ChzyMnky
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

1 Series and a bad back?

Hello everyone!

I have a bad back, and it doesn't agree with all cars. In fact, I just had to get rid of my S2000 after three years of ownership, due to the fact that I could never drive it for more than an hour or two before my back would start aching and my right leg would go numb... Shame, that car was incredible... Anyway, I'm considering getting a 1 series as a replacement, but don't know if the seats are good enough. Unfortunately, a 30 min test drive at the dealer isn't always long enough to let me know... Does anyone here have back problems? If so, how is the 1 series working out for you?

Thanks!
Eric
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
LemansE82
Formally known as xXxMLEExXx.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChzyMnky View Post
Hello everyone!

I have a bad back, and it doesn't agree with all cars. In fact, I just had to get rid of my S2000 after three years of ownership, due to the fact that I could never drive it for more than an hour or two before my back would start aching and my right leg would go numb... Shame, that car was incredible... Anyway, I'm considering getting a 1 series as a replacement, but don't know if the seats are good enough. Unfortunately, a 30 min test drive at the dealer isn't always long enough to let me know... Does anyone here have back problems? If so, how is the 1 series working out for you?

Thanks!
Eric
You'll be fine with the 1...while the seats holds you in like an S...the car is no where near of a hard ride. Seats is also very comfy. I had an Ap1 and Ap2. I do miss the handling of the S2.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
tarrant
Canada
Rep
Drives: LMB 135i Coupe w/MPremComf

yep it should be fine.

I had a disc bulge a couple of years ago that I'm mostly recovered from but probably never will completely.

The 1 series has seats that seem to work pretty well, particularly if you get the sport seats (sport option in Canada, I think; not sure about the U.S.). They have lumbar support and extra support in the sides that I really appreciate.

I've had no back trouble whatsoever in the car, and find the seats very comfortable. If you need more or less support, if you have the sport seats, you can adjust the lumbar and side support. I've also used the seat heating on occasion to help to relax a lower back that's sore from other causes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChzyMnky View Post
Hello everyone!

Thanks!
Eric
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrant View Post
The 1 series has seats that seem to work pretty well, particularly if you get the sport seats (sport option in Canada, I think; not sure about the U.S.). They have lumbar support and extra support in the sides that I really appreciate.
Lumbar support is part of the Premium pkg. The non-power sport seats don't have it.

To the OP:

- I've driven a couple of S2000's. I don't think you will miss yours much if you get a 1 series (especially a 135, of course). I know I don't miss my Lotus Elise at all.

- The front of the seats extends for extra leg support, which may help in your case.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #5
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

In my humble fake non-doctor internet forum opinion you need to find a dealer who will let you drive the car for a long enough amount of time to determine if the seats will work for your particular health issue. Maybe even go as far as finding a used one somewhere so that miles driven are less of an issue. Take a doctors note if you have to, to prove you don't just want a long ass test drive. Before you spend @35-40k on a car find out if it's right for you! It's not an unreasonable request.

Don't forget (as stated) there are a couple different seat styles too, adding another variable into the mix.

I traded an S2000 for my 135i and found the seats themselves to be just as comfortable in the S2000, however the ride is less harsh in the 135i to be sure.

I have missed my Honda literally everday since I traded it...even during the winter when I wouldn't have driven it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Premium and sport package....then throw away the RFT's....
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

bad back here, my m3 killed me, my mini did too

the 135i is better, but it's not Cadillac better, make sure you get the power seats for all the support options
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

My wife has a ruptured L4-L5 disc and the 3 series/1series were the only cars that didn't hurt her back. To be safe though, test drive the car for a longer period. We rented a 3 series from a local dealer for a couple days to see if the seats worked.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivendriver View Post
Lumbar support is part of the Premium pkg. The non-power sport seats don't have it.
And, to doubly emphasize, you MUST order the Premium Pkg in the USA to get the lumbar support. Even if you order the power seats as a separate item, the lumbar support still is NOT included. Nothing but Premium Pkg gets you lumbar support.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Even after 2 lumbar diskectomies, I still get back/leg pain while standing & walking- but not after driving either my 128i or my E46 328i (longest 128i driving day has been about 9 hours, 550 miles). Both are equipped with sport & premium packages, although I think you could replace the lumbar support with a well designed brace or pillow if you don't want/need the other stuff in the PP - but definitely get the SP.

Also, while my 128i has V rated Goodyear RFTs, the ride is fine - definitely as good as the E46 with the OEM Conti SportContacts. And if you are planning on a 135i, the stiffer suspension is standard, anyway.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

My 1 causes more problems than my E46 330xi...I attribute that to lack of lumbar in the sport seat.

Get Premium and Sp Pk 4 lumbar sport and you'll be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

For a contrarian view, I'm not quite sure about the emphasis people on this forum put on the sport package seats. Check them out yourself to see if you want them. Yes, the bolsters will hold you in place if you're always driving like a bat out of hell, and I suppose if you're taller than 6', the extensions on the seat are nice to have, but my wife and I both found the bolsters to be uncomfortable in a normal test drive (particularly when wearing coats - the test was in February.) We're not particularly large people, either. As with all things, your mileage may vary.

x2 on the recommendation that you ask for an extended test drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
Jumpman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: .

Just as another point of data:

me: 6'2'', 210lbs, back issues (but not really bad, aka surgery needed level)
car: manual sport seats
result: no problems so far. longest trip i've taken was about a 4-hour drive. little stiff after that but not bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
smithtravel
Private
Rep
Drives:

A lot is a matter of opinion on sport vs. non-sport and all back problems are different. For me, back surgery 4 years ago and still under treatment for back problems, the non-sport, premium power seats with lumbar are perfect. In early April I had to do two back-to-back trips to Boston (about 1,000 miles round trip) with only two days in between. The seats were great. I tried sport seats and they just don't work for me.
      05-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

e

Last edited by Jaguar66; 04-05-2010 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #16
ChzyMnky
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will ask for a extended test drive. There are two dealers near me, hopefully at least one will allow it... It seems like a lot of people here have the same problem as I do; bulging lumbar disks that irritate my sciatic nerve. No surgery yet, but lots of physical therapy and a few cortisone injections (fun fun). After looking at the 135 options, the thing that pisses me off is that you can ONLY get the lumbar support as part of the $3400 premium package! I don't need/want any of the other stuff in that package... We'll see...

thanks again,
Eric
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #17
tarrant
Canada
Rep
Drives: LMB 135i Coupe w/MPremComf

adjustable side bolsters

The side bolsters are adjustable, at least in my car. I hope you realize that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
For a contrarian view, I'm not quite sure about the emphasis people on this forum put on the sport package seats. Check them out yourself to see if you want them. Yes, the bolsters will hold you in place if you're always driving like a bat out of hell, and I suppose if you're taller than 6', the extensions on the seat are nice to have, but my wife and I both found the bolsters to be uncomfortable in a normal test drive (particularly when wearing coats - the test was in February.) We're not particularly large people, either. As with all things, your mileage may vary.

x2 on the recommendation that you ask for an extended test drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 12:18 AM   #18
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

the seats were a huge deciding factor for me as I have a pretty bad chronic back/hip pain problem and sitting is probably the single worst thing for me, I have a very hard time being comfortable for any amount of time, the sport seats with lumbar are very good, some of the best car seats I have sat in, better than the seats in most other BMW's also. I can't sit in my brother's E36 M3 for more than about a half an hour or I have a lot of pain, my E46 M3 was a lot better but still would get some pain after longer drives, I also had a new X5 for a loaner for 9 days when my M3 was getting the VANOS replaced and those seats absolutely killed me after about an hour.

summary: 1 series sport seats with lumbar are very good for those of us with sensitive backs
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #19
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrant View Post
The side bolsters are adjustable, at least in my car. I hope you realize that?
Naturally.

Even when at their lowest setting, however, the side bolsters are still more restrictive than the non-sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #20
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

get premium package for lumber support, and sports package for side bolster. I am not sure if you can order a la carte.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #21
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Wow, a lot of you have back issues and are 1 series owners. I guess I picked the right car.
I too have spine issues, up top and down low; stenosis, bulging discs, arthritis, oh yeah, lots o fun.

I for one HATE lumbar support in seats. It causes more pressure in my problem area, which is L5-L4, L4-L3, L3-L2, L1-S1, up top are a bunch of different numbers.

I think the stock seats in the 135i I test drove were quite nice actually. The bottom cushion has nice length and is pretty flat. I like the sport seats too due to the thigh extension and the thigh bolsters. The side bolsters are almost too much. In my 325i the sport seats didn't have adjustable side bolsters and were better in feel as they were a tad wider. These power adjustable versions are a tad tighter, and my guess is that it's due to the added mechanism, the air bladder that's in there.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #22
gizmo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

While not back related, I fractured my pelvis in a few spots a little over a year ago and find myself to be "fidgety" in hard or uncomfortable seats. I'm alright in the 135, not great - not bad. I very rarely drive more than an hour without getting out of the car.