BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #3521
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slampig View Post
It's a sad day, I just can't justify owning my 135is anymore. What is everyones thought's on selling outright versus a lease transfer. I think it's value is higher than what i still owe:/
Just curious, what's your reason for wanting to get rid of it?

If its worth more than what you owe on it, thats better than the other way around!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #3522
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post
Nothing like driving a rental car to make you appreciate your daily driver, no matter what it is!
My other car is a Prius. Talk about helping to appreciating your 1er...
2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #3523
slampig
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
Just curious, what's your reason for wanting to get rid of it?

If its worth more than what you owe on it, thats better than the other way around!
My Current driving situation is not condusive to a car that is nice and has a mileage restriction, so now i just drive my old e30 every day and only take the 1'er to the gym or grocery store. I hate taking those short drives becasue i know its not good for the car.
My plan is to get rid of it now save some cash and get an M3/4 maybe a 1M in a couple years when my commute is better.
2013 135is, #206/586
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #3524
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slampig View Post
My Current driving situation is not condusive to a car that is nice and has a mileage restriction, so now i just drive my old e30 every day and only take the 1'er to the gym or grocery store. I hate taking those short drives becasue i know its not good for the car.
My plan is to get rid of it now save some cash and get an M3/4 maybe a 1M in a couple years when my commute is better.
NONSENSE!!

my philosophy is buy the best car you can to commute in. i commute 120 miles a day through NYC and the 135is was my DD.....until i traded it in for the 1M.

The commute should never be a boring/dull/depressing time. It should be INVIGORATING and happy.

I am so sick and tired of hearing the 'surrender' attitude about commuting......
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #3525
meg180
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
NONSENSE!!

my philosophy is buy the best car you can to commute in. i commute 120 miles a day through NYC and the 135is was my DD.....until i traded it in for the 1M.

The commute should never be a boring/dull/depressing time. It should be INVIGORATING and happy.

I am so sick and tired of hearing the 'surrender' attitude about commuting......
+1 My 135is is my daily driver here in Staten Island. (land of potholes) I just think of it as a slalom.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #3526
slampig
Private
Rep

Quote:
NONSENSE!!

The e30 vert is plenty fun to commute in and i don't mind destroying it on the country back roads, that's why i bought it, and i need to own at least one manual car.
2013 135is, #206/586
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #3527
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slampig
Quote:
NONSENSE!!

The e30 vert is plenty fun to commute in and i don't mind destroying it on the country back roads, that's why i bought it, and i need to own at least one manual car.
well done..you're right an E30 is surely fun to drive around in...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #3528
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
in other news I saw the M4 in person today and I yawned....very disappointing to look at. Hardly any fenders and just looks like an ordinary 435 with a CF roof.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #3529
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
in other news I saw the M4 in person today and I yawned....very disappointing to look at. Hardly any fenders and just looks like an ordinary 435 with a CF roof.
Totally. The F80 M3 at least has the right amount of fender flare and looks pretty mean. The M4 just looks like a 435.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 10:49 PM   #3530
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Isn't that exactly what I said last Saturday? Front is nice, but that's it. From the side it just looks like a 435. Beautiful color though. =P

Oh ya, and i just got back, WITH my performance suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #3531
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Brief Teaser on Performance Suspension

Hey guys,

Long day as I got about 2-3 hours of sleep tops, then drove 100 miles each way to get the suspension picked up and installed. I'm going to go collapse and will come back later and give a longer and more articulate description of my initial thoughts and impressions on the performance suspension which I'll probably do as a main post on the forum.

In short though, it's a really great upgrade and feels amazing. Body roll is significantly reduced, but basically the entire car feels more stable, more planted, less jittery and squirrelly and bouncy, just tight and composed. It feels SOLID. A lot of that vertical travel is eliminated, but it's not harsh in any way shape or form. It kinda feels like the suspension equivalent of switching from runflats to PSS if that makes sense.

The really bad thing though is feels so composed and confident and handles so well, that it really inspires you to drive MUCH faster because the suspension feels less on edge. It eats the road for breakfast. Really great setup for a normal, daily driver with occasional spirited driving.

Initially, for the first minute or two, I'm like okay, I can feel the difference in my butt as basically lil bumps and stuff it feels like you get 50% of the vertical travel in the suspension. And when you do go over bumps, it feels like it's absorbed and kinda like a gentle thud as opposed to something jarring or twitchy as it was before. I could tell in the first turn I took though, which I didn't take fast, was just making a right hand turn to get on the freeway, but there was no body roll at all.

Later on my drive home though, as i'm plowing down PCH and the 101 doing 80+ mph, it felt even better at high speed. It's hard to describe. I took a bunch of pictures during the install which I'll probably post tomorrow along with more detailed thoughts. But here's a teaser shot of how it looked after about 50 miles of driving on it. Note that I'm on stock 215/245 sizes. I'll get a much better sense Thursday and Friday though how it handles my commute to work as there are numerous areas on my commute I drive on that are very bouncy or have jarring drops and such that were pretty extreme with the stock suspension, even on PSS. Enjoy!

EDIT - I'm adding in some more pics of the size of the boxes to the install and a couple more after photos
Attached Images

Last edited by gregthegr8; 07-09-2014 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 05:26 AM   #3532
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
nice Greg!!! seems like you are digging it!! how much did it get lowered on the new suspension? 10mm? more? I like the fact that it looks most stock with a slight touch of lowering

that's supposed to be a really good shop right? HPautosport?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #3533
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Hey guys,

Long day as I got about 2-3 hours of sleep tops, then drove 100 miles each way to get the suspension picked up and installed. I'm going to go collapse and will come back later and give a longer and more articulate description of my initial thoughts and impressions on the performance suspension which I'll probably do as a main post on the forum.

In short though, it's a really great upgrade and feels amazing. Body roll is significantly reduced, but basically the entire car feels more stable, more planted, less jittery and squirrelly and bouncy, just tight and composed. It feels SOLID. A lot of that vertical travel is eliminated, but it's not harsh in any way shape or form. It kinda feels like the suspension equivalent of switching from runflats to PSS if that makes sense.

The really bad thing though is feels so composed and confident and handles so well, that it really inspires you to drive MUCH faster because the suspension feels less on edge. It eats the road for breakfast. Really great setup for a normal, daily driver with occasional spirited driving.

Initially, for the first minute or two, I'm like okay, I can feel the difference in my butt as basically lil bumps and stuff it feels like you get 50% of the vertical travel in the suspension. And when you do go over bumps, it feels like it's absorbed and kinda like a gentle thud as opposed to something jarring or twitchy as it was before. I could tell in the first turn I took though, which I didn't take fast, was just making a right hand turn to get on the freeway, but there was no body roll at all.

Later on my drive home though, as i'm plowing down PCH and the 101 doing 80+ mph, it felt even better at high speed. It's hard to describe. I took a bunch of pictures during the install which I'll probably post tomorrow along with more detailed thoughts. But here's a teaser shot of how it looked after about 50 miles of driving on it. Note that I'm on stock 215/245 sizes. I'll get a much better sense Thursday and Friday though how it handles my commute to work as there are numerous areas on my commute I drive on that are very bouncy or have jarring drops and such that were pretty extreme with the stock suspension, even on PSS. Enjoy!

EDIT - I'm adding in some more pics of the size of the boxes to the install and a couple more after photos
Finally Greg!!! I've been anticipating your post yesterday.

Looks like you are already in love with the performance suspension even with minimal seat time. I can't wait to hear your feedback after more seat time.

Your car looks stunning!!! Especially with those 313 wheels.

I can't believe how clean your hub is. Mine was rusted to hell.

The yellow springs are a nice touch, isn't it?

EDIT: I love the last picture. It's a nice 3/4 shot and seems like the clouds hid the sun. The reflections of the clouds and surroundings are amazing and the gloomy weather made your car look wet.
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals

Last edited by Marc08EX; 07-10-2014 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #3534
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
Dude - I must have hit refresh 1,000 times yesterday looking for your update. Finally had to call it a night

So glad you finally got it installed and back home. I'm sure you're stoked to have it back in the garage after a long day. Great write-up. Can't wait to hear more. The IS looks fantastic in the pics.

You said the beast eats the road for breakfast. It already did that before the suspension upgrade, so I can imagine how much better it must feel now - especially at high speeds. Gonna have to come out to LA and take it for a spin...
2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #3535
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep
Drives: 135is, X3

Looking good I agree ride height looks almost stock, but maybe it'll sag a bit more with mileage as the springs settle in.
Glad you're loving the feel so far, it almost sounds like it makes the car more compliant and at the same time it makes it handle better, which is amazing!
      07-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #3536
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Hey guys,

Congratulations on this fantastic upgrade! Glad to hear the results are what you were expecting. Man, I'm so jealous right now... wonder if we can organize a group buy on the required parts!

Quote:
My left rear hub is absolutely rusted to hell! The right rear hub looks better, and the fronts are OK. I think some folks apply some sort of lube to the hubs make the wheels easier to remove, but mine are too much of a mess to consider doing anything but replacing the hubs first.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #3537
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
nice Greg!!! seems like you are digging it!! how much did it get lowered on the new suspension? 10mm? more?
that's supposed to be a really good shop right? HPautosport?
Just took it on the horrible gauntlet of my drive to work which is a real torture test for suspensions and love it even more. I can't even imagine how the 1M feels. It's supposed to be a 10mm (~0.4 inch) drop, so very subtle, but looks nice.

And to me at least, HP Autosport (Autowerks) is the premiere shop to go to for anything and everything e82. They know our cars like the back of their hands, having a 135 and 1M shop cars for years, and doing countless upgrades. One of the techs working on my car said he's done probably over 250 suspension installs on e82s, so taking the entire trunk lining apart and back together again is second hand nature to him. That's why I drove the 100 miles to have them put it on. They were awesome and meticulous and know their stuff.

Quote:

Your car looks stunning!!! Especially with those 313 wheels.

The yellow springs are a nice touch, isn't it?

EDIT: I love the last picture. It's a nice 3/4 shot and seems like the clouds hid the sun. The reflections of the clouds and surroundings are amazing and the gloomy weather made your car look wet.
Ya, they commented on how clean and new everything looked, too. Not sure about the hubs though and why they're so clean. The yellow springs look awesome going on, but not sure how much if at all anyone can see them once the tires are back on. And if you thought my car looked good there, wait til I detail it in the next couple of weeks. Hasn't been more than just washed since November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen2001 View Post
Dude - I must have hit refresh 1,000 times yesterday looking for your update. Finally had to call it a night

You said the beast eats the road for breakfast. It already did that before the suspension upgrade, so I can imagine how much better it must feel now - especially at high speeds. Gonna have to come out to LA and take it for a spin...
Sorry I kept everyone in suspense. I forgot to bring my laptop with and was having too much fun driving. Plus, to avoid traffic back to LA, I went and saw a movie, too. hehe.

See, I disagree that it ate the road for breakfast before. I thought it was just okay and never really inspired me to want to say to myself, I want to go canyon carving. NOW though, I WANT to go drive it everywhere and everywhere and the suspension is just so composed and carves up and makes quick work of whatever the road throws at it and handles like a mutha f---a!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorchimp View Post
Looking good I agree ride height looks almost stock, but maybe it'll sag a bit more with mileage as the springs settle in.
Glad you're loving the feel so far, it almost sounds like it makes the car more compliant and at the same time it makes it handle better, which is amazing!
I think it may settle a hair in the coming days. May have settled on the rest of my drive home. Someone stole my normal spot at work where I did take measurements, so hopefully I'll get to do that tomorrow. But yes, the handling and composure is dramatically imposed and I would say absolutely zero harshness. It feels like it absorbs bumps and abnormalities better, body roll has been dramatically improved, and the handling is awesome, or at least a great improvement. It instill some serious confidence and makes me want to drive much quicker.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #3538
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:

See, I disagree that it ate the road for breakfast before. I thought it was just okay and never really inspired me to want to say to myself, I want to go canyon carving. NOW though, I WANT to go drive it everywhere and everywhere and the suspension is just so composed and carves up and makes quick work of whatever the road throws at it and handles like a mutha f---a!

So, Greg.... is it safe to say you are finally DONE renting Hyundais to get your handling fix?!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #3539
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
So, Greg.... is it safe to say you are finally DONE renting Hyundais to get your handling fix?!
Yes, I am done and if I'm going somewhere, I'm going in MY car! She is now perfect.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #3540
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
That is honestly the perfect drop. It's funny how eve us 135is owners have a different mentality when it comes to modding out cars. We love the 'is' package so much want to do little as possible to significantly change the original car so even the most subtle upgrades are perfect. If anything the PS should've been part of the 135is like the other Performamce parts. I'm confined, I'm going down the PS route once I hit 60k (which for me isn't very long, already at 20k and only got the car last Sept).
      07-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #3541
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
That is honestly the perfect drop. It's funny how eve us 135is owners have a different mentality when it comes to modding out cars. We love the 'is' package so much want to do little as possible to significantly change the original car so even the most subtle upgrades are perfect. If anything the PS should've been part of the 135is like the other Performamce parts. I'm confined, I'm going down the PS route once I hit 60k (which for me isn't very long, already at 20k and only got the car last Sept).
Yes, I agree with that as well, which is why most of us probably got the IS package as opposed to a stripper 135 and then slammed it and put a JB4 on it, etc. etc. I like to think we're a classier, more refined bunch perhaps.

They really should have put the PS on the car to begin with, but guess they're cheapos. It really suits the car perfectly and transformed the car. I think it's a no brainer, all benefit, no downside improvement like the PE or getting PSS tires. Nobody should question it or if it's an improvement or worth the money.

One other note after talking to the tech there about the suspension setup and the weak links in it. They said aside from the shocks and springs, that the front control arms really are a weak link and upgrading to the m3 ones is a major improvement and turns in a lot better, too in case anyone was interested or curious. 3002 tii, you already have those I believe, so you probably know full well about their improvement.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #3542
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Yes, I am done and if I'm going somewhere, I'm going in MY car! She is now perfect.
Glad you're happy with your car Greg. It looks great! If your boner last for more than 4 hours, go to the emergency room.

Last edited by Esteban; 07-10-2014 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0