BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #155
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Which dealer is preferred in Dallas for service?

I am much closer to BMW of Dallas (on lemmon) but the previous owner had it serviced at Classic. He said they have better service. Any advice would be great.

Also I need to get out and autocross this thing! When are some good beginner events coming up?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #156
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Hard to say... I bought my car at Classic and they have done good on my service. No complaints. When I had my MINI I had it serviced at MINI of Dallas, same company, and was happy with it as well. I would still vote Classic first though and they do support some driving events and have a couple of BMW race cars. Pat Arnold (Classic) is my advisor and he really responds well to emails and makes setting up service easy.

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Meisterschaft, N55 mids, AFE CAI, ER Charge, Wagner IC
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #157
1M Tex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M Coupe, AW,

I live I Dallas but purchase and service with Autobahn in Fort Worth. Service advisor Zach.
They will pick up in Dallas if requested.
Smaller dealership and I have found very responsive.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #158
BrianB496
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1 ///M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
It was nice to meet Rodolfo and Kelly out at the track. Rodolfo, you did a great job for a green student.

I had a blast taking people for rides, everyone was VERY impressed with the pace of my totally stock(except for PFC-01's) 1M. Pretty much the fastest thing in the instructor run group.

After a weekend of tracking it I have to say to myself even louder "Do not mod the daily driver!"
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #159
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB496 View Post
After a weekend of tracking it I have to say to myself even louder "Do not mod the daily driver!"
i use to say the same thing...it didnt work I just gave in But no ECU changes for me until the warranty is over.

Good to meet you as well. Rodolfo said he was amazed at how far the car can be pushed.

Maybe we'll meet again sometime in your part of the country at MSRH or TWS.

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #160
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Audi TTS, '17 500 Abarth

Spotted a 1M last night... any of ya'll?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686136
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #161
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

On GB? Yep that was me Was coming back from Robbins Bros of all places. I do love seeing other 1ms on the road. It's amazing the presence they command! Yours is actually only the second orange one I've seen outside the delivery center. Looked good!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #162
elro
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Glacier Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB496
It was nice to meet Rodolfo and Kelly out at the track. Rodolfo, you did a great job for a green student.

I had a blast taking people for rides, everyone was VERY impressed with the pace of my totally stock(except for PFC-01's) 1M. Pretty much the fastest thing in the instructor run group.

Great meeting you Brian, Kelly and Robert.
Brian was my instructor at the track. He is an amazing driver. Had it not been for him, I would not have any idea on what our cars can do.
For those of you who have never tracked your car, I definitely recommend that you do it at least once. You are in for a surprise...and if you get an instructor that happens to have one, you are in for an even bigger surprise...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #163
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Hey guys. I have owned my 1M for a few months now and obviously I love it. As fun as it is on the street, I feel I am only barely scratching the surface and it just isn't a safe environment to enjoy this car. I want to hit the track, here's the problem: I have never tracked a car before.

Looking at the Motorsport Ranch event calendar I see Apex racing school pop up about once a month. Thinking about biting the bullet and registering for the June session (wish I could do May, but this is a busy month for me). Anyone have any experience with Apex? They have bring your own car events and I also believe I can rent a car out there. I would lean towards driving my own car for various reasons. That said, I would like to hear opinions about this for a novice driver. Last thing I want to do is get in over my head with too much car and make a stupid mistake.

I would love to hear ya'll's opinions regarding a beginner driver wanting to get out on the track and Apex driving school. If there is another option like an open track day with an instructor that you guys feel would be better, please let me know. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #164
elro
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Glacier Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain
Which dealer is preferred in Dallas for service?

I am much closer to BMW of Dallas (on lemmon) but the previous owner had it serviced at Classic. He said they have better service. Any advice would be great.

Also I need to get out and autocross this thing! When are some good beginner events coming up?
I just moved from Florida a couple of months back so I had the same question.
Given the proximity to home, i took mine to BMW of Dallas. I had a rear tire puncture I needed replaced given that I have the wheel and tire insurance.
Arrived there at 8am with a last minute appointment and was out in 1.5 hours. I don't think it was that bad. Pleasantly surprised by the service. Zafar was my Service agent. He was really good and pushed to have the car ready quickly so I could get on my way...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #165
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elro View Post
I just moved from Florida a couple of months back so I had the same question.
Given the proximity to home, i took mine to BMW of Dallas. I had a rear tire puncture I needed replaced given that I have the wheel and tire insurance.
Arrived there at 8am with a last minute appointment and was out in 1.5 hours. I don't think it was that bad. Pleasantly surprised by the service. Zafar was my Service agent. He was really good and pushed to have the car ready quickly so I could get on my way...
Ok. I went by the other day to have my fenders looked at (rubbing the front right, totally stock) and spoke with Zafar. I told him I would need a loaner, so I have to call and schedule an appointment.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #166
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I would love to hear ya'll's opinions regarding a beginner driver wanting to get out on the track and Apex driving school. If there is another option like an open track day with an instructor that you guys feel would be better, please let me know. Thanks.
Just my personal opinion... No offense to anyone if they are an Apex instructor.

I would do TDE event for my first DE. They are doing MSR in July and there are still a lot of openings. Check them out www.thedriversedge.net .
Why... As a beginner you get really good classroom instruction with TDE. Over the course of the weekend, I believe there are 5 hour or so class rooms in addition to the 8 on track sessions. When not in class or on track, you can also ride along with Red run group (most experienced) and instructors. TDE gives you a really good "basic" start on the race line and car dynamics.

I have never done an Apex event but from what I have heard from others who have is that they are not as structured as TDE. That is not to say they are not good events. The track session times, schedule, and cost are all good things and appealing. I am tempted to run the 1.3 with them as I have never just run it alone but it's not working with my schedule right now.

I guess I am probably bias coming up thru the ranks of TDE. TDE was my first DE and it was at Eagles Canyon in my old MINI JCW. Complete with run flats and OEM brakes at it was 102 degrees out and I had no car issues...not even brakes (ECR is a brake killer). I had a lot of fun and became hooked after my first session so I just stuck with them since it was familar to me and everyone I knew was going with TDE.

Mark/Robert - As instructors, I would love to hear what you think as well?

Whatever you do... Just have fun and don't go in with ego/attitude. This car will do a WHOLE lot more than what you think it will. It is a blast to drive on a track!!!

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #167
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime View Post
Whatever you do... Just have fun and don't go in with ego/attitude. This car will do a WHOLE lot more than what you think it will. It is a blast to drive on a track!!!
Thanks for the advice! Seems to be priced well considering it is a 2-day event compared to a 1-day event. Now I am leaning towards this...but would love to hear others opinions.

I have no ego what so ever as I have never done anything like this in my life haha. But I didn't spend countless hours searching for a 1M to just drive it around on the street, the reason I bought this car is so I would get out there and try this stuff. I am so excited to get it out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #168
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Audi TTS, '17 500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
On GB? Yep that was me Was coming back from Robbins Bros of all places. I do love seeing other 1ms on the road. It's amazing the presence they command! Yours is actually only the second orange one I've seen outside the delivery center. Looked good!

Thats awesome. I just saw something coming up behind me fast that had nice headlights and REALLY wide fenders. I thought it might be a Porsche or something. I was blown away to see a black 1M! It was my first time to see one on the road in motion, AND in black. Looked so menacing!!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #169
mbintx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i, Miata, and a truck

Both Driver's Edge and Apex do very nice job providing a safe environment in which to learn. Honestly, it all comes down to getting an instructor you hit if off with and that understands both your skill set AND your car.

As a biased person (MSR member), I would suggest going to an MSR event over an ECR event. In terms of track layout and quality, it's the better option...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #170
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbintx View Post
Both Driver's Edge and Apex do very nice job providing a safe environment in which to learn. Honestly, it all comes down to getting an instructor you hit if off with and that understands both your skill set AND your car.

As a biased person (MSR member), I would suggest going to an MSR event over an ECR event. In terms of track layout and quality, it's the better option...
I agree with you on MSR over ECR (too bumpy, not a lot of run off).

Also agree on the instructor that you get along with. I have been lucky so far only had one that I didn't like. We were not a good fit. I asked for someone else after my first session ended.

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #171
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Anyone going to cars and coffee tomorrow?

Thinking of heading there with my buddies (993c2 and 97 M3), would love to meet some other 1m guys!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #172
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas F1 View Post
I did talk to Terry a few minutes ago and this is essentially what he told me. There is currently one company making these plates for the 1M and they have experienced a high failure rate. Vorshlag will not rush these to the market until and unless the design and engineering solutions can ensure a good result. But it does sound like these are on their radar.
Just texted Terry a photo of my poor front tires...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #173
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Hey guys. I have owned my 1M for a few months now and obviously I love it. As fun as it is on the street, I feel I am only barely scratching the surface and it just isn't a safe environment to enjoy this car. I want to hit the track, here's the problem: I have never tracked a car before.

Looking at the Motorsport Ranch event calendar I see Apex racing school pop up about once a month. Thinking about biting the bullet and registering for the June session (wish I could do May, but this is a busy month for me). Anyone have any experience with Apex? They have bring your own car events and I also believe I can rent a car out there. I would lean towards driving my own car for various reasons. That said, I would like to hear opinions about this for a novice driver. Last thing I want to do is get in over my head with too much car and make a stupid mistake.

I have not done an Apex event.. but I have a friend who organizes them. If you are considering going to their event then let me check and perhaps I can instruct... as long as it's not June 8th...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #174
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Ein View Post
Thats awesome. I just saw something coming up behind me fast that had nice headlights and REALLY wide fenders. I thought it might be a Porsche or something. I was blown away to see a black 1M! It was my first time to see one on the road in motion, AND in black. Looked so menacing!!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #175
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime View Post
nice to meet you too mark. i did take your advice on the horse shoe, boot hill, tombstone corner on my next session and was really able to lay down the power full throttle even before fully exiting the corner. made a hell of a difference. my best lap was a 2:33 on street tires that have been heat cycled out now. I avg though was 2:36 which i hit consistently from the 2nd session to the end of the event when i had clear running.

i really wanted to catch a ride with you after i saw the conti's on your car at the grid but i never was able to find or catch you. LOL...i could have tried harder tho.

good event with lots of seat time...time for some R-Comps and adj camber plates now. I think I have worked my skill level up to it. I'll try to get some video up this weekend of one of my best sessions.

what was up with the flamingo's on the second day btw???
I am not sure about the flamingos... I asked a couple of people and no one knows.. rather amusing though!

So you gained 3 seconds from that change? Wow that is huge!

I was super busy on Sunday... Wanted to jump back in the car with you and would have definintely enjoyed taking you out... perhaps we can meet up again and set that up!

The conti's on a stock car made it the fastest thing on track this weekend, as Brian indicated. It's amazing to take a bone stock car out and be able to leave the traction control on be one of the fastest cars. Not fast enough? Turn off the traction control and just start crushing people. I gave out several rides and a few drives to friends, and after a session where I fairly easily outpaced a really good driver with a stock E46 M3 (even though I was running with MDM on) I ended with a corded/flat spotted right rear so I missed some time at the end of the day. Already got another take off mounted up!

I have some PFC-01 pads to put on, and I think I will keep using the take offs for track days.

Camber plates are the only non stock part that I really want right now...... And I definitely would prefer Vorshlag.

Until then, I plan to keep on feeding the beast tires!

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 05-04-2012 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #176
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

So you gained 3 seconds from that change? Wow that is huge!
Well I don't think I gained it all there but it helped. I think I picked up also thru ricochet (less brake, earlier apex), big bend (less brake, later apex but i moved it to 3ft or so to the left of the cone), and the down hill of the 1.3 (got my braking and turn in points nailed which led to a faster run up to the left hairpin). I only did this time ONCE though...could probably have been more consistent in the low 2:30's with R-comps.

Here is my last session on Sunday playing with my buddy Dave in the 350Z. I tried like hell for the last 3 events just to keep up with him and it finally all came together. He passes me and then has to let me go back by cause he cant shake me..both videos below.

My view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxEiclxkQnE

His view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvpfLmFs8BQ

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA

Last edited by Mnime; 05-04-2012 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0