BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #133
Micah D. Cranman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Messing over Nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Are you guys going to produce replacement subs? plug-play amp?
In development currently on both. We should be receiving our first replacement subwoofer prototypes next week for testing.

Plug and play amplifier is very close for HiFi and Base audio cars. We are currently testing amplifier prototypes. Top HiFi has some issues we need to overcome before it will be availble. Sorry, no ETAs on any of this -- we've gotten into trouble in the past with that and we're just not able to commit to firm dates at this time.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #134
Micah D. Cranman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
when will it be available for the 2010 base audio (coupe). Also, will it be just a door/rear speaker replacement, or will thier added tweeters (either in the door speakers or in a door-pod?

Thanks!
We could release just a door speaker replacement but it wouldn't be up to our standards. The kit will include added tweeters in the OEM locations by the rear view mirrors.

I can say that we did have an adventurous soul buy the HiFi kit for his Base Audio car with great results. He just bought the tweeter pods from the dealer and gutted them, sent us an email and raved about how great it sounds.

So at this point before we release the product, we need to finalize our testing on the kit and then source OEM style tweeter pods. Since we have primarily done only speaker manufacturing to this point, this is a new "type" of part to source so estimating when we'll have this completed is tough. If we're happy with the parts we get from our initial sources then probably 3 months, if not, hard to say. Just depends on finding a reliable, high quality supplier for these parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #135
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah D. Cranman View Post
In development currently on both. We should be receiving our first replacement subwoofer prototypes next week for testing.

Plug and play amplifier is very close for HiFi and Base audio cars. We are currently testing amplifier prototypes. Top HiFi has some issues we need to overcome before it will be availble. Sorry, no ETAs on any of this -- we've gotten into trouble in the past with that and we're just not able to commit to firm dates at this time.
I take it that the issues stem from the Logic7 stuff and how it is integrated into the stereo system?

Looking forward to seeing the subwoofers
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #136
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
i ordered my tweeter pods and seals from Dan at United. OEM BMW part, bout $90 i think for the set...obvisouly no crappy speakers, just the pods.
      03-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #137
Micah D. Cranman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
I take it that the issues stem from the Logic7 stuff and how it is integrated into the stereo system?

Looking forward to seeing the subwoofers
With Logic7 cars, we can't get a decent line-level signal without reprogramming the car's head unit, something we want to avoid customers having to do.

The other option is a signal summing / equalizing device, but that adds cost and complexity and isn't the best solution in terms of sound quality.

There are devices being developed by mObridge that will provide a line level audio signal from the fiber-optic connection without reprogramming, so that might be the best solution long-term.

So, essentially it's a question of choosing our evil with the L7 cars, something we haven't done yet because we are focused on other stuff. Fact is, very few of our customers with Logic7 want an amp upgrade after they get a Stage 1, so it's just not a priority.

Anyway, we're very excited about the subs, too!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #138
Micah D. Cranman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
i ordered my tweeter pods and seals from Dan at United. OEM BMW part, bout $90 i think for the set...obvisouly no crappy speakers, just the pods.
Thanks for sharing the info. In the short term, this may be the route we offer to customers until we can get the parts made for less.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #139
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

Quote:
That was a really good detailed install video. I just watched the whole thing.
      03-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #140
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

No summing required if the original xover point is within a half-octave of what you want. And I reject your assertion that all EQ is bad-sounding.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #141
Micah D. Cranman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
No summing required if the original xover point is within a half-octave of what you want. And I reject your assertion that all EQ is bad-sounding.
No, not all EQ is bad sounding, but we'd rather use less hardware than more if we can.

As for summing, depends on how we want to set up the system, yes.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #142
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The MoBridge device is one piece of HW, and so is whichever processor you choose, so it's a push, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #143
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
To those who have purchased in relation to value as a customer.

At 419 backorder price is it a "value" to you good buy for the price and quality etc?

Or is it still a value if purchased at the srp of 589 with the same considerations.

We all value things differently I will agree. I was just driving home tonight and listening to my stock hifi and it sounds fine for most of the duty I throw at it. Then it hit me about value for the product and cost. Does the price point change your opinion on the value of the goods purchased?

Thanks for the feedback in advance.
      03-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #144
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
But even then what phase shift is induced? And then that can produce a resonant fequency anomily against it's octave equivalents. Then if it becomes odd order - listener fatigue and on and on. That's why crossovers cost more than speakers. Bigger problems to solve. Best to let drivers naturally roll of against each other if possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #145
Micah D. Cranman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The MoBridge device is one piece of HW, and so is whichever processor you choose, so it's a push, right?
Not exactly. mObridge piece would deliver an unprocessed, flat signal as received from the HU as I understand it, while a processor would be reversing any previous processing and summing channels.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #146
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not exactly. mObridge piece would deliver an unprocessed, flat signal as received from the HU as I understand it, while a processor would be reversing any previous processing and summing channels.
But, again, summing is an option.

Your component count isn't changing.

And the Mobridge requires recoding too.

I think you have an opportunity for growth on your plan here, when you get around to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #147
Micah D. Cranman
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I think you have an opportunity for growth on your plan here, when you get around to it.
Maybe I've got my info mixed up -- I was under the impression the mObridge didn't require programming. If, in fact, it does, then obviously there's little point in using it vs. programming the car to act like a HiFi system.

Like I said, no firm plans yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #148
hats4bats
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

At the risk of keeping this manic thread alive, I should say that I installed the speakers in my 128i vert (US base sound - HiFi, but not TopHiFi) and am pretty happy. They're a solid upgrade over stock. I listen to my ipod mostly, but use lossless formats exclusively. Tunes in the ipod include everything from Haydn to Dave Matthews to '90s grunge and '80s new wave to Philip Glass.
I don't consider myself an audiophile at all - my home equipment is some mid-fi Harman Kardon components and some mid-range Mirage speakers - and I note that the limitations of a convertible as a soundstage will prevent my car from ever sounding like Carnegie Hall.
All that said, the sound from the new speakers is crisper, more robust, more true-to-life. The sound just feel "bigger" and consistently good up the volume scale. I worried that the subs would now become inadequate, but I feel like that hasn't been the case. There's more base response, it seems, from the mids and the sound feels full enough for my listening. To be clear, if you like jelly-in-your-belly shaking bass, you probably need better subs, but my setup suits me well enough for my taste.
I paid the pre-order vert price of $200-something and installed in a couple of hours (including some breaks). At that level it was well worth it (almost a bargain). My car audio experience went from being decent/so-so to being solid. Would I say the same thing at full retail? Maybe. I liked tinkering in the car and was glad to not have to pay an installer the prevailing local rate of $80-120/hr, but understand that some might say that the price/performance trade-off might be better with other components, or there would be better upgrades for marginally more money. And, if time and money were infinite, I'd probably like to start with an new amp, etc. At this point, though, I feel like -- given the vert's soundstage limitations -- I'm pretty far up my (declining) marginal benefit curve.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #149
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:

If the system is Top HiFi the mObridge preamp (as well as the MotusLab) does not require coding.

It is a direct replacement of the MOST amp.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #150
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hats4bats View Post
At the risk of keeping this manic thread alive, I should say that I installed the speakers in my 128i vert (US base sound - HiFi, but not TopHiFi) and am pretty happy. They're a solid upgrade over stock. I listen to my ipod mostly, but use lossless formats exclusively. Tunes in the ipod include everything from Haydn to Dave Matthews to '90s grunge and '80s new wave to Philip Glass.
I don't consider myself an audiophile at all - my home equipment is some mid-fi Harman Kardon components and some mid-range Mirage speakers - and I note that the limitations of a convertible as a soundstage will prevent my car from ever sounding like Carnegie Hall.
All that said, the sound from the new speakers is crisper, more robust, more true-to-life. The sound just feel "bigger" and consistently good up the volume scale. I worried that the subs would now become inadequate, but I feel like that hasn't been the case. There's more base response, it seems, from the mids and the sound feels full enough for my listening. To be clear, if you like jelly-in-your-belly shaking bass, you probably need better subs, but my setup suits me well enough for my taste.
I paid the pre-order vert price of $200-something and installed in a couple of hours (including some breaks). At that level it was well worth it (almost a bargain). My car audio experience went from being decent/so-so to being solid. Would I say the same thing at full retail? Maybe. I liked tinkering in the car and was glad to not have to pay an installer the prevailing local rate of $80-120/hr, but understand that some might say that the price/performance trade-off might be better with other components, or there would be better upgrades for marginally more money. And, if time and money were infinite, I'd probably like to start with an new amp, etc. At this point, though, I feel like -- given the vert's soundstage limitations -- I'm pretty far up my (declining) marginal benefit curve.

thanks for the feedback
      03-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #151
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
anybody here buy the BSW and upgraded a Logic 7 system?
i need 2 4" midranges , maybe more if the price is right
PM me whatcha got!
Appreciate 0