BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-20-2008, 10:08 PM   #23
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Ah neat - what did you think of Richard Perry-Jones?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #24
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Ah neat - what did you think of Richard Perry-Jones?
You lost me with your question. I assume this has something to do with Ford. That was 18-19 years ago for me BTW.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #25
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
For the other person, a sway bar doesn’t remove inpendency at all. It simply effectively increase the spring rate of the wheel that compresses while simultaneously unloads the opposing wheel.
I understand where you coming from with some of your logic but the first part of your statement here is completely flawed if you have an independent rear suspension. the second part of your statement proves it, if one wheel is loaded it unloads the other wheel. so the larger the rear bar the more effect one side has on the other. therefore reducing the independence of the two sides.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #26
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWeber View Post
I understand where you coming from with some of your logic but the first part of your statement here is completely flawed if you have an independent rear suspension. the second part of your statement proves it, if one wheel is loaded it unloads the other wheel. so the larger the rear bar the more effect one side has on the other. therefore reducing the independence of the two sides.
Weber -- thanks, I suspect I was the target of Orb's statement and started to react; but, elected not to post. I am not in the industry myself; but, I have quite a bit of track-set up experience with Porsches and other cars. Generally the better the car is set-up, the smaller the sway bars.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #27
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWeber View Post
My comments are not flawed at all. I am sure you’re not saying that all suspension systems that have sway bars have reduced suspension independence regardless of sway bar size because this doesn’t make any sense. It is part of the design of any modern day suspension system.

You’re saying that a larger sway bar effect the ability of the suspension to work independently from opposing sides is simply not true. There is no reduction in travel nor is there an induced displacement of the suspension due to a sway bar size increase. The unloading comments is exactly as it sound. The end results is reduced normal forces on the inside wheel and I think your scenes of scale of this force may be out or proportions. I assuming you got this idea off the internet and they never took the next step to explain it?

You need to think this over because I’m not sure were your heading with this. You do realize that the sway bar is nothing more than torsional spring and is not a member that will impose enough force to affect the suspension ability to work independently when engineered correctly. It is certainly possible to create a stiff enough torsion spring (sway bar) that it would in fact become a ridgid member at given load rate for a specific suspension design then the theory is true. However, this is like saying we will install 1500 lb/in spring of the front of the car. I am not willing to discuss such unpractical applications nor does it serve any purpose for arguments sake as it beyond the scope of design intent of this component.

I think you need to explain why you feel why the normal forces reduction on the inside wheel is such a negative thing other than inside wheel spin with an open differential. There is obviously is a lot factors involved such as wheel travel, spring stiffness, dampening, overall suspension design and most importantly application…what one wants to archive in a setup. This is why I say not to think in generalities for know application and then try to apply it to another as they are mostly wrong.

Orb
Appreciate 0