BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
me and some porsches

had a great weekend with the porsche club. a very strong competitive group of cars and drivers. the level of competition and jockeying for position was way more than I had previously experienced with other organizations. there were some very aggressive passing in the tightest of places. it was so much fun chasing fast porsches all day that in the process I finally managed to improve on my best time at this track. ending a 14 month frustrating drought. the car had many issues all day. I would keep getting reduced power and brake warning lights.

some of you may remember me filing my final report last month. well with all the harsh criticism I received for not being aggressive enough I had to go back and try harder. so purple durple I can't wait to hear your thoughts on my new videos. also sorry for being so vain and synching up the perfect audio video

10-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Great race I guess you enjoyed the feeling killing Porsches... Nice exhaust sound specially when shifting.

What is your wheel tire setup?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 03:10 AM   #3
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Great driving. Didn't watch the whole thing but looks like fun. Your exhaust sounds sweet!! I just wish I could drive for that long without LIMP
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 05:06 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Looking good PixelBlue. Here are my thoughts...

Turn 1). Use more of the exit. Sometimes it looked like you missed hitting the apex, other times you hit it well. But almost every time you are not rolling onto that little extra pavement(turn 2.) that joins the skid pad to turn 1. Use that little bit of the road as you exit turn 1 and slingshot out of it.

Turn 3). Why not use 3rd gear? You seems a little slow here. Then power out almost onto the alligator teeth on the exit. Then hug the center going down the hill.

Turn 4). The Chute... you can definitely go faster here. But as soon as the car straightens up you really need BRAKES NOW>! Going down the chute you should be close to flat out. At the top of the hill you can coast... but going down into it should be close to 90% throttle, then 100% braking into turn 5. When you do it right... you will be forced to the apex of turn 5 and then be pushed to the outer edge.

Turn 6a). this is a throw away turn. You are going too fast here. You should not get a lot of tire squeal here. Because you enter turn 5 so hard... you will be forced not to take the most ideal line... so don't worry about that. 6a is a write off... whats more important is setting up for 6b and gaining speed thru it and up the hill.

Turn 6b)... once you turn in here... you always want to be steadily on the throttle and building speed up the hill... not on off like you are. You want a gradual buildup. Its hard bc you can go too fast in the karosel and it will ruin your lap time. So take it easy in 6a, then always build speed thru out the following turns.

Turn 7). You have to turn in before you see the apex. This is where be steady on the throttle pays off. You don't want too much power too soon. You want a steady buildup of power thru up the hill.

Go under the bridge just slightly off to the right. A few times it looked like you would take the pit entrance. Try more towards the center or center right. Also the crown of the road here plays a role in the wet.

Turn 9). stay more to the left and then turn in fully to the apex. Stay off the curb. You can get into trouble fast here. And then unwind out onto the rumble strips aka alligator teeth. IF you every have to drive onto the dirt or drop one or two wheels off the road.. just ride it out! Don't be in a hurry to yang the car back onto pavement. MANY a car have been wrecked here by dropping half the car off the road and jerking it back on line. Just look at the pit wall guard rail for this evidence!

All in all a great drive by you. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Dac,
He's using gears 3,4,5 on the track..he's never in second.

Kori,
I do agree with him on a lot of points, you leave a lot of unused track and could get even faster there. Wish I could have ridden with you!! Stupid stupid clutch issues...kept me off track. Next time I'll make you give me a point by!!
      10-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Dac,

Did I say he was using 2nd gear? What I meant was why go thru turn 3 in 4th gear.

Another thing PixelBlue... When you shift from 5th to 3rd going into turn one... I kind of cringe bc sooner or later your gonna do the "money shift" and go from 5th to 1st gear!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Great race I guess you enjoyed the feeling killing Porsches... Nice exhaust sound specially when shifting.

What is your wheel tire setup?
I am riding on 17" 235/255 toyo RA1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Great driving. Didn't watch the whole thing but looks like fun. Your exhaust sounds sweet!! I just wish I could drive for that long without LIMP
was having the same problem myself. this time was not hear related but brake related. very very annoying
      10-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Dac,

Kori,
I do agree with him on a lot of points, you leave a lot of unused track and could get even faster there. Wish I could have ridden with you!! Stupid stupid clutch issues...kept me off track. Next time I'll make you give me a point by!!
I was bummed you couldn't challenge me buddy! guess we have wait until next year for that point by (ehem, not going to happen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Did I say he was using 2nd gear? What I meant was why go thru turn 3 in 4th gear.

Another thing PixelBlue... When you shift from 5th to 3rd going into turn one... I kind of cringe bc sooner or later your gonna do the "money shift" and go from 5th to 1st gear!
thanks David! all good advice! there's still room for improvement. I agree downshifting into 3 is a better way to take T3 however I don't like to veer left before taking T1. I think the hard transition unsettles the car a bit. the car is definitely capable shaving off a 2 more sec if the electronics stop interfering. I was down on power most of the day
      10-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:

Ah Ok...haha..sorry read that before the coffee hit me
      10-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

What kind of lap times do you turn at Summit Point?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
What kind of lap times do you turn at Summit Point?
David my best time now is 1:26.5. last year a pro turned a 1:26.2 in my car
      10-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple View Post
Looks good. Red Bull driver development should be calling any day now... they need someone to do audio for their cars i heard.
that's it?! come on man I was expecting a bit more cynicism
      10-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
Splinterz88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.86]
You were looking good out there pixelblue from what I saw. I was the guy with the BSM 1M. Thinking about getting a 135is as a track car down the line. PCA RTR is my favorite club to run with, much more challenging than BMWCCA ones I've been to so far.
#446 of 740
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
David my best time now is 1:26.5. last year a pro turned a 1:26.2 in my car
That is pretty darn fast for SPR!!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterz88 View Post
You were looking good out there pixelblue from what I saw. I was the guy with the BSM 1M. Thinking about getting a 135is as a track car down the line. PCA RTR is my favorite club to run with, much more challenging than BMWCCA ones I've been to so far.
I saw you there all the way in the back and wish we could have hanged out. we had a good group of E82s out there. next year for sure!
      10-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #16
Splinterz88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.86]
Yeah I was hanging out my friends. We usually make up 1/3 -1/2 of the bmws tracked at the RTR events.

Funny many of the people daily drive BMWs but track Porsches.
#446 of 740
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Good job! I love taking Porsches by surprise too.

You should get some kind of data logger so you can see the g's you are pulling under braking and in turns. This will help you see where you can get faster. If you are only pulling .8 or .9 g's in turns then you know you can take those turns faster. If you are only pulling .5-.6 g's under braking then you know you aren't braking hard enough or you are braking to soon. Full gas, full brake, everything else is a waste of time or so my driving instructor use to say. Now obviously that isn't always the case, but try to keep from lifting before braking zones. Go straight from full throttle to full brake in those areas. If you listen to the audio its hard to tell, but it seems that you do that a few times in the same spot.

All in all very good and that track seems wicked fast. Fifth gear in the straights?! You have to be doing like 135/140 at the end of the straight. It's no wonder your brakes hate you!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #18
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterz88 View Post
Funny many of the people daily drive BMWs but track Porsches.
I did this same event with RTR last year. There was a guy parked across from me who brought his GT3 race car on a trailer.

He told me he was very interested in the 1 series and was hoping he could snag a 1M, "because my boy is turning 16 soon".
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #19
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutattoo View Post
Good job! I love taking Porsches by surprise too.

You should get some kind of data logger so you can see the g's you are pulling under braking and in turns. This will help you see where you can get faster. If you are only pulling .8 or .9 g's in turns then you know you can take those turns faster. If you are only pulling .5-.6 g's under braking then you know you aren't braking hard enough or you are braking to soon. Full gas, full brake, everything else is a waste of time or so my driving instructor use to say. Now obviously that isn't always the case, but try to keep from lifting before braking zones. Go straight from full throttle to full brake in those areas. If you listen to the audio its hard to tell, but it seems that you do that a few times in the same spot.

All in all very good and that track seems wicked fast. Fifth gear in the straights?! You have to be doing like 135/140 at the end of the straight. It's no wonder your brakes hate you!
I use harry's laptimer. love it! I study the data very carefully. ton of useful info you can decipher. HLT is showing me hitting -.8 g braking into T1 that's from 142 mph down to 42 mph. I am attaching a screenshot from one lap. the red indicates 1.4+ g. btw my brakes are still stock minus pads and fluid
Attached Images

10-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Based on what instructors have told me, the ideal entry speed for turn 1 is about 55. Your 142 means you're 6 mph braver than me through turn 10.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #21
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Based on what instructors have told me, the ideal entry speed for turn 1 is about 55. Your 142 means you're 6 mph braver than me through turn 10.
Gary,
my best T10 exit speed to date is 78 mph but that was on my slicks last year. so far I haven't been able to go faster than 75. it's funny because I wasn't recording such high g's on the slicks. not sure if I quite understand how
      10-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #22
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
Gary,
my best T10 exit speed to date is 78 mph but that was on my slicks last year. so far I haven't been able to go faster than 75. it's funny because I wasn't recording such high g's on the slicks. not sure if I quite understand how
Makes me question the lap timer, maybe since one has a stiffer sidewall it gives it less pronounced roll. Just a theory who knows. 1.4g's is freakin super high. Anything over 1.1 g's in my car there better be some camber in the turn or I'm going for a spin.

I do think even with stock rotors .8g's under braking still leaves you room to brake harder as long as it's not downhill. I have the same setup stock rotors/calipers w/Ferodo pads and Motul fluid I can hit 1g under braking while going straight or uphill. Downhill depending on the speed is in that .8 -.9 range.

How much negative camber do you run? And how does the sound on your video not sound like wind? Do you have a mic on the back bumper?
Appreciate 0