BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport Limited Edition

Audio Upgrades

I'm new here. From Brisbane.

So I didn't realise we have our very own home here for Australian owners! :headbang:

I've searched thorugh the threads and haven't come up with much in the way of dicussion about audio upgrades.

While I'm totally clueless about sound systems, amps, tweeters etc., I do feel I have very good ear and I do know one thing. The standard system fitted in Australian cars is absolutely PATHETIC. I really need to do something about it...FAST.

I'm considering either just getting BMW to do the upgrade, if they can (need to find out the cost of this and actually hear the system), or going aftermarket. But I don't want any after market parts exposed in the interior. I have absolutely no idea where or how to start and would really appreciate if anybody could provide some advice and guide me through the process.

I'm trying to achieve stunning sound at a decent price. :biggrin:

Anyone done anything, have any suggestions etc?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

My feeling is aftermarket stereos degrade the value of BMWs. I'd opt for the top end BMW system and get it factory, once tweaked it sounds VERY good.
Feed it good quality material via the USB interface and you'll be impressed.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I agree with Kris, the upgraded premium stereo system is sharp....if you feed it quality 192kpbs or higher material. Well worth the upgrade in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Dealer just told me BMW upgrade is only possible at production. I've already taken delivery of my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
white 125M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White 125 M Sport

Nice car, by the way. That's the same colour choice inside and out that we've chosen. I had the same engine you've got in my old 2.5si Z4 that I recently sold - great car and great engine.

Cheers,

Phil
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 12:48 AM   #6
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Copy pasted from your other thread :biggrin:

I would reccomend heading to a dedicated car audio store and not somewhere like Autobarn/JB hifi. Northfield Moorooka, GCCS Slacks Creek etc would be your best bets. They will have more experience dealing with late model european cars. See Drew at Northfield, or George at GCCS.

What exactly were you looking in the upgrade? More volume? More bass? Better quality sound? And what is your budget?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 01:00 AM   #7
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Cope pasted from your other thread :biggrin:

I would reccomend heading to a dedicated car audio store and not somewhere like Autobarn/JB hifi. Northfield Moorooka, GCCS Slacks Creek etc would be your best bets. They will have more experience dealing with late model european cars. See Drew at Northfield, or George at GCCS.

What exactly were you looking in the upgrade? More volume? More bass? Better quality sound? And what is your budget?
Thanks BBK. Yes motorline BMW advised me to talk to Phil at Northfield on Kessels Road.

More of everything really, but not so much a huge amount of bass. Just a well balanced high quality sound that can go LOUD without distortion when I want to. The Audi standard systems are great for a stock system. Why is BMW so pathetic? Becuase we as owners tolerate it. We should complain when they do their customer service surverys!

Not sure what audio components usually cost?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 01:18 AM   #8
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m01lim View Post
Thanks BBK. Yes motorline BMW advised me to talk to Phil at Northfield on Kessels Road.

More of everything really, but not so much a huge amount of bass. Just a well balanced high quality sound that can go LOUD without distortion when I want to. The Audi standard systems are great for a stock system. Why is BMW so pathetic? Becuase we as owners tolerate it. We should complain when they do their customer service surverys!

Not sure what audio components usually cost?
Ahhh! I saw your car at the delivery bay at Motorline last week! :thumbup:

Yes BMW stereo's are pretty horrible... Got rid of the system in my first Mini VERY quickly. And for only $1300 installed, it was a massive change. Although I used to manage a car stereo store so I had some 'mates rates' apply :smile:

I'd suggest replacing the front speakers, running a 4 channel amp with decent power, and a 10-12" sub. What sort of budget do you have?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 01:28 AM   #9
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

I'd spend around $1500 I guess. Do you think the rear speakers are good enough to cope if the fronts are upgraded?

What power is the standard system BBK? Could you please explain exactly what an AMP does? I defenitely don't want to change the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 03:32 AM   #10
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Changing the head unit would probably be a painful and expensive exercise anyway.

An amplifier is basically the power source for the sound. The factory head unit has its own 'tiny' amp inside which powers the speakers. May only have around 10-12wRMS of power. An amp with 50wRMS + per channel is what I'd suggest.

You would only be powering the front speakers and the sub with the amp so the rear speakers would still run off the factory head unit. You can fade them out a little, or altogether if you wanted, as the amped front speakers will be enough.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 04:17 AM   #11
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Hmm. Not having the rear speakers, I'd be concerned about not having a balanced sound, particularly for rear seat passengers. :iono:

I've heard alpine are great speakers, any other brands I should consider?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #12
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
I personally don't like sound coming from behind me, ruins the front stage height/depth but that's just me... What type of music do you listen to?

Alpine make some decent stuff, used to own a set of F#1 Status splits that were $3k alone! Other brands to have a look at would be Focal, Dynaudio (too pricey though) and Boston Accoustics. Depends on what type of sound you prefer I guess, do you like high pitched treble or a more mellow sound?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 07:42 AM   #13
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

I like a full rich sound. Too much trebble is a no no but then so is overpowering bass. I guess a smooth range overall. Something that can play all sorts of music really as I don't just listen to one genre.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 07:45 AM   #14
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I've upgraded the rear speakers with some 4" alpines. I've also tried these in the front however am now looking at installing 5" in the front.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17347

The problem with speaker options is the limited depth available for installation.
The maximum depth that will fit in the front is about 45mm.

Once I find the right speaker, I will then install a 4 channel AMP.

There is also a BMW OEM option available. see attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Alpine HiFi.pdf (120.2 KB, 240 views)
File Type: pdf Alpine_install_instructions.pdf (428.1 KB, 167 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #15
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
I've upgraded the rear speakers with some 4" alpines. I've also tried these in the front however am now looking at installing 5" in the front.

The problem with speaker options is the limited depth available for installation.

Thanks! Has anyone here installed that Alpine Kit.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #16
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

I'm so glad I ordered the pro high-end sound system with Logic 7.

There's nothing quite like driving through the school drive-thru at pick-up time, past the other parents in their Mercs, Volvos, the odd F430 and Maserati with ACDC's "Thunderstruck" at close to full bore! At least the daughter appreciates it!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #17
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

hhahaha amk
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #18
Bigbhoy
Rep
Drives:

Alright Lads,

I need someone to spell this out for me in plain english! I have a 135i on order and didnt opt for any upgrade in sound. (Bog Standard)

Would i be correct in saying that this sytem comes with
2 fronts in the door wells
2 rear speakers
3 subs under the seats? All powered out the headunit/or is there an amp located somewhere in the car?

In my last BMW, I bought an Alpine V12 3 channel amp and bascially ran the speakers through the amp initially.. The sound quality was awesome..

Has anyone looked into this?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #19
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbhoy View Post
Alright Lads,

I need someone to spell this out for me in plain english! I have a 135i on order and didnt opt for any upgrade in sound. (Bog Standard)

Would i be correct in saying that this sytem comes with
2 fronts in the door wells
2 rear speakers
3 subs under the seats? All powered out the headunit/or is there an amp located somewhere in the car?

In my last BMW, I bought an Alpine V12 3 channel amp and bascially ran the speakers through the amp initially.. The sound quality was awesome..

Has anyone looked into this?
2 fronts, 2 rears and 2 subs under the seat and a very weak amp built into the head unit.

I would upgrade just to avoid all this aftermarket stuff. The sound from the standard system is SHOCKING!

I have spoken to a guy who is meant to be an expert in BMW sound and he reckons the speakers are actually quite good. It is the standard amp that is very underpowered. He suggested I keep the original speakers and install an amp and maybe an additional sub to keep costs down. Only if I really wanted to would I need to replace any of the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #20
Bigbhoy
Rep
Drives:

thanks man,

The 3 subs was a typo, it was meant to be 2.

I may just buy a good quality amp and pay for a nice discreet install. I hate the whole bolt on aftermarket look so i will investigate what Amp will suit what i need.

Not after huge sound, i am all about the clarity though.

I have a GTI at the moment and the sound system in that is perfect for what i need so just looking to get the system somewhere close.

thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #21
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post

Whoa I just got a qoute from my dealer for the BMW OEM option. $1800.00 fitted. That seems EXPENSIVE for 4 speakers and an Amp no? It doesn't even include a sub!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 04:52 AM   #22
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m01lim View Post
Whoa I just got a qoute from my dealer for the BMW OEM option. $1800.00 fitted. That seems EXPENSIVE for 4 speakers and an Amp no? It doesn't even include a sub!
So guys $1800 is a bit ridiculous no?
Appreciate 0